Thread: What if you start the civil war on your own?

Default What if you start the civil war on your own?

Every previous campaign I've played, I've been forced into the civil war. Well now I have 5 good stacks of Scippi, the Marian reforms haven't kicked in even though it's like 212 (I've been having problems getting Capua over the 24k hump) If I just up and attack the senate will there be any consequences that I wouldn't normally face in the civil war? Thanks,
    Icewolf
    "They shall know the power of thy sword" ManoWar

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Default Re: What if you start the civil war on your own?

did you have the "chance for power" event ?

if not, I don't think you can even attack your fellow romans

Quote Originally Posted by IceWolf
    Every previous campaign I've played, I've been forced into the civil war. Well now I have 5 good stacks of Scippi, the Marian reforms haven't kicked in even though it's like 212 (I've been having problems getting Capua over the 24k hump) If I just up and attack the senate will there be any consequences that I wouldn't normally face in the civil war? Thanks,
    Icewolf
    Then you´re lucky, that never happened to me, making my mid-to-late games rather boring.

Once you got the "Chance to Power" event message there are a couple of ways to start the Civil War, either by trying to assassinate a Senate (or fellow Roman) character and failing, by attacking one of their cities or armies directly or by cancelling the alliance and military access with the Senate.

the oats that are mighty Member mightilyoats's Avatar

As noted, you need the "chance to power" event (8 or more popularity with the people). Or, you could get the senate to hate you (2 or less popularity with senate). They will ask your leader to commit suicide.

Unfortunately there is no other way to start the war. You have to wait for these events. The game stops you from commiting any acts of war on other Romans before that.

Can you ask non-roman allies to attack the others before the war?
    S-U-C-E-S! That's the way you spell... suces?

Post Re: What if you start the civil war on your own?

Hi IceWolf,
    Nope, nothing nasty that is any different. The only problem is that, by starting the civil war through attacking the senate, is that the other Roman factions will always support the senate - I have, sadly, never seen anything any different. However, if you desire, you can always stop the civil war once you have destroyed the senate! Simply go to the Roman faction which you have had no conflict with, ask for a ceasefire, then an alliance and the war is over - the other faction almost always ends the war with you. Even better than that, should the other faction which you have had conflict with attack you, then the other faction will often end their alliance with them and follow you! Unfortunately, this only works should you have had no conflict over the past, approximately, forty turns with the faction that you are brokering with. If that is not the case then it may be worth a try, yet it will most likely fail. Hope this helps you, cheers!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

The one difference i experienced was that once i attacked a roman faction, all three of us were outlawed. Alas, soon the Julii and Scipii signed a cease fire, and that was it. they are NOT allies anymore, but they are neutral ( i guess) to eachother. The senate wanted me to attack them both and each of them to attack the other two, since they refused, apparently, we all three were outlawed. Big deal. I am enemy with them anyway. The only way i could start the civil war sooner, was to exploit some of my General's traits and ancillaries ( the 'minus popularity with the senate and plus popularity with the people, easiest way to get it is to get ALL your generals the ''vanquisher'' trait etc.).

Y.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot
    Hi IceWolf,
    Nope, nothing nasty that is any different. The only problem is that, by starting the civil war through attacking the senate, is that the other Roman factions will always support the senate - I have, sadly, never seen anything any different. However, if you desire, you can always stop the civil war once you have destroyed the senate! Simply go to the Roman faction which you have had no conflict with, ask for a ceasefire, then an alliance and the war is over - the other faction almost always ends the war with you. Even better than that, should the other faction which you have had conflict with attack you, then the other faction will often end their alliance with them and follow you! Unfortunately, this only works should you have had no conflict over the past, approximately, forty turns with the faction that you are brokering with. If that is not the case then it may be worth a try, yet it will most likely fail. Hope this helps you, cheers!
    I'd watch out for this, there's an issue where the AI roman factions can attack you with out war being declared (i.e. thay can attack you, and you will remain neutral).
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuperman
    I'd watch out for this, there's an issue where the AI roman factions can attack you with out war being declared (i.e. thay can attack you, and you will remain neutral).
    Hmm, yes, that bug is something which confuses me - peculiarly, I am yet to get it with my R:TW 1.5. I'm not too sure how my version of the game escapes this legendary bug, yet I hear of others having the problem with the same version as mine. However, the only difference is the way it way purchased - I bought Gold edition and, I think, the others experiencing the issue, bought the standard edition, non-Gold. That is all that I can think of that could be stopping the bug happening to me - they could possibly have stuck some extra fixes in with the Gold edition, although I doubt that the CA would do that and not release the patch to those without Gold.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 04-17-2007 at 07:14.

Angry Re: What if you start the civil war on your own?

I sure as hell wish the other faction could start the civil war.
    I was palying a long campaign as the Julii and whilst I was marching through Africa (to restrict the Scipii, as I had done to the Brutii in Greece) A bloody Scipii assasin murdered my 5 star 32 year old General!

Would make mid/late games alot more interesting if you could gang up on another faction, or even a 3 way civil war.

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

Quote Originally Posted by Moosemanmoo
    Would make mid/late games alot more interesting if you could gang up on another faction, or even a 3 way civil war.
    Hmm, it's very rare, yet it does happen. The senate exiles every single Roman faction in turn till they are all at war with each other. Then those bearded fiends simply watch from Rome and laugh at the chaos they have caused - that is until the other factions take Rome. The AI never thinks about that part.

I always head for Rome first so they can stop spamming me with their senseless messages. Take onagers. Silence them all...

Quote Originally Posted by mightilyoats
    I always head for Rome first so they can stop spamming me with their senseless messages. Take onagers. Silence them all...
    Onagers AND Dogs!!

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

and a couple of spies/assasins/diplomats as well

spam them with sabotage as much as they spammed you with senseless missions !

I also like spamming them with armies, just to make sure.

I would suggest bribing that large army next to Rome...

IDK, if I missed the message but when I started my civil war I simply marched my 7 armies on the scipi and said "Screw yall" and attacked.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bribing? Bah!

In a Scipii campaign I waited forever for someone else to start the war (180 BC-ish) and the Brutii came close but just couldn't get over the hump. Eventually I just started taking armies over from my eastern campaigns, sailed them over, and amphibiously invaded Thrace (from Byzantium), Greece (from Corinth), Spain (Corduba), Gaul (Massilia), and Italy (Croton).

The next 30 years were grind-it-out slugfests with endless AI armies and only a few cities to show for it before I really started going on the offensive. Much more fun than pitiful bribing.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Cool Re: What if you start the civil war on your own?

me too, i just storm them , one campagne i was just fighting it out in italy it was brilliant.i havent bribed an army yet ever!!
    " its funny when you think that if no war had existed there could be no peace ,without war, peace has no oppsite,but in the end it means nothing but what is a idea but words that blossoms in the minds of fickle or brilliant men that give them purpose and to them a meaning ." William Anderson 1781