Thread: Bribed generals in cities

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Bribed generals in cities

I'm currently playing EB v8.1a3 aka the fulliest updatest EB around... and I noticed that when you bribe a general in city (only tried rebels though) he becomes a client ruler and immobile, now I know that is a trait and no bug, but what seems to happen is that almost all (2x it didnt happen) they die the next turn. As soon as the turn has passed after you bribed them, you get a message saying they died a heroic death... I don't know why but somehow it happens all the time... Maybe this has already been reported but im not sure.

Also one other question, when do the polybian reforms take place, and what must you do. I got a message once saying reforms took place, and it said some new units replaced the old, i think that was around 240 bc. but when i looked, there were no changes.

We do not sow.

Default Re: Bribed generals in cities

About the reforms it's in the FAQ thread and you have too upgrade your barracks and Mic's first to get them about the bribed general i heard it before but i have no good answer for that

Someone else, not so long ago reported that while playing as Romanii he bribed the Tyrant of Syracuse Hierrum or what the heck his name was. Sadly he sad that he died the next turn. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger
    Also one other question, when do the polybian reforms take place, and what must you do. I got a message once saying reforms took place, and it said some new units replaced the old, i think that was around 240 bc. but when i looked, there were no changes.
    Like it was said, upgrade your MICs and you can build new troops. You can now also recruit your faction's troops in all home level governments.

yeah did that, i couldnt build anything more... 24000+ inhabitants, final townupgrade, only building not built was the estate and the large estate... and still i didnt get any.

We do not sow.

yeah did that, i couldnt build anything more... 24000+ inhabitants, final townupgrade, only building not built was the estate and the large estate... and still i didnt get any.
    Did you upgrade prior to the reforms?

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Generals dying seems to be a RTW thing. It seems CA added something to v1.5 to keep the player from cheating at bribing the AI's good generals. It isn't done by EB or for EB.

Reforms: Get requirements. Get Reform marker in towns. Upgrade MIC one level (top level camilian will upgrade to top level polybian). You should have new troops.

If you got a reform message, it was probably the vanilla 'Marian Reform' message and doesnt' reform Roman units in EB. It will give Greeks new units and Rome a few new boats. The EB Roman Reforms do not give messages.

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    If you got a reform message, it was probably the vanilla 'Marian Reform' message and doesnt' reform Roman units in EB. It will give Greeks new units and Rome a few new boats. The EB Roman Reforms do not give messages.
    Just out of curiosity....why is that? I know the vanilla message is hardcoded (at least that's what I remember reading somewhere), but why can't you do the same thing you do for things like the olympics and a year in history?

I'm no traiter, or modder for that matter, but it seems like you should be able to give the various faction leaders a one-turn trait which just lets the player know the various reforms have taken place. Don't tell me there is a limit on traits also. If that's the case,
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsiuv
    Just out of curiosity....why is that? I know the vanilla message is hardcoded (at least that's what I remember reading somewhere), but why can't you do the same thing you do for things like the olympics and a year in history?

I'm no traiter, or modder for that matter, but it seems like you should be able to give the various faction leaders a one-turn trait which just lets the player know the various reforms have taken place. Don't tell me there is a limit on traits also. If that's the case,
    The script cannot give characters traits, unless we know the name of the character, which is obviously impossible beyond a few years into the game. The only way round this is to spawn a diplomat and give him an ancillary. Then we use the trait trigger that checks for a global ancillary, which can then give a trait to the faction leader. Long winded and not high priority.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

I understand now. I was only curious anyways.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

as a quick note the way to tell when the reforms have taken place ingame ive noticed is to look at the town tab when youve selected a settlement. There should be a marker saying polybian era u can right click on or w/e. and i think most of the the time the barracks are actually replaced anyway but yeah it may be you have to upgrade.
    If you want to see the requirements for reforms check:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80502
    hope that helps!

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Generals dying seems to be a RTW thing. It seems CA added something to v1.5 to keep the player from cheating at bribing the AI's good generals. It isn't done by EB or for EB.
    I did that too, some time ago (the bribing, I mean). Strangely, one of them survived, as there was already a "gov. 4" building in the city.
    And, oh yeah! I did this in a game where I cheated massively (via add_money). It was the one game when I was curious about unit recruitment in my conquered provinces and not having the patience to wait getting enough money ... lol.
    Though it was an interesting experience.
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

Could you not just look for "faction leader" trait and then Give the reform trait to him?

Unfortunately there are precious few possibilities for information gathering and variable juggling in the RTW script. Selecting characters with a given trait is not among them.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

with the so many names EB give to generals its impossible to use the give_trait cheat.

We do not sow.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

was it called "A March of Time", or something like that? well, thats mainly for greek units, IIRC. nothing with the romans. sorry. i had the exact same question over at the TWC.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofa
    Could you not just look for "faction leader" trait and then Give the reform trait to him?
    in fact u can! i was fooling around with my romani campaign, and if u type in the give_trait cheat, and do it correctly, then for the trait type in "Augustus", he with get the trait that he wants to seize power. of course, if u want to reverse it, u just do the same thing, but type in "AugustusControl" as the trait (the C may be lowercase- i cant remember). hope that helped!
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 08-08-2007 at 16:46.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore