Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Fortinbras...gives this warlike volley

Default Young Fortinbras...gives this warlike volley

What are our favorite Shakeperean plays? Of course, I'm more interested in the histories, tragedies and historic-tragic. If you answer Romeo & Juliet, fine, but I'll be inclined to slap you

For all-time favorite, I'm torn between Henry V and Hamlet.

For favorite interpretation, I'm overwhelmingly inclined to pick Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (1996).

Default Re: Young Fortinbras...gives this warlike volley

Henry V is too bawdy for me.
    I prefer Macbeth. Oh the horror!

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

I like Titus Andronicus. full of blood, gore, violence, and murder. just like modern television!
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

does anyone know wher you might get audio versions of shakespeare plays for free on the internet?

The Merchant of Venice, the film made of it was also brilliant.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

At the risk of being slapped I would say Romeo and Juliet

I studied it for O level and really got into the play at that time. It has a great story and is most certainly not some form of 16th century chick flick. It has a superb set of characters including my all time favourite Mercutio who gives my favorite speech - the Queen Mab speech

"O, then, I see Queen Mab hath been with you.
    She is the fairies’ midwife, and she comes
    In shape no bigger than an agate-stone
    On the fore-finger of an alderman,
    Drawn with a team of little atomies
    Athwart men’s noses as they lie asleep;"

This sweeping speech starts with a beautiful discription of this fairy figure, but as the speech continues, the mood becomes darker as the evil side of Queen Mab emerges. By the end the romantic illusion is shattered as she is described as:

"Sometime she driveth o’er a soldier’s neck,
    And then dreams he of cutting foreign throats,
    Of breaches, ambuscadoes, Spanish blades,
    Of healths five-fathom deep; and then anon
    Drums in his ear, at which he starts and wakes,
    And being thus frighted swears a prayer or two
    And sleeps again. This is that very Mab
    That plaits the manes of horses in the night,
    And bakes the elflocks in foul sluttish hairs,
    Which once untangled, much misfortune bodes:
    This is the hag, when maids lie on their backs,
    That presses them and learns them first to bear,
    Making them women of good carriage:
    This is she—"

The play has all aspects of life - comedy, tradegy, life, love, death - plenty of death with many characters being killed during the course of the play.

As for a good version - there are many - I quite liked Franco Zeffirelli's version, even if it did leave a few bits out. My favourite is Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet which captures the passion of the whole play excellently.

So, why not put preconceptions aside and give it a look - I'm sure you will enjoy it - but then I love most of the Bard's work, probably loving Macbeth and Hamlet nearly as much as Romeo and Juliet.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt
    At the risk of being slapped I would say Romeo and Juliet

I studied it for O level and really got into the play at that time. It has a great story and is most certainly not some form of 16th century chick flick. It has a superb set of characters including my all time favourite Mercutio who gives my favorite speech - the Queen Mab speech

"O, then, I see Queen Mab hath been with you.
    She is the fairies’ midwife, and she comes
    In shape no bigger than an agate-stone
    On the fore-finger of an alderman,
    Drawn with a team of little atomies
    Athwart men’s noses as they lie asleep;"

This sweeping speech starts with a beautiful discription of this fairy figure, but as the speech continues, the mood becomes darker as the evil side of Queen Mab emerges. By the end the romantic illusion is shattered as she is described as:

"Sometime she driveth o’er a soldier’s neck,
    And then dreams he of cutting foreign throats,
    Of breaches, ambuscadoes, Spanish blades,
    Of healths five-fathom deep; and then anon
    Drums in his ear, at which he starts and wakes,
    And being thus frighted swears a prayer or two
    And sleeps again. This is that very Mab
    That plaits the manes of horses in the night,
    And bakes the elflocks in foul sluttish hairs,
    Which once untangled, much misfortune bodes:
    This is the hag, when maids lie on their backs,
    That presses them and learns them first to bear,
    Making them women of good carriage:
    This is she—"

The play has all aspects of life - comedy, tradegy, life, love, death - plenty of death with many characters being killed during the course of the play.

As for a good version - there are many - I quite liked Franco Zeffirelli's version, even if it did leave a few bits out. My favourite is Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet which captures the passion of the whole play excellently.

So, why not put preconceptions aside and give it a look - I'm sure you will enjoy it - but then I love most of the Bard's work, probably loving Macbeth and Hamlet nearly as much as Romeo and Juliet.

I hated reading about that play *grabs a knife and kills meself*

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I've only read Hamlet, so that makes for an easy choice.

I did watch a movie based on Titus Adronicus though. It was good, but very...odd.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I liked the movie Titus Andronicus. Very tragic but the just and loyal repay the foul deeds in the end.

As far as actual plays I enjoyed Hamlet.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Henry VI and Macbeth are certainly my favourites, although the former's probably in there only because I saw a fantastic production of it at Stratford last Autumn (I think, time memory isn't good).

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

I haven't seen much of Shakespeare's plays, so this is a very narrow comment.

From what I've read I prefer Hamlet as a tragedy. I've seen a part of a performance of MacBeth and it could interest me -I was still young at the time though.
    Blame "Shakespeare in Love", but I've read some parts of Romeo & Julia and I enjoyed them. It comes very close to Hamlet, though I don't know which I'd prefer.
    The movie Hamlet (with Kate Winslet as Ophelia) is the version I like best.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Henry V
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

shakespear is just plainly brilliant. i like merchant of venice a lot :P. one pound of flesh but not one pound of blood.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 08-18-2007 at 00:10.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger
    shakespear is just plainly brilliant. i like merchant of venice a lot :P. one pound of flesh but not one pound of blood.
    Amen.

And don't worry, King Kurt, I won't slap you; everyone has their own likes!...although I still don't like Romeo and Jules very much! I think it just reminds me of high school or something, I dunno.
    Last edited by King Jan III Sobieski; 08-27-2007 at 16:52.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

I don't have any. 'Cause I'm a savage like that.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Well technically its not shakespeare but it is based off two of his best characters

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkarinen
    Well technically its not shakespeare but it is based off two of his best characters

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead.
    ???

Speaking of Hamlet, I love Kenneth Branagh's version. Does anyone else have any feelings about his literary license of taking it from the 12th century to the 19th century? I personally have no qualms about it since I think it was so well produced; just wondering if anyone else had feelings on this?

12th? I though hamlet was set in the 4th-5th century? Meh. I don't mind people playing with Shakespeare's work. It's ultimately about the stories, rather than facts. They all seem to translate pretty well.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Speaking of Brannagh, I have a liking to his "Much Ado about Nothing"...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan de Castelreng
    Speaking of Brannagh, I have a liking to his "Much Ado about Nothing"...
    It's been a while since I saw that; that's pretty good too!

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by King Jan III Sobieski
    Speaking of Hamlet, I love Kenneth Branagh's version. Does anyone else have any feelings about his literary license of taking it from the 12th century to the 19th century? I personally have no qualms about it since I think it was so well produced; just wondering if anyone else had feelings on this?

I don't mind at all. But then, I'm an unabashed fan of all of Branagh's Shakespeare film adaptations -- he has a knack for bringing the Bard's works to life like no one else. Much Ado About Nothing is my personal favorite, but I also have Hamlet (which is a close second for me), Othello, and Henry V.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    I hated reading about that play *grabs a knife and kills meself*
    Now now, young man, you are clearly under the influence of that gory playwright. Why don't you turn to something wholesome and educational and play a video game instead, hm?

Oh, and it's Da Moichant a Veniss for me.

On a side-note, the Synthetic Worlds Initiative (a think tank started by games author Edward Castronova) is developing an online world called Arden based on the life and times (and more specifically the works) of said William. Have a looksee.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 09-07-2007 at 10:51.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    I've only read Hamlet, so that makes for an easy choice.

I did watch a movie based on Titus Adronicus though. It was good, but very...odd.
    That movie is brilliant. Very original.

I'll have to plump for Merchant of Venice. Also saw the version with Al Pacino as Shylock recently; I disliked the film by and large (in particular some of the casting), but Pacino did justice to the part.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    Now now, young man, you are clearly under the influence of that gory playwright. Why don't you turn to something wholesome and educational and play a video game instead, hm?

Oh, and it's Da Moichant a Veniss for me.

On a side-note, the Synthetic Worlds Initiative (a think tank started by games author Edward Castronova) is developing an online world called Arden based on the life and times (and more specifically the works) of said William. Have a looksee.
    I just Didn't like Romeo and Juliet. Stupid Play lol.

I prefer Henry V or Hamlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I don't mind at all. But then, I'm an unabashed fan of all of Branagh's Shakespeare film adaptations -- he has a knack for bringing the Bard's works to life like no one else. Much Ado About Nothing is my personal favorite, but I also have Hamlet (which is a close second for me), Othello, and Henry V.
    I agree; I also like Henry V and I had seen Much Ado About Nothing in bits and pieces on TV in the past, but I finally bought it and began watching it yesterday; it's good, too. Branagh's a great actor - and his skill seems magnified when he enacts Shakespeare.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Henry V

Far and away my favorite. All sorts of wonderful insights into the human condition in that play. I can't imagine how many times I've read it. Finally got my hands on the DVD movie from Amazon just last winter. Great play. Never get tired of it.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

It says enough about Shakespeare that so many people have different favourite plays. There really is something for everyone, which makes him truly timeless.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    It says enough about Shakespeare that so many people have different favourite plays. There really is something for everyone, which makes him truly timeless.
    Egg-zactly. I just watched Much Ado and I thought it was great; I guess I have to get out the old Shakespeare compilation and read it...

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Othello's definitely my favorite (and at the risk of sounding repetitive, I really like the Branagh version). I mostly love the play for the character of Iago, who I consider the ultimate Shakespeare villain. His ability to manipulate others is peerless, and he has virtually everyone in the story trusting him and only him by the end. I respect his wicked competence tremendously. The casting of a dark-skinned man in the role of the tragic hero and a white guy as the villain as far back as the 17th century is also very interesting to me.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish
    Othello's definitely my favorite (and at the risk of sounding repetitive, I really like the Branagh version). I mostly love the play for the character of Iago, who I consider the ultimate Shakespeare villain. His ability to manipulate others is peerless, and he has virtually everyone in the story trusting him and only him by the end. I respect his wicked competence tremendously. The casting of a dark-skinned man in the role of the tragic hero and a white guy as the villain as far back as the 17th century is also very interesting to me.

Ajax

Seeing Branagh play the villain, as opposed to the hero (or tragic hero, as 'twas in Hamlet) was great. I haven't seen Othello in a few years.

off topic: Just today I was doing some research on royal genealogy and came across Duncan I. and Macbeth...makes me want to read/watch Macbeth now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast