Thread: MSDOS batch file not opening

in the good ol' US of A. my brothr is in the Airforce, and i am proud of what he does for his country.

Default MSDOS batch file not opening

when i try to run the mymod.bat file i get an error saying:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

there is no entry in my Folder Options for a .bat file. i created one and associated it to cmd.exe and then command.exe. neither works. they just pull up a command window, but won't run the game. what am i missing?
    "Signatures tell the forum who you are. If you make jokes, you are a clown. If you leave serious quotes, you take things seriously. If you challenge the owner of the forums, you are a malcontent.

The Owners are like a government. If you make jokes, they laugh. If you make serious quotes, they keep an eye on you, while probing public opinion on your remarks. If you challenge them, you are a threat." - me on the SWG forums before they censored my sig

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Default Re: MSDOS batch file not opening

Hello mor dan,

Assuming XP: http://www.totalwar.org/tosa/WinXP-Bat.zip

It's about choice.com. You could try it for Vista, I do not know whether that works.

Another thing is that the bat file does try to work, but can't find the program it should work on. This happens when either the bat file or the program is in a wrong location.

Is it about M2TW? Usually batfiles for games are made for the root of that game (or a subfolder), not the desktop. If you want it on the desktop, create a shortcut from the batfile and drag that to the desktop (select the bat in its working location, right mouse, create shortcut).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

in the good ol' US of A. my brothr is in the Airforce, and i am proud of what he does for his country.

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Hello mor dan,

Assuming XP: http://www.totalwar.org/tosa/WinXP-Bat.zip

It's about choice.com. You could try it for Vista, I do not know whether that works.

Another thing is that the bat file does try to work, but can't find the program it should work on. This happens when either the bat file or the program is in a wrong location.

Is it about M2TW? Usually batfiles for games are made for the root of that game (or a subfolder), not the desktop. If you want it on the desktop, create a shortcut from the batfile and drag that to the desktop (select the bat in its working location, right mouse, create shortcut).

i followed the tutorial and copy and pasted from the modding tutorial in the M2TW section, so if everything should work. not to mention, before 1.2 i was actually using the mymod folder instead of the 'io file first' line. all of the files are in the parent folder with medieval2.exe. for whatever reason, though, when i double clicked the .BAT file it said there was no program associated with that extension. when i added the cmd.exe to the association, it opens a command window but doesn't execute anything. i can then type in the command line: medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

and it will work. but my concern is still that somehow the MSDOS batch program was disconnected from the .bat extension.
    "Signatures tell the forum who you are. If you make jokes, you are a clown. If you leave serious quotes, you take things seriously. If you challenge the owner of the forums, you are a malcontent.

The Owners are like a government. If you make jokes, they laugh. If you make serious quotes, they keep an eye on you, while probing public opinion on your remarks. If you challenge them, you are a threat." - me on the SWG forums before they censored my sig

ok, i added the choice file where the read me said to, but it still doesn't launch the program when launch the .bat file. i have to type it into the command line.

hmm...

When you hover your mouse over the bat file, what does its association show up as (ie it should read 'Type: Windows Batch File')
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

no, it says MS-DOS batch file

Quote Originally Posted by mor dan
    no, it says MS-DOS batch file
    That's what it should say, so providing the icon is a "window" icon as with executables, then it should work. If not then it may be a line within the batch file that is causing the problem and not the file itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel
    That's what it should say, so providing the icon is a "window" icon as with executables, then it should work. If not then it may be a line within the batch file that is causing the problem and not the file itself.

the line quoted from the modding forums is:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

that is exactly what i have in my .bat file. all it does is open a command screen. then i can type the command you see, and it starts the game.

Back to the basic steps to check, then:

You do actually have a 'mymod.cfg' file with the header
    Code:
    [features]
    mod = mymod
    where 'mymod' is the name of your mod folder?

...and the batch file is in your root M2TW directory (ie the same place as the medieval2.exe file)?
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

no, because i am not using a mod folder. i am using the io.file_first command, per this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=76289

this doesn't list that as necessary for using the file_first command.

If you're using the io.file_first command, you should not be running 'medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg' but rather 'medieval2.exe --io.file.first'

in a batch file or as part of the actual executable?

In the batch file.

yes, my bat file contains:

medieval2.exe --io.file.first

To double check (as this is really puzzling me now), can you answer 'yes' to the following:
    [list][*]medieval2.exe --io.file_first

iirc it needs to be 'medieval2.exe --io.file_first' not 'medieval2.exe --io.file.first'

Try again with that code, exactly

it is now medieval2.exe --io.file_first
    it still does not run the command. it just opens the command prompt.

Hmm

Back to the list, then:
    • The text in the file reads exactly 'medieval2.exe --io.file_first' (without the 's)?
    • The batch file is in the same folder as the medieval2.exe file?
    • You are running either the 1.1 or 1.2 patch?

Back to the list, then:
    • The text in the file reads exactly 'medieval2.exe --io.file_first' (without the 's)? yes
    • The batch file is in the same folder as the medieval2.exe file? yes
    • You are running either the 1.1 or 1.2 patch? 1.2

*edit*

ps- isn't this like the greatest mystery ever!?

Okay, one more question:

• Have you made your monthly offering to the gods?

Nah, I'm stumped

When was the last time you installed Windows?
    My feelings say that after a certain time and enough crapware, demos etc, Windows can get messed up and weird things happen. I don't have any proof for this, but my XP for example hangs around at the blue starting screen for a while until it has loaded the network driver, which for some reason takes up to a minute or so. It's partly the fault of the driver since it takes some time in Vista as well, but before it would load the thing while showing the desktop, not the blue welcome screen. You see, it just changed itself, for no apparent reason, it doesn't bother me really, maybe I even caught a rootkit or other stuff, it's just weird.

So erm, reinstalling Windows could make it work or not, may not be worth the hassle but if noone knows better...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

this has been suggested once in a different thread on a similar topic. i'm not real experienced with "re-installing" an OS. my fear is losing many things i have no idea how to get back, or not realizing they are gone until i go looking for them. so here is my question...

is re-installing going to wipe out my C:\ drive, basically like reformatting it? or is it just going to repair the install and make sure all the files that are supposed to be there are present and accounted for?

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    Okay, one more question:

• Have you made your monthly offering to the gods?

Nah, I'm stumped

apparently it was not a worthy offering... the Bill Gates have denied my entry...

Reinstalling properly involves formatting and that wipes your whole C: drive. So if you want to keep your data, don't do it.

Can't really help you on the issue then, I'm afraid.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

this has been suggested once in a different thread on a similar topic. i'm not real experienced with "re-installing" an OS. my fear is losing many things i have no idea how to get back, or not realizing they are gone until i go looking for them. so here is my question...

is re-installing going to wipe out my C:\ drive, basically like reformatting it? or is it just going to repair the install and make sure all the files that are supposed to be there are present and accounted for?
    Unless you've specifically parititioned your drive to avoid it then yes, reinstalling will wipe all your data.

Don't consider it unless you have no other choice, then.

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    Unless you've specifically parititioned your drive to avoid it then yes, reinstalling will wipe all your data.

Don't consider it unless you have no other choice, then.

this intrigues me... could you pm me or something on how i would go about this for future reference? or direct me to a web page that describes how it is done?

this intrigues me... could you pm me or something on how i would go about this for future reference? or direct me to a web page that describes how it is done?
    Well, it's not something that I've bothered with overmuch, but it's possible to set up your HDD so that you have a minimum of space dedicated to your windows boot drive, allowing you to keep your apps on another partition and consequentially just wipe the primary partition when you reinstall.

However, as many common applications require that they be registered with the registry, it's not of huge benefit in some cases. Keeping your games on a separate drive can be worth it, though.

I'll see if I can dig up a tutorial later tonight