Thread: Some questions about pontos

Default Some questions about pontos

1.what provinces can I recruit my faction's troops in?

2.where can I get steppe riders and scythian noble cavalry? Any other regional troops in the area I should know about? *preferably ones in seleucid territory since I seem to be at eternal war with them*

3.why do my galatian heavy speamen carry swords and why do they cost twice as much as hoplites with only slightly better stats and less men?

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Default Re: Some questions about pontos

I must admit that, very rarely, I've noticed that unit prices seem set up a little strange. At least for the KH, some units which are higher up in the tech tree and cost more seem to have either lower stats, or not higher enough to make it worth it....Can't think of the exact units right now, and EB is on my other computer. Although I'm surely not the only one who has noticed this.

BTW, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just could relate to part of your last question. You'll have to wait for a Pontos expert for help with the other questions.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

It's the Thureophoroi, Hoplitai, Ekdromoi, Thorakitai issue isn't it?

Those units are all relatively close to each other if you look at the raw stats only.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    It's the Thureophoroi, Hoplitai, Ekdromoi, Thorakitai issue isn't it?

Those units are all relatively close to each other if you look at the raw stats only.

Yes, but I seem to recall that a cheaper one was better than a more expensive one, including things like moral and such. I'm not 100 percent on that though, so forgive me if I'm mistaken.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Post Re: Some questions about pontos

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinLobster
    1.what provinces can I recruit my faction's troops in?

2.where can I get steppe riders and scythian noble cavalry? Any other regional troops in the area I should know about? *preferably ones in seleucid territory since I seem to be at eternal war with them*

3.why do my galatian heavy speamen carry swords and why do they cost twice as much as hoplites with only slightly better stats and less men?
    Greetings,

ad 1:
    well, first let me say that Pontos' got not that many faction troops - at least thoses one can call "high-end". You have the "Cappadocian Medium Cavalry", the "Pontic Elite Phalanx", the "Galatian Heavy Spearmen", the "Galatian Heavy Cavalry" & the Chariot unit. All of those, you can recruit in your starting province ("Amaseia"), and some of them in your other "Homeland" provinces.
    But beware, in "Trapezount", "Sinope", "Nikaia" and the eastern/southern shore provinces of Asia minor (& "Ipsos"), you get practically none of them (built regional MICs there & recruit Greek / Hellenic troops).
    In Galatia ("Ankyra"), build just regional MICs and at level 5 you get the "Wild Men" (Tindanotae, spelling correct ?), expensive, but VERY useful. Therefor, build the "Pontic Allied State" government in that province.

As a rough rule: in greek territories, built regional MICs, in 'eastern' ones', built factional MICs. What to built in the (modern-day time) Balkans, I cannot tell ... yet. ;-)

ad 2:
    both of them in "Chersonesos" & "Pantikapaion" (must have regional MIC 4 to built the Nobles). Of thoses I'm sure, but the neighbouring provinces should have them too.
    You get Horse Archers in "Ani-Kmah" ("Steppe Riders") and "Kotais" ("Skythian Horse Archers"), as well as in Armenian territory.

ad 3:
    I don't know. I use mainly the "Hellenic Native Phalanxes" and after I can afford them, the "Pontic Elite Phalanxes" (2 per army) as backbone. Much later, I recruit Tindanotaes (2 per army) as reserve / shock / assault infantry.
    Actually, I'm less used to employ cavalry ... though from time to time I have a light or medium unit with this or that army.

Yours,
    Treverer

being a big fan of Pontos & wishing for X-mas the missing Pontic units ...
    Last edited by Treverer; 08-08-2007 at 10:40.
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Speaking of missing Pontic units, I wished that there would be Sinopic nobles or chariot archers in the next release.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Chariot archers aren't right for this timeframe.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Question Re: Some questions about pontos

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Chariot archers aren't right for this timeframe.
    Sorry to be (too) curious, but what about some kinda "Kataphracts"? Did Pontos have them?

EDIT: question's a bit irrelevant though. Kataphracts can probably be recruited in the approprate provinces via the regional MICs. (ashes on my head)
    Last edited by Treverer; 08-08-2007 at 12:56.
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    Sorry to be (too) curious, but what about some kinda "Kataphracts"? Did Pontos have them?

EDIT: question's a bit irrelevant though. Kataphracts can probably be recruited in the approprate provinces via the regional MICs. (ashes on my head)
    Sorry. Pontos does not get Catas in the Parthian style. They will however get a heavy cavalry unit that will be most useful in the next build. It's quite powerful and with a wider recruitment zone than the Galatian Lavotuxri. Apart from that a few more interesting reagionals are coming for Pontos.

Treverer is right about the recruitment zones. Except for Trapezous. Pontic Homeland territory is most of Northern Asia Minor (modern Turkey) That's the settlements of Amaseia (your capital), Sinope, Trapezous, Ani-Kamah, Mazaka and Nikaia.

In the first five it's advisable to build factional MICs. The highest level will allow the recruitment of the Chalkaspidai (Pontic Elite Phalanx). In Ani-Kamah building a level 4 Reagional MIC will allow the recruitment of HA. HA are also available in the Armenian provinces to the East. And in the steppe provinces to the North. Remember this about Sinope and Trapezous. Only once your Factional MIC reaches a level 3 minimum will you be able to recruit any useful factional troops here. The higest level will give you access to the Chalkaspidai aswell as stone and arrow projectors in the Greek style. Building up to level 3 Reagional MICs in any Greek province is advisable. I found Classic Hoplites and Peltastai to be a very useful addition to my Pontic battle line.

Nikaia is another Homelands region. It's recruitment for factionals is a bit limited but you do get a number of Dacian reagionals. Including Drapanai shock infantry (falxmen). You also get access to Thracian Peltasts. Which double as shock infantry and Thrakikoi Prodromoi. The second best Medium Cavalry in the game. Nikaia also has two precious metal resources so mining there is very profitable.

Scythian Nobles can be recruited in the Crimea provinces. And some of the others North of the Black Sea. One of the most useful reagional units nearby are the Syrian Archers. They can be recruited in most provinces surrounding Syria. Armoured in scale mail they make a tough if somewhat slow archery unit that can double as decent melee fighters. As long as you keep in mind that there primary role is that of an archer. Not a swordsman. The second most useful reagional is a merc unit in Mesopotamia. The Babylonian Heavy Spearmen are a great and versatile unit. They can take on cavalry with their spears and they double as very effiecient shock infantry cause their secondary weapon is an AP mace.

You did realise that the secondary weapon of those Galatian Heavy Spearmen is the Celtic Longsword with a whopping .225 lethality. The spear is just for use against cavalry. If you're doing melee with them against any infantry use alt-click to change their weapons pronto.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: Some questions about pontos

Quote Originally Posted by The Errant
    Thrakikoi Prodromoi. The second best Medium Cavalry in the game.
    What's the best in your opinion?

You did realise that the secondary weapon of those Galatian Heavy Spearmen is the Celtic Longsword with a whopping .225 lethality. The spear is just for use against cavalry. If you're doing melee with them against any infantry use alt-click to change their weapons pronto.
    Alt-Clicking will make them use spear-only, it's their secondary weapon. You can't do anything to force them to use swords, just hope.

Default Re: AW: Re: Some questions about pontos

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    What's the best in your opinion?

Alt-Clicking will make them use spear-only, it's their secondary weapon. You can't do anything to force them to use swords, just hope.
    1. The best Medium Cavalry in the game is the Sabaean Citizen Cavalry. They got better armour, the horses have excellent speed and stamina. Plus their secondary weapons are longswords which gives them superb lethality in melee. They are a bit more expensive than the Thrakikoi Prodromoi but they are overall somewhat better.

Code:
    ;40
    type             galatian infantry kuarothori
    dictionary       galatian_infantry_kuarothori      ; Galatikoi Kuarothoroi
    category         infantry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       General_1
    soldier          celtic_infantry_arjos_rycalawre_solduros_kuarothoroi, 30, 0, 1.25
    mount_effect     elephant -1
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest
    formation        0.7, 1, 1.8, 2.6, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 0
    stat_pri         11, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 0 ,0.225
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         12, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 0 ,0.13
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  12, 9, 3, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        5
    stat_ground      0, 0, 0, -1
    stat_mental      13, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 2013, 503, 80, 130, 2013
    ownership        carthage, romans_julii, seleucid, macedon, slave
    My bad. It seems the sword is primary and not secondary weapon. Anyway this puts the Kuarothoroi on par with Macedonian and Seleukid Hypaspistai. Basically a heavy phalangite that can fight extremely well in a melee. Just remember to use the sword against infantry and the spear against cavalry.

edit. If you can't make the sword work it's propably a glitch the team will have to fix in the next build. This is how the unit looks in my EDU. And from the looks of things they aren't half bad with that sword of theirs.
    Last edited by The Errant; 08-08-2007 at 20:28.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: AW: Re: Some questions about pontos

1. The best Medium Cavalry in the game is the Sabaean Citizen Cavalry. They got better armour, the horses have excellent speed and stamina. Plus their secondary weapons are longswords which gives them superb lethality in melee. They are a bit more expensive than the Thrakikoi Prodromoi but they are overall somewhat better.
    I didn't encounter those Sabeans yet. In my current epic campaign they are my only allies after Suebi and Romani betrayed me, so I won't face them soon.

2. My bad. It seems the sword is primary and not secondary weapon. Anyway this puts the Kuarothoroi on par with Macedonian and Seleukid Hypaspistai. Basically a heavy phalangite that can fight extremely well in a melee. Just remember to use the sword against infantry and the spear against cavalry.
    They are superb, and I use them in all of my four field armies as I limited the Hypaspistai to accompany the King, for roleplaying purpose.

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Some questions about pontos

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    I didn't encounter those Sabeans yet. In my current epic campaign they are my only allies after Suebi and Romani betrayed me, so I won't face them soon.

They are superb, and I use them in all of my four field armies as I limited the Hypaspistai to accompany the King, for roleplaying purpose.
    Saba and Pontos have one thing in common. Both reach their true potential trough reagionals.

For the Pontics it's the Galatian reagionals in Asia Minor. Though they do get access to Greek, Eastern, Dacian and Steppe reagionals aswell.

For the Sabaeans it's the Ethiopian reagionals that boost up their army. With elephants and the Ethiopian Guard, plus Galatian Kleruchoi they become a truly powerful faction.

The Sabaean Medium is great. I use them to hunt down enemy generals. The Hetairoi can match their charge but once they get bogged down in a melee they are toast. And the Citizen Cavalry has both the speed and stamina to run down those pesky greek generals.

I don't use the Kuarothoroi much. I do well enough with Pontos without them. Even so they are good. I love the Pontic faction. They are so versatile. And apart from the Casse it's the only faction that teaches you proper use of chariots. I love charging the new heavies in after the chariots have run trough an enemy unit. It's simply brutal. But fun. Lots of fun.

My bad. It seems the sword is primary and not secondary weapon. Anyway this puts the Kuarothoroi on par with Macedonian and Seleukid Hypaspistai. Basically a heavy phalangite that can fight extremely well in a melee. Just remember to use the sword against infantry and the spear against cavalry.
    I see no anti cavalry bonus in the EDU no mount_effect, spear_bonus, spear or light_spear. This unit has no bonuses against cavalry.