Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congressman Tancredo: "Bomb Mecca!"

Default Congressman Tancredo: "Bomb Mecca!"

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republican presidential hopeful Tom Tancredo says that to deter a nuclear terrorist attack on the United States he would threaten to retaliate by bombing Islamic holy sites.

The Colorado congressman says he doesn't want to attack Mecca and Medina, but believes the threat to do so -- with conventional rather than nuclear bombs -- is the only effective deterrent against Muslim radicals willing to die for their faith.

A spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations denounced Tancredo's statements as "unworthy of anyone seeking public office in the United States." Ibrahim Hooper suggested that Tancredo could be trying to win the support of "anti-Muslim bigots." The Colorado congressman proposed a similar retaliatory threat on a radio talk show in 2005.
    http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/s...?storyid=88374
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Re: Congressman Tancredo: "Bomb Mecca!"

Hi, welcome to last year!

Or was it? The date on the website says 6 days ago, but i recall someone in America saying bomb Mecca a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Nah, not a good idea. All it takes is a terrorist that is willing to sacrifice Mecca and Medina for a pretty much certain Jihad.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Now why would they care about that? They pretty much hate anything to do with the majority of Islam anyway; only people this would piss off is the everyday muslims, not jihadis.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

First of all, why do people even make such statements ?!
    How does it come up ? "Hey, let's think of some really inflamatory and possibly open to misinterpretation stuff that we could use to stir up more antagonism!"

And second:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    Republican presidential hopeful Tom Tancredo says that to deter a nuclear terrorist attack on the United States he would threaten to retaliate by bombing Islamic holy sites.
    this makes no sense!
    To deter = to prevent from occurring.
    Retaliate = reply to an attack (i.e., that already occurred).

So.... in order to prevent them from attacking, he would threaten to bomb them after they attack ?

Finally... they nuke you and you "threaten" to use conventional bombs on them ?! What kind of wimpy weakling reply is that anyway ??
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

The deterrent would be the threat of retaliation.

It worked for the Cold War.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    ...which was between two relatively well-centralized states...

I believe we all know that terrorists work differently. They're born from outrage and thrive on outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    The deterrent would be the threat of retaliation.

Not much of a deterrent to say "If you hit me first, I'll hit you back!"... it's like, "duh".
    In the case of the Cold War, the deterrent was MAD - this is not even the case here, since the retaliation would be conventional bombs (as explicitly stated in the article).
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

All this seems like is one more properganda point for Osama to throw around. However this has brought up something that has been resting in the back of my mind for a while. Can we truely ever pervent a terrriorist attack? We can try to leasen the occerence and severity but it dosn't take much for a couple guys to sneak through the boarder with bomb belts or AK 47's and then just bomb a couple of crowded streets. Infact I wonder why they havn't done that yet. Think of the terror it would cause. The only reason I can think of them not doing it is they wouldn't want to bring the full wrath of the U.S. down on every Islamic state that has vaugly supported terror, not wanting to awake the sleeping giant. Under that logic is not our best defense against this a vigouous offense against those states that support terror?

Disclaimer: I'm not talking about going after anything besides Civillian targets here or attacking every nation in the middle east.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Yes fanning the flames... that will help
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

What would this magnificent congressman say if islamic extremists threatened to bomb the Vatican, home of the Catholic church, next time some random christian offends them?
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

This should have been done a long time ago. Dismantle the scourge.

Tancredo '08

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    This should have been done a long time ago. Dismantle the scourge.

Tancredo '08
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

What a muppet
    The Colorado congressman says he doesn't want to attack Mecca and Medina, but believes the threat to do so -- with conventional rather than nuclear bombs -- is the only effective deterrent against Muslim radicals willing to die for their faith.
    ...a complete loony toon .
    Still its nice to have a functioning democracy where complete imbeciles can not only get elected , they can put themselves forward for president .

Tancredo '08
    whats up Panzer ? with your old sig for Bush '04 are you not happy that the idiot you wanted wasn't quite as stupid as you would have liked him to be .

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

Someone's read too much Nelson DeMille...

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

So if the IRA had nuked an American city, the Vatican would be nuked in return and so would Jerusalem as they are the two most holy citizens to Catholics?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Bombing century old city's is always a waste. Say what you want but it's gorgious.

Who would want to bomb that.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Bombing century old city's is always a waste. Say what you want but it's gorgious.

[Image goes here]

Who would want to bomb that.
    Well, now that you mention it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Looks like Bradford town hall.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I'd hit that.

Wait.
    Wrong thread!
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I've played too much World In Conflict to answer that question honestly.

In order to deter suicide attacks in general, we need to start massacring the extended families of suicide bombers. One of the big motivators for bombers currently is to bring monetary benefits and honor upon their families. If you could assure them that once they blew themselves up there would be no family left, they would at least stop bragging about it, that's for sure.

As far as bombing Mecca and Medina..... Papewaio is right, it makes about as much sense as bombing the Vatican.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

How much blood must be taken to prevent war?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

The short answer would be "all of it" trying to prevent war is fallacy, trying to curtail or postpone war is not. At some point in the future Britain will fight a war it cannot win and be destroyed as a result. That is a virtual certainty. The only question is when. Hopefully my family will have died out before then.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del Arroyo
    In order to deter suicide attacks in general, we need to start massacring the extended families of suicide bombers. One of the big motivators for bombers currently is to bring monetary benefits and honor upon their families. If you could assure them that once they blew themselves up there would be no family left, they would at least stop bragging about it, that's for sure.

Dude, are you serious?

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

The expression fighting fire with fire comes to my mind... Also, as has been said already; why bomb centuries old cities?
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

They created a monster. Then he wants to destroy it by creating a billion soul stronger one?

Quote Originally Posted by Moros
    They created a monster. Then he wants to destroy it by creating a billion soul stronger one?
    It works in DragonBall Z, kinda.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    It works in DragonBall Z, kinda.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec

Dude, are you serious?
    I think I am growing soft.

indeed