Thread: Romani recruitment issues

Question Romani recruitment issues

I've noticed that I am unable to recruit any factional troops in my Type-2 settlements. The description for the Type-2 government is: factional troops+some local troops but so far, I am only able to recruit the local troops. I've already upgraded everything. Can someone help me out here?

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Default Re: Romani recruitment issues

As far as I remember previous posts on this topic, you can recruit "Camillan" troops in your starting provinces plus Liguria ("Segestica", or is it "Segesta"?).
    Then the "Polybian" troops in "Taras" and "Rhegion" (south) and in "Bonnonia" & in what is today Venize. For "Mediolanum", I'm not sure, but I think you cannot get "Polybian" units.
    Of "Marian" / "Imperial" units, I cannot tell you.

BTW, better build a level 3 or 4 gouvernment in your conquered provinces and then regional MICs. You can always later 'upgrade' to level 2 gov.s.

Yours,
    Treverer
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Hmm. What are the benefits of the Type 2 governments then, since they don't allow factional recruitment.

I'm pretty sure that after the marian reforms, you can recruit the cohors reformata from any type 2 government. So they do end up helping with factional recruitment, just no earlier than 172 B.C., save for Italy. I think that they might also lower the culture penalty that a region suffers, though I'm not sure.
    Just Facit

Quote Originally Posted by iamroot
    Hmm. What are the benefits of the Type 2 governments then, since they don't allow factional recruitment.
    They improved tax money, while giving a happiness boast.

They also allow you to recruit Marian Troops after the Marian Reform.

Besides in most provinces (Crete the exception for example), you won't need to build a very high regional barracks.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Yes, you can't 'Roman' units outside of Italia until the Marian Reform. See the FAQ.

If you view it from a gameplay point of view, Type2 only give their listed bonuses and access to higher level structures for many building tiers. But if you role play, Type2 represent the Romans firmly controling the region, Romanizing it, and settling colonists.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Besides in most provinces (Crete the exception for example), you won't need to build a very high regional barracks.
    Hi
    I would like to add some cool regionals to my legions as auxiliaries to spice up my SPQR campaign and was wondering if you could, please, give some more examples, becouse it takes a lot of time to process_cq at every city I conquer, and then reload (My PC is outdated :)).
    Regards G

Quote Originally Posted by Gugus
    Hi
    I would like to add some cool regionals to my legions as auxiliaries to spice up my SPQR campaign and was wondering if you could, please, give some more examples, becouse it takes a lot of time to process_cq at every city I conquer, and then reload (My PC is outdated :)).
    Regards G
    Sure. What exactly are you looking for?

Archers, Crete is the way to go. Build a type III (or IV) government, and build the highest regional barracks it lets you. Then recruit Cretan archers from the island.

I also like some of the units you get out of Syracuse. Greek Medium calvary are quite useful, and some of the Greek Spearmen are kind of cool also.

Oh yeah. Pretty much anywhere in Iberia you get decent light spearmen who can really put up a fight. Celtic slingers are bad either out of the Gallic regions. I'm sure others can give you suggestions.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The provinces west of Carthage give you elephants! All you need is a type II government to get them.

Thanks Ice, when I go to Africa I'll try those elephants. Looking forward for other suggestions.

The town directly north of Mediolanium has some really cool spearmen, the Mori Gaesum. I don't know if they can be recruited from a regional MIC, but I think that they're at least mercs.

There are also some awesome hoplites in Massilia, Massiliotes Hoplitai. Thoroughly enjoyable and really useful against those darn Celts.
    Just Facit