Thread: Retraining issue

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

Default Retraining issue

I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced this problem, but I have noticed a CTD associated with placing units in the retraining queue. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. But it's most definitely related to retraining.

A while back, in a Sicily campaign on XL, I accessed a unit I was retraining via the military list scroll - and 'removed' the unit from the queue to the province. Only, the unit was still in the retraining queue, despite physically being outside in an army, not merely in the review tab. This caused the next unit in the queue to be renamed a very odd name, something 'King Roman Numerals #' - removing him and then putting him back caused a CTD.

More recent, I had the same issue again, only I accessed a unit via the military list scroll and proceeded to place it from the review tab into the retraining queue.

And yesterday, it simply happened when I moved a unit of Highland Warriors into the retraining queue. Just happened. Reloaded my game, had to end the previous turn again because I hadn't saved yet (I save every turn), and that time the CTD didn't happen.

It seems rather random. And it's annoying, because it could strike at any time. But it's most definitely to do with retraining. The only other CTD's I've had are when loading and saving far too much, the computer needing a reboot or the alt-tabbing from the battle choice/reinforcement selection screen.
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

Default Re: Retraining issue

I haven't had that one. The only problem I've experienced with units is after I've bought back defeated units - they're randomly unselectable. Your troops aren't ones you've repatriated are they? This is a general MTW bug, not related to any mod. Now I never buy back troops, which is a pity since I feel a responsibility to those who've fought for me (if they fought well).

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

Never repatriated the units I've retrained...just kind of afraid of a CTD when I select a unit to retrain it now...
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregori99
    I haven't had that one. The only problem I've experienced with units is after I've bought back defeated units - they're randomly unselectable. Your troops aren't ones you've repatriated are they? This is a general MTW bug, not related to any mod. Now I never buy back troops, which is a pity since I feel a responsibility to those who've fought for me (if they fought well).
    IIRC you can fix this by reloading (heard about that, haven't tried it myself) and I know that you can mess with merging them with other units to "fix" them and make them selectable again. Basically, a unit that gets any unbugged troops will get unbugged again.

Kaidonni, sadly I don't know what would cause this, the only retraining bug I'm aware of is royal hiers in the retraining queue when you have a age shift.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

This caused the next unit in the queue to be renamed a very odd name, something 'King Roman Numerals #' - removing him and then putting him back caused a CTD.
    This would have been because you were retraining the heir to the throne the year the king died. I have encountered this problem only once, and it corrupted a great campaign I was having In my case the problem was down to me "helping out" another faction, by switching factions and sorting out its training queue. Of course, I'd queued the heir, the king died, then there were two kings - one out in the field, one stuck in the training queue with a unit size of 255 - MTW can't handle units over 200, so it CTDed if I ended the year, and CTDed if I tried to cancel him from the queue. Game over, as the previous save was about fifty years earlier

There is one other bug I've come across, and this one is down to not paying attention to detail. It is sometimes possible (can't remember exactly how) to open a training parchment to one province, whilst looking at a unit in a different province. This unit will load into the parchment, but because it isn't in the "right" province, something nasty will happen. I wonder if that's what happened with your Highland Clansmen? Maybe you had the Northumbria parchment open, but were able to pick up the clansmen anyway? It is a very strange one, I admit, but it can happen.

Usually repatriated troops become selectable the next year, sometimes it takes longer, but Ironside has the answer - merge stacks. That will free up the blockage.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4