Thread: Skirmisher Attack

Default Skirmisher Attack

So far, in my time playing EB, every aspect of the mod seems to have been meticulously researched so as to add the utmost realism but I have noticed one oddity. Why would Akontistai have a 9 melee rating while a classical hoplite has only 10? I can understand the hoplite having 10 but shouldn't the akontistai, wielding only what seems to be a knife, have a considerably lower score? From every description, skirmishers and slingers are generally described as unable to commit to melee combat, which does hold true due to their lower armor ratings but their melee rating seems a bit high, unless of course I'm missing something, which I probably am. This is, of course, just out of curiosity, as even though their melee ratings seem high (for skirmishers) they still get abused in hand to hand by even my levee hoplites. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.

Default Re: Skirmisher Attack

The attack value isn't the only important stat for combat. There's also the weapon's lethality, armor piercing value, etc. These stats aren't shown in the unit profile but you can find them on the unit cards:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80557
    Just Facit

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

what about velites? the description has them using a short sword, but they seem to use knives, also they dont really seem to be better then other skirmishers, enless others have noticed different results, if so then im interested.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Well Velites weren't that great in terms of comparison they're a cheap, poor peltast.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Due to the way the stat system works (especially the lethality part of it) units with knives seem to have a massive attack value. Therefore, as soon as you see a light-end/crappy unit with a very high attack rate you know that it's less than worthless in melee.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 08-12-2007 at 00:40.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofa
    what about velites? the description has them using a short sword, but they seem to use knives, also they dont really seem to be better then other skirmishers, enless others have noticed different results, if so then im interested.
    I have mentioned it before.
    Small edit in EDU or in unit description would be nice.