Thread: best ethnicities

Default best ethnicities

which ethnicity recieves the best combination of traits and probabilty of getting the best traits for both comand and governing

Creatively Maladjusted Member Kahju's Avatar

Default Re: best ethnicities

This thread is politically incorrect.

i didnt mean for that im just wonderning in the game mechanics which is better

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

We try to make it so that the effects of each ethnicity are balanced. So, if a certain ethnicity gives you a higher chance of getting Brave, it will also enhance the chance of getting Berserk or something like that. In the end, how good an ethnicity is depends on how lucky you get when the chance of acquiring the different traits are rolled.

I always wondered: what are the good sides of the puno-nuragic ethnicity for carthage?
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

This is a little off-topic, but I do want to point out here that the ethnicity of a general does not matter much in the campaign. A good general is not indicated by his skin (RACISM!!), but by his valor or education.

I played a Pahlava campaign through the end. I had a general of Saka descent who suffers a -3 influence penalty among other things. I assigned him to govern Patala and Opiana at the very edge of the empire. I figured that he would just be a temporary governor while I sent my Zand generals to replace him later when the cities get bigger, but it turns out after 10 years or so he became a terrific governor of those cities.

Now Patala and Opiana is ruled generations of Sakae generals with great managing skills. Despite their influence penalty, the cities almost never revolt. And also they are churning out at least 2k minai per turn, even when I had already shifted my capital to Seluceia.

It was all thanks to me building schools in those two cities, which enables the Sakae generals to learn a lot of valuable traits and gain retinues to keep the cities in check.

For combat I've found Spartans do the job well .

And lol at making this political mon ami .

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Παιδί του ήλιου Member Anastasios Helios's Avatar

I think that to a upgradded city with a decent school...ethnicity doesn't matter much when it comes to governing it well. I once had an Athenian governor of Sparte and he managed to keep the city in well order. Though by then, Sparte had obtained the status of a huge city.

...perhaps it makes more of a difference early game.
    Zήτω η Ελλάς! Ζήτω το "Κοινόν Ελλήνων"!

Quote Originally Posted by Kahju
    This thread is politically incorrect.
    And WHAT is "Politically Correct" while total war is being waged by one faction against another?
    Just asking. Hawooh!
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." ~Salvor Hardin

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_Ghost
    . A good general is not indicated by his skin (RACISM!!), but by his valor or education.
    IMO, EB ethnicity trait is not so much about genes, but about education, background, family values and traditions.
    KH a fine example - Korinthoi and Spatiatai were dorians and had same genes. However, korinthian boy from a good merchant family and small spartiat berserk won't have anything common to talk about.

and there is nothing racist in the "influence penalty". Makedon colonists of Memphis are expected to go mad if you would try to form a government from native egyptians only.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMe
    and there is nothing racist in the "influence penalty". Makedon colonists of Memphis are expected to go mad if you would try to form a government from native egyptians only.
    Actually, that is pretty racistic, but it is historically (rather than politically) correct in-game racism, which the EB team can and have portrayed without any real-life bias, as far as I can see.

Any ethnicity is fine, except Korinthios. Those guys are terrible.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

You'all know you're starting to sound like a bunch of 'college-kids.'

And...

I use that term only as the most crass pejorative.
    If indeed you are a bunch of 'college-kids,' never mine, as you will not understand.
    Last edited by cmacq; 12-27-2007 at 13:45.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Most of my guys seem end up as perverted old men no matter what ethniticity they are. All other results are just aberation. T_T
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

As Bozos said, the traits are pretty balanced. I love the EB trait system and the varieties of cultures and ethnicities. It's fun to see how characters develop.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

What do you expect from a Korinthian 'businessman'?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Some ethnicities are better suited for administration and some better for combat. In the end, as no ethnicity automatically results in trait like "stupid grunt", the variety of ethnicities gives EB a remarkable level om replayability.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq
    You'all know you're starting to sound like a bunch of 'college-kids.'