Thread: Garrison retreats out of the castle after a failed relief

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

Default Garrison retreats out of the castle after a failed relief

One of my castles was besieged by the Mongols, and I sent one of my armies to lift the siege. I used garrison troops as reinforcement (not AI controlled). Unfortunately I lost the battle. To my surprise, I found that the remaining of garrison troops didn't retreat back to the castle, but stayed outside of it.

So the Mongols are now besieging an empty castle

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The army left of the castle was a relieving force, the garrison is on the right side

Why did my garrison left the castle? I know that when AI tries to lift the siege, all of their remaining forces retreats to a settlement after loosing the battle...

Default AW: Garrison retreats out of the castle after a failed relief

My guess is that the small stack next to the castle consists only of the remnants of the relief force, while the garrison was wiped out completely, even those who escaped from the bettlefield. IIRC the garrison force usually is given a "deathhead" sign in this type of battle, which means they are wiped out if they don´t win.

Senior Member Senior Member Carl's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Garrison retreats out of the castle after a failed relief

Then why hasn't the enemy force occupied the place?

A really funny mmoment I bet though.
    Find my ProblemFixer Purehere.

This ProblemFixer fixes the following: 2-Hander bug, Pike Bug, Shield Bug, Chasing Routers, Cav not Charging, Formation Keeping Improved, Trait Bugs, and Ancillary Bugs.

BETA Testers needed for the current version of RebuildProblemFixer. Thread here

Then why hasn't the enemy force occupied the place?
    In such situations, the occupation should take place at the end of the turn, when the siege status is re-checked. The player doesn't see this when the AI tries to reinforce as the 'end of the turn' to him is immediately after the battle, afaik.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haudegen
    My guess is that the small stack next to the castle consists only of the remnants of the relief force, while the garrison was wiped out completely, even those who escaped from the bettlefield. IIRC the garrison force usually is given a "deathhead" sign in this type of battle, which means they are wiped out if they don´t win.
    Maybe you're right. I fought this battle at 4 am, so my memory might be playing tricks with me And maybe that's why I lost the battle in the first place...
    Unfortunately I don't have a savefile and cannot check.

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    In such situations, the occupation should take place at the end of the turn, when the siege status is re-checked. The player doesn't see this when the AI tries to reinforce as the 'end of the turn' to him is immediately after the battle, afaik.
    That's correct. They occupied the place after the End of turn.

Senior Member Senior Member Carl's Avatar

Cheers, I've never had that happen before on a sally myslef.
    Find my ProblemFixer Purehere.

This ProblemFixer fixes the following: 2-Hander bug, Pike Bug, Shield Bug, Chasing Routers, Cav not Charging, Formation Keeping Improved, Trait Bugs, and Ancillary Bugs.

BETA Testers needed for the current version of RebuildProblemFixer. Thread here