Thread: Need help re my MOD

Shell Beach, CA. USA. Sixty miles south of Big Sur. Paradise - when tourists are absent.

Default Need help re my MOD

I am working on a mod involving siege equipment for M2/StainlessSteel3.2. I have re-done some of the files such as: export_descr_unit.txt, descr_mercenaries.txt, and export_units.txt.

Sorry I don't know the terms for this stuf but:there a two "cards". One has info about the unit type and appears when you right click a unit on the battlefield. I call it the info card. The other two appear when you view your army on the field. I call them icon cards. One appears in the mercenary recuitment list, the other on the filed army display.

Saddly, I can't seem to get all of these working together to display the same info/icons. While my new Mercenary_Catapult, and Mercenary_Ballista seem to work fine in all regions, the Mercenary_Trebuchet does not.
    There are some units who seem to use unit info and units files in the StainlessSteel/data/ ui data folders and some which don't. Using an old unit called NE_Trebuchet as my merc source seems to work in the north southe and basic Eurpean regions, I created the Mercenary_Catapult, and Mercenary_Ballista units to work ing the rest. I need to know how to do this more uniformally.

Although I could explain in great detail all of the other things I have done and am doing to get this to do what I want: namely provide siege equipment on the siege site through the mercenary recuirtment function, experience shows that readers and helpers can only deal with so much detail. Ultimately I would like to set up a script which allows only those generals who have Mil or Siege Engineers in their entourages to peform the on site buiding function. But for now I have simply delayed availability thru use of start times.

So if anyone can tell me why I can't get my new merc siege equipment on to the map using new units I have set up in the files mentioned above, I could get on with it.
    Folks often ask me if we Americans are really that stupid.
    Why yes. Yes we are.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: Need help re my MOD

Welcome to the Org, dual939.

I'm not a modding expert myself, but you can probably find the answers you're looking for here. Good luck!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Shell Beach, CA. USA. Sixty miles south of Big Sur. Paradise - when tourists are absent.

I seem to be even more confused...But are these links not the links to the general "help" and discussion web pages within twcenter? If you intended something specific, I am not able to see it, or figure it out.

If they are the links to the 'help' pages, I am left with the impression I always come away with from the twcenter: either dig through all of the stuff, study and know all of it... or forget trying to do anything of use in modding.

I guess 'luck' is what I need then because I have gotten not one specific answer from anyone on any question I have ever asked, over the years and various avatars I have used here.

I don't know if it the fact that I started this mod project so much later than everyone else at this site, or that I am just unclear on what 'help' means. As the game engine is some 4-5 years old now most folks doing mods here are long past my elementary learning curve...and there seems to be little tolerance or facility for handling nubees and there issues in any efficient way.

In either case, I am done asking here. It is wasting eveone's time here, and it is no help to me either.

But thanks for your time.
    Folks often ask me if we Americans are really that stupid.
    Why yes. Yes we are.

I think part of the problem is just that...you said you're using various avatars and what-not?

I would say wait for a bit, becoming a slightly known user in the forums, and when you have the ability, talk to people in the modding-centric forums. This is just a welcoming forum where noobs like me that don't really mod but like to hang out because the people are cool come and post back. And then the mods come and give you links, to things, sort of.

But trust me, from what I've seen, these people are MORE than willing to help, it's just that not everyone has the time to check every sub-section of every forum. I'm sure help shall come!
    "My milkshake brings all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like 'It's better than thine.' Verily, it's better than thine, I could teach you, but I must levy a fee."