Thread: The 800000 scandal

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default The 800000 scandal

This happened in Argentina, and Im not surprised.

Cash on Flight From Venezuela Spurs Talk of Official Scandal

By Monte Reel
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Friday, August 10, 2007; Page A09

BUENOS AIRES, Aug. 9 -- Days after authorities discovered a suitcase full of nearly $800,000 that had been taken on a private airplane carrying Argentine and Venezuelan officials, one of those officials has resigned and suspicions of a government scandal have grown.

A Venezuelan businessman was detained at a Buenos Aires airport Saturday when customs officials found $790,550 in undeclared cash in his luggage. The incident preceded Monday's arrival here of Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez, leading to questions about the possibility of a link between the businessman and the Venezuelan or Argentine governments.

Chávez denied any connection, while Argentine officials initially declined to comment on the case.

But as an investigation by the local news media simmered throughout the week and a witness accused Argentine officials of accompanying the businessman, Argentina's state oil company, Energia Argentina SA, or Enarsa, released a statement Wednesday night revealing that it had chartered the small plane.

The statement named the businessman, Alejandro Antonini Wilson, and listed his seven traveling companions: the president of Enarsa, two Argentine Planning Ministry officials and executives from Venezuela's state oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela SA, or PDVSA.

The Argentine officials had been in the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, to work on an energy deal between the two countries, according to the statement. Enarsa officials stated that they did not know Wilson and that he had boarded the plane as a guest of the son of a PDVSA vice president.

Thursday morning, Claudio Uberti -- chief of Argentina's toll road authority and a passenger on the plane -- submitted his resignation. Uberti was a key negotiator in deals with the government of Venezuela, which has strengthened ties with President Néstor Kirchner's government in recent years.

Attempting to enter Argentina with more than $10,000 in undeclared cash is a misdemeanor, and the penalty is a fine of half of the undeclared amount. Members of the airport police said this week that Wilson had tried to bribe customs officials before they seized the money, which remains unclaimed in a bank account. The Enarsa statement indicated that Wilson did not try to hide the money when he passed through customs.

Wilson, 46, left Argentina on Wednesday without being questioned, traveling via commercial jet to Montevideo, the Uruguayan capital. Chávez and his delegation also traveled to Montevideo on Wednesday following his stay in Buenos Aires, where he signed energy accords and bought $500 million in Argentine bonds.

During a news conference Monday, Chávez said the emerging suspicions that Wilson had ties to the Venezuelan government were "absolutely false," and he blamed the incident on the United States.

"It is part of the plan of the empire to disrupt our travels," Chavez told reporters.

Speaking with a local radio station, Argentine Planning Minister Julio De Vido praised customs officials for finding the undeclared money but reiterated that the government had no connection to Wilson.

It remains unknown why Wilson was carrying the money; he has not been charged with a crime. But the incident has provided more fodder for critics of Kirchner, whose administration has confronted a series of scandals in recent months.

Last month, Economy Minister Felisa Miceli was forced to resign after more than $60,000 was found in her office bathroom. She defended herself against accusations of wrongdoing and said she had borrowed most of the cash from her brother for a real estate purchase, but critics have called for an investigation.

Previously, officials with Argentina's natural gas regulator and the public works agency resigned as part of a bribery scandal involving a Swedish construction company. Many of Kirchner's opponents also have accused his government of tampering with economic data to lower inflation statistics this year, and some state statisticians have resigned in protest.

Kirchner's supporters have argued that such incidents would never have been uncovered during previous administrations.
    Who I have to blame?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Re: The 800000 scandal

America obviously....
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I wonder if that happened once.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

$800,000, and you're upset? About what? In America we call that business as usual - a cheap date.

Hell, we don't get upset when $20Billion disappears for military equipment in Iraq, or $50Billion is misappropriated from the intended refurbishing of the infrastructure in Iraq (by our own no-bid contractors and their Iraqi cohorts), or when 380,000T of munitions get lost in Iraq, or when 200,000 weapons go missing in Iraq (from the Iraqi military), or when we pay for a "bridge to no-where" (+$38,000,000), or even when 10's of thousands of Katrina refugees remain displaced and still can't get funding to rebuild their destroyed homes (While no-bid contractors again make $billions for doing ... next to nothing).
    The N.O.'s Black Wards are now tourist attractions, how sad is that?

$800,000 - gah! That our problems were so minute. We got a ex-congressman (since he went to jail - the numb-nuts in Calif. re-elected him while he was being investigated) that took $millions in bribes. We got a President that became a millionaire by running the offices of a baseball team - and there remain some that still believe he actually owned it (or a part of it - he owned ziltch, nadda, nothing. Though he was rewarded millions when the club was sold - for not burning down the stadium (I suppose).

A pitance when one considers the $billions$ passed between corporations and governments as bribes on a weekly basis. To say nothing of what passes as political contributions.

To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    $800,000, and you're upset? About what? In America we call that business as usual - a cheap date.

Hell, we don't get upset when $20Billion disappears for military equipment in Iraq, or $50Billion is misappropriated from the intended refurbishing of the infrastructure in Iraq (by our own no-bid contractors and their Iraqi cohorts), or when 380,000T of munitions get lost in Iraq, or when 200,000 weapons go missing in Iraq (from the Iraqi military), or when we pay for a "bridge to no-where" (+$38,000,000), or even when 10's of thousands of Katrina refugees remain displaced and still can't get funding to rebuild their destroyed homes (While no-bid contractors again make $billions for doing ... next to nothing).
    The N.O.'s Black Wards are now tourist attractions, how sad is that?

$800,000 - gah! That our problems were so minute. We got a ex-congressman (since he went to jail - the numb-nuts in Calif. re-elected him while he was being investigated) that took $millions in bribes. We got a President that became a millionaire by running the offices of a baseball team - and there remain some that still believe he actually owned it (or a part of it - he owned ziltch, nadda, nothing. Though he was rewarded millions when the club was sold - for not burning down the stadium (I suppose).

A pitance when one considers the $billions$ passed between corporations and governments as bribes on a weekly basis. To say nothing of what passes as political contributions.

That's pretty good how you can turn a totally unrelated thread into something that bashes America. I mean, well done.

$800,000, and you're upset?
    Im not upset.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Ahahahaha Chavez blames America.

Gotta love that guy.

See? See? Kafir was on topic!

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    ...We got a ex-congressman (since he went to jail - the numb-nuts in Calif. re-elected him while he was being investigated)...
    Point of order: Cunningham was re-elected Nov 2004. US Attorney investigation began June 2005.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

We got a ex-congressman (since he went to jail - the numb-nuts in Calif. re-elected him while he was being investigated)...
    If you said Louisiana, then I'd understand because it is a 'government conspiracy'. That is actually what his voters believe.

I also should have put [sarcasm] brackets around my earlier post.

I think that Chavez is out for oil money. He starts by taking the oil in Venezuela. Then he will bribe and buy every other major oil producer in South America. A one-state OPEC. Can anyone say 'South American Monopoly?"
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 08-12-2007 at 16:41.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Blog Entries

pfft. If it was Americas fault, we would have blown the plane out of the sky and then bombed a few civilian houses.