Thread: Where are the provincial names listed?

Lightbulb Where are the provincial names listed?

I'm playing the Warlord Edition of STW and am hoping that it would be a simple matter to change the strategy map to display the provincial names in Japanese and that the map draws upon a file listing these names that I can go into and replace with their respective Japanese counterparts.

Does the strategy map indeed draw its provincial names from a text file?
    If so, where can I find this file?

If this is to be accomplished another way, please tell.
    Also, if you have a Japanese version of the game and the provincial names are by default in Japanese (Chinese, if you want to get technical), or if you have already accomplished what I hope to do, please share a picture of the strategy map.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Re: Where are the provincial names listed?

Good chance that it is indeed possible to change them. You'll need to edit a .txt file, I guess. Try searching for the region names in the shogun folder. make sure you search in files, not in file titles.

You could try PM'ing Barocca. He knows incredibly much about stuff like this.

Good luck!

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Lightbulb An image, not text

As Drisos suggested, I have asked Barocca about this and he pointed out to me that the province names are actually part of the map's image and that in order to change them I would have to redraw the map. While this is definitely more work than what I had originally expected, I [I]am[I] I haven't given up yet. With help from you fans I may just accomplish this yet.

So instead of searching for a text file I am now looking for the campaign map's image, be it in whatever form it may. I've found the following directory.

Shogun - Total War - Warlord Edition\textures\campmap

Within this directory there are 6 files of 3 different file types, all of which neither I, my computer, or Windows recognizes. These file types are LBM, BP8, & TGA. If you recognize these, please post a reply explaining their usages, likelihoods of being the campaign map's image, and if one is the image, how to edit it.

Again, if you have a Japanese (or Chinese) version of the game and the provincial names are by default in Japanese (Chinese), please share a picture of your strategy map, or even the map's file.

Also, this post could use a bit more activity. If you, too, would like your campaign map to be that much more representative of the era & culture, please voice your support for the translation endeavor.

Thanks for the help.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Re: Where are the provincial names listed?

I don't know about the other two types, but TGA is opened by Irfanview. Irfanview is useful, free, downloadable software. It'll probably www.irfanview.com or something. Easily findable trough google. I (and others) have used this program to post screenshots on forums like these. (If you take a screenshot with F2 or F3 I don't recall which, it's saved as TGA as well.)

Good luck!

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -