Thread: Charles XII and Louis XIV biography

Default Charles XII and Louis XIV biography

Can anyone recommend a good Charles XII or Louis XIV biography. I'm working mainly from general histories with a focus toward England and Russia, so it would be nice to get a more detailed account of these rulers.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Default Re: Charles XII and Louis XIV biography

Two examples of biographies on Charles XII, both of them a bit old but both of them still probably the most enjoyable. There are some new Swedish ones also but I dont know if they have been translated yet. Of course there are some more written in English aswell but I think you would enjoy these two very much.

This one might be the best biography ever written in Sweden;
    Author: Bengtsson, Frans G., 1894-1954
    Title: The life of Charles XII, king of Sweden 1697-1718
    (with an introduction by Eric Linklater ; translated from the Swedish by Naomi Walford) (Bengtsson is also the writer of the superb book R÷de Orm, a very fascinating viking saga)

You have also of course Voltaires: Charles XII. In this one you can see how the impression Charles made on Europe at the time it happened.

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.