http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22245585-2,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rock eisteddfod entry pans Bush before APEC
THE Federal Government has accused a high school of "hijacking" a major rock eisteddfod to protest against visiting US President George W.Bush at the APEC forum.

The self-proclaimed "savage" performance piece depicts Mr Bush as the pilot of a crashing plane and attacks the US-led invasion of Iraq.

In an embarrassing glitch for organisers, Mr Bush's early arrival at the international forum means he will be in time to catch the anti-Bush performance at the 2007 Rock Eisteddfod.

The student performance piece Bad Knight II, conceived by Davidson High School teacher Kim Peade and featuring students as young as 12, is the sequel to the controversial Bad Night in Baghdad, which made headlines in 2004 for its overtly political theme.

The timing of the production, to be shown at the grand final at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on September 6, is two days after President Bush is expected to arrive in Sydney.

The five-part act opens with Mr Bush as the pilot of a plane about to crash, before going into a segment entitled I'll go anywhere to fight for oil to lubricate the red, white and blue.

The third part features a group of women lamenting the deaths of their sons and husbands in Iraq. The fourth is entitled, Tell somebody, Repeal the Patriot Act and it closes with a performance to Pink's anti-Bush anthem, Dear Mr President.

It will be performed by 99 students in Years 7 to 11 from the northern suburbs school, with a 20-student stage crew.

Federal Education Minister Julie Bishop said the Rock Eisteddfod had been "hijacked by political activists".

"Of particular concern is that this school performed an anti-Iraq war production in 2004 and there appears to be a political agenda at work, rather than a focus on healthy lifestyles," she said.

NSW Opposition education spokesman Andrew Stoner said the performance would embarrass Sydney.

"APEC is globally significant and should be seen by the Iemma Government as an opportunity to showcase Sydney instead of embarrassing residents with political activity aimed at visiting dignitaries," he said.

Mr Peade acknowledged the piece was "savage", but made no apologies for the performance, saying it posed important questions about a war in which 3500 Americans have died.

"While it starts with a particularly savage piece of satire, we go into the concept of the affront upon the people of America.

"This is what he has done. He's made the decision to go into this thing and look at the mess they're in," Mr Peade said.

The Education Department defended the production, saying it was an extra-curricula activity and formed no part of the school's academic program.
Now, as much as I completely agree with the politics of this, I believe that a Public School should not do this, because it shouldn't be the place for political commentary. On the other hand, I have no opposition to where they are showing this. That is freedom of speech and if they want to say it, they should go ahead and do so.