Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC Gamer UK review

Nope i not found mag?
    I have the edition 112 with Warcraft III review....which i bought a couple of weeks ago.
    What does the new front cover on this 1 look like?
    i still think its the 7th?
    I shall look again on Wednesday

hmmmm what edition is this 1 that u say is out?113 maybe?

Quote Originally posted by Terazawa Tokugawa:
    You're still way back FasT

[/QUOTE]Yup i agree,im still a newbie with much too learn..U guys have been plyin 2 years or so now....FasT has only been plyin since December.....+ i was offline for 2/3months with comp problems.But i still have so much fun! no matter what.

hmmmmm Now when shall i take my head back!

both PCZ and PCG (UK) got their STW facts completely wrong and missed out the buggy parts entirely....indeed neither even knew about many of them...

In both cases they thrived playing the game across their LANs and spent little time on the SP Campaigns or Internet MP etc.

Dont expect anything different this time around...and until they dedicate 300+ hours to campaign play alone, don't imagine they have much clue as to how it fully plays.

"Dipping your finger into campaign play" isn't the same as "playing the campaigns".

As it stands atm there's no way id give MTW even close to that sort of score... not a chance.

Mag info ?

Mag edition number?

Hell i cant find it R u guys pullin my chains???

No, just your leg

------------------
    Clan Kenchikuka
    evil is within us...

Im with Fast on this one, had a browse through a few newsagents and came up with several versions of PCG none of them with an MTW review though

Wraith
    Proud Member of ClanShades

.COM posted about this...

------------------
    Clan Kenchikuka
    evil is within us...

Not to be Mr.Negative, but I give no more than a grain of salt to magazine reviews. Unless the game is a complete failure from a no-name company, they will give it a decent-to-good review.

As a side note, it's funny Mongol Invasion got a 95% considering how many people hated how reinforcements worked, how one hero could take on an entire army, etc, and the original Shogun, an amazing and unique game, got only a 92%.

The only reviews I care about are from fellow gamers who have bought the game and have played it, and can tell me in all honesty what they think of it, or from personal friends who did the same.

Well...'only' 92%...

------------------
    Clan Kenchikuka
    evil is within us...

DarknScaly,

I don't think PCG and PCZ got it wrong concerning STW. Scores in magazine mean nothingh in terms of absolute quality of a game. It is more a relative measure. They gave STW a scores in the 90% because they considered it was a revolution in the RTS world, and that STW was the best strategy game available. That didn't mean that STW was a perfect game, and that it was bug free, simply it meant that it was the benchmark in terms of strategy game on PC. It was better than AOE and Stracraft.

If you give a low score to MTW because of some bugs, which are likely to be corrected in forthcoming patches, then you are sending the wrong message to people. Most people will understand your low score by "this game is crap, let's buy Warcraft 3 instead". Of course if don't like MTW and think that Warcraft 3, Empire Earth or other C&C games are better than MTW, then you would be perfectly right to give MTW a low score. But if you think that MTW, despite some flaws, is the best strategy game on the market, then you would be very very wrong to give it less than 90%. Because most people who have never played STW woill not read your review, but look directly at the score, and since the score is below 90% will consider the game as crap. Then they would buy Warcraft 3 instead, who got 93% at gamespot, and about 90% in most magazines.

Always best to judge a game urself
    IMO if a game gets a review lower than 80% u should really know its not gunna be that good?

I looked for this mag again with no look

.com......PC gamer.com???

Quote Mag info ?
    Mag edition number?[/QUOTE]

Subscribers to pc gamer get the issue before it comes out in shops it should be in shops around the 7th
    The issue number is 113 and there is a big picture of a knight on the front and medieval total war in big letters at the top.
    The person who reviewed Mongol Invasion was ian roxburgh and was a really big fan of shogun so probably marked it higher than the other people would have (he left now and joined creative assembly and is properly the reason PCG is getting exclusives) reviews are really just the personal opinions of the reviewer dose not mean you will like that game

[This message has been edited by aeglos (edited 08-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by aeglos (edited 08-05-2002).]

Quote Originally posted by togu:
    DarknScaly,

If you give a low score to MTW because of some bugs, which are likely to be corrected in forthcoming patches, then you are sending the wrong message to people.
    [/QUOTE]

Nope - you are telling them the true state of the game - not what you "think" it may be in an unknown future.

One is a review - the other isnt, its a guess.

Reviews are supposed to empower the reader into making an informed decision on whether or not to buy the game... hard to do that if folks "forget to mention" bugs, missing features etc etc...and no use to the reader when they find out the reviewer said "well i figured they'd fix that so i didn't mention it wont run on windows platforms".

E.g.

a) This is a brilliant game
    b) This is a brilliant game IF they fix XYZ so that it actually works as intended.

Entirely up to you which version you'd like to read... I know which one I want to know about...and i don't read PCG or PCZ because they are too full of a)'s.

ok thnxs for info....

And plzs dont lets turn this into a sour debate?

If u like it ply it..if not dont

I will buy that edition anyway.

Thanks Aeglos.

------------------
    Clan Kenchikuka
    evil is within us...

Quote Originally posted by Terazawa Tokugawa:
    I will buy that edition anyway.

Thanks Aeglos.

[/QUOTE]
    Ok 1 day to go them im off to hunt for it yet again
    If i had a scanner......I would send u the images Tera....then i could alter and ajust some then upload them here without getting ur ASS! sued
    Hmmmmmm just a thought maybe one of my m8's has 1...I'll go check this out now!He could scan them and send them through to me???

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Well i have the demo which came with the July issue (no.111).

The cover is about Doom 3 though. It has a fourpage look at MTW but no score so not a full review.

The fourpage look at MTW is also on pcgamer.com

and also possibly DD's site.

------------------
    Jaguara-Spoken like a TRUE SPAMMER Toda!

No Fear Legend.

Dark 'n Scaly,

You're very much right. Let's have a look at PCGamers 'independant' role for just a split second. One issue ago they got the scoop with the demo on their cd. Nice for everybody. Way to go PCGamer. Now, after Activision have been so nice for them, do you really think that the game would have gotten a low percentage? No, MTW already had 90% + before the review version of the game was on their desks.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. It's how the market works, and we benefit from it because we get the demo one way or the other. And the game we love gets lots of attention and new players come in.

The only thing a review tells me is whether it is absolute crap (don't try too many games that get a below 70% score), potential crap (hell even a score below 80% is suspect) or potentially good (80% and up).

But let's be careful out there... Sea Dogs got some great reviews before it was released. After it had been released the Bethesda forums were buzzing with Bugs, bugs, bugs and... (thinking...) oh yeah, more bugs.

The best ones are the ones that go 'Wow, Nitwit the Barbarian looks great, plays fun unless you got an sblive on a VIA mobo, then you're screwed... we asked the devs about it...' and two months later 'The sound issue reported in our review of Nitwit the Barbarian has been solved in the first patch they released just recently and which you can find on our cover disk'

You want a good review? Here is one:

MTW is a great game building on STW and MI/WE, but with many great and new features, taking the gaming experience one step further. There are technical issues with it. Some of the issues from the demo will be solved in the final release. If you got a Compaq where you can't adjust the AGP aperture in the MOBO's Bios setup you may only be able to play the game without hardware acceleration. Make sure you try the demo firt in that case, and await the news in the forums to find out if this is really an issue. In all other cases, ask the Sword Dojo's resident village idiot Erado San.

Now go out and buy it as soon as it hits the shelves. You're active in the prime fansite's forum. You really need a review?
    For tech support visit erado.totalwar.org

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Erado you forgot the part were you could just play the strategy part of the game if you have a crap computer, which is my likely scenario.

------------------
    "DP is correct" - Shiro

-----------------------
    We may have years, we may have hours,
    but sooner or later, we push up flowers
    DP is correct - Shiro

Well the fact is whether you like the mag PC GAMER UK or not, it was a good review that left a warm feeling in the hearts of all who are anticipating the release for MTW. (just had to give the conclusion!)

------------------
    The assasin of night is a dangerous foe, the assasin of day is extremely dangerous
    The assassin of night is a dangerous foe, however, the assassin of day is most fear-inspiring and dangerous foe from life and battlefield alike.

I got the mag on monday her in Norway (being a subscriber pays off), and found the review quite entertaining. I think the review managed to communicate not only how the game functions, but how you get drawn into it.

Regarding the score, 93% is very good, and in their next number you will see MTW listed as the best RTS game ever in their "Big Game Hunt" pages - STW holds that place now.

The 93% should not be directly compared to the 92% of STW or the 95% (was it really 95?) of the add-on. This is clearly explained two other places in the same mag where score in general is discussed. A game receiving 93% today is probably better than a game that received 94-95% last year, because the bar has been raised since then.
    If you cut off my head, what do I say?
    Me and my body or me and my head?

true except that noone has raised the bar on stw/mi
    Hirosito Mori

Hirosito the Baptist of the Babbiest Babe Thread.

Gentile or Jew
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

vrijbuiter Senior Member Rob The Bastard's Avatar

So... hands up who would pay any attention to a poor review of MTW???

Chances are that we would still go out and buy the game.

Less enthusiastic players would look over a friends shoulder at it running or have a go at a retail store.

Also at this stage of the games development I would still call it a preview. Would the game have been in its ready to release state at the time that it was looked at by the reviewer??? was that a month ago?? two weeks??.

Bring Back Buck

you want a good review? look at this then http://www.fourbelowzero.com/games/s...TW/preview.htm it`s good it`s DD`s read it and weep/laugh/ crie. btw why does PCG come twoo weeks late on the contninetn eh? it`s unfair I tell you. UNFAIR *runs away crieing*.

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

Rob, you asked;
    Quote So... hands up who would pay any attention to a poor review of MTW???[/QUOTE]

My hand is up...way up! I love getting to see the other side of the coin. Hearing both the positives and the negatives gives me the perspective I look for. Knowing what both are allows me to get a pretty good idea of where the truth is (usually somewhere in the middle).

Your next sentence is quite true and I'd fall into that category as well;
    Quote Chances are that we would still go out and buy the game.[/QUOTE]

You are also correct with the "review" being a "preview", unless the game has gone gold and that's what was being looked at.

------------------
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

well, is anyone gonna san the review?
    WORMS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12