Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say no one warned you

Default Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say no one warned you

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/green...146693,00.html

So apparently, environmentalists have become terrorists... If they were planning to blow up planes I could understand it, however, they(the most radical ones, that is), are simply planning to disrupt air travel...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Guardian has established that at least two climate change campaigners have been arrested recently at Heathrow by officers using terrorism powers. Cristina Fraser, a student, was stopped when cycling near the airport with a friend and then charged under section 58 of the Terrorism Act. This makes it an offence to make a record of something that could be used in an act of terrorism.

"I was arrested and held in a police cell for 30 hours. I was terrified. No one knew where I was. They knew I was not a terrorist," she said.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Default Re: Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say noone warned you

Oh dear. My head says this is indeed bad stuff and what about civil liberties.

My heart says I don't care and what about they all have baths and get jobs.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

They could just protest elsewhere. It's not like noone would notice them at Piccadilly Circus.
    And annoying people is not the best way to get sympathy anyway.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin

As a Man of Law you should be personnally offended. Then you should offer to take on their case.

Unless you're a Barrister, in which case you'll have to wait for them to ask you.

Moving on...

Missuse of legislation which is obviously wrong and yet completely legal.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

As a Man of Law you should be personnally offended. Then you should offer to take on their case.
    Unfortunately, I work for money, as well as love, and I don't take payment in tofu.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Well they can't protest within 1 mile of Westminster or Number 10 Downing Street because of fascist laws, so where else have they got to go?
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Search people even if they do not have evidence to suspect them
    Ah, what we Yanks call the 'probable cause' provision for searches. That would be a tricky one. I presume the thinking /argument would be: 'If they don't carry luggage (like a typical airline passenger), they must be there for some other - possibly bad - reason'. And therefore searchable.

From the point-of-view of police: I can see their concern that a violent-intent badguy could infiltrate a peaceful demonstration.

From the point-of-view of a demonstrator: search, siezure & detention merely for participating in a public protest seems an unnecessary abridgement of civil rights.

From the point-of-view of a disinterested traveller: assuming the demo is authorized by authorities, what would be the harm of containment/siting of the demo, allowing them visibility by those interested (and media coverage), while not disrupting travel, or posing any threat of violence. For example: the street entrance to Heathrow, but not in the terminal proper, or on the tarmac.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    http://politics.guardian.co.uk/green...146693,00.html

So apparently, environmentalists have become terrorists... If they were planning to blow up planes I could understand it, however, they(the most radical ones, that is), are simply planning to disrupt air travel...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Guardian has established that at least two climate change campaigners have been arrested recently at Heathrow by officers using terrorism powers. Cristina Fraser, a student, was stopped when cycling near the airport with a friend and then charged under section 58 of the Terrorism Act. This makes it an offence to make a record of something that could be used in an act of terrorism.

"I was arrested and held in a police cell for 30 hours. I was terrified. No one knew where I was. They knew I was not a terrorist," she said.
    So this is a "new police state" how? I've been to London once and the party I was travelling with (a former brit) was busy attempting to point out to me the cameras recording our stroll.

And yes, environmentalists can be terrorists, so when the revlon factory goes up in smoke and everyone is bitching about the police not doing enough maybe the head official will say something like "well boys and girls this isnt Norway after all" and throw all of them in the clink for potential sedition.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Well they can't protest within 1 mile of Westminster or Number 10 Downing Street because of fascist laws, so where else have they got to go?
    They can , in fact Mark Thomas has now entered the Guinness book of records for doing just that lots and lots , apparently it is the record for the largest number of different protest demonstrations a person has held in one day .
    Though I am surprised they didn't give the record for the largest number of simultaneous demonstrations on different issues within a 1 mile radius , perhaps they will for the next big event of simultaneous individual protests he gets together in Westminster .

What is ironic about that law is that it was introduced to stop one man who has a very long running anti-war protest outside Parliament , but due to the way the law is written it doesn't effect him because his ongoing protest predates the legislation and is exempt

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So a bunch of people want to illegally disrupt operations around an airport big terrorist target) and thereby greatly stretch police power from where its needed.

As an occasional plane traveler, I wouldn't really mind the disruptive ones thrown in prison a week or so where they can't massively delay travel.

I don't know about Britain, but here in the US certain envirowhackos have been terrorists for years, and are near the top of the FBI's domestic terrorism threat list.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say noone warned you

Hah! I can tell you are nearing forty.

Come on, assuming these are just the usual harmless unwashed veganists that better the world by hanging out at airports and nuclear plants all day, this is a disgrace.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Re: Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say no one warned you

All depends on what these jamokes were doing out at the airport. If they're just sitting around, smoking dope and waving signs saying "stop the pollution", then Louis and others are right, this is a violation of their right to peacably assemble. But if they're actually disrupting traffic and impeding the progress of others, CR is right. They're troublemakers and violating the rights of others and should get punished accordingly.

That being said, it is scary how easy it is to get on a watch list, or on the no-fly list or any of the other lists they have circulating around. I'm probably on one now for saying that.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    All depends on what these jamokes were doing out at the airport. If they're just sitting around, smoking dope and waving signs saying "stop the pollution", then Louis and others are right, this is a violation of their right to peacably assemble. But if they're actually disrupting traffic and impeding the progress of others, CR is right. They're troublemakers and violating the rights of others and should get punished accordingly.
    As with any demonstration, there are a couple of nutcases who want a more militant approach. However, this time all they are planning, is to call in fake bomb reports and such... Nothing that will hurt anyone, and how much it will affect travel is decided by how much hysteria the police will make out of it... It hardly seems like a good enough reason to strip search 1500 peaceful demonstrators. But then, they get in the way of business, I suppose...

Btw, they'll be hard-pressed to disrupt travel more than the current airport "security" measures do now...

That being said, it is scary how easy it is to get on a watch list, or on the no-fly list or any of the other lists they have circulating around. I'm probably on one now for saying that.
    Very true. I don't really know whether I'll be allowed entry into the US, I guess I'll find out when the time comes...

Very true. I don't really know whether I'll be allowed entry into the US, I guess I'll find out when the time comes...
    Why wouldn't you be allowed entry?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Why wouldn't you be allowed entry?
    Well, firstly, I am a propaganda-spreading commie...

Oh, and I've been suspected, watched and investigated for terrorism.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Well, the police don't have the luxury of treating any bomb-threat as fake, even when they're mostly certain it is. It requires a full response because if they turn out to be wrong, and the police didn't work to prevent it, the consequences would be tremendous. Not to mention, if we do as you suggest, and just let folks phone in fake-bomb-scares as a form of protest, what happens when some idiot gets the bright idea to start making real ones, then says "Hey, we warned you".

Threatening violence is a form of terrorism, granted not as extreme as enacting violence. Those involved should have been investegated. They're lucky they didn't have any charges filed against them.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Most people would have some sympathy with the environmentalists and NIMBYs who are protesting. Right up until the point that it disrupts their holiday.

Such a protest would be utterly counterproductive IMO.

I can already feel my sympathy draining away and I'm not even in a six hour queue because some idiot has chained himself to something vital.

Peaceful protest is one thing, but when it comes to direct action things can get a little bit blurry, especially around airports.

I'd much rather return to the protestor the right to protest outside 10 Downing Street (or a military camp) than have them piss around outside an airport. Especially if I need to use that airport.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Well, the police don't have the luxury of treating any bomb-threat as fake, even when they're mostly certain it is. It requires a full response because if they turn out to be wrong, and the police didn't work to prevent it, the consequences would be tremendous. Not to mention, if we do as you suggest, and just let folks phone in fake-bomb-scares as a form of protest, what happens when some idiot gets the bright idea to start making real ones, then says "Hey, we warned you".
    How can random searches be an effective countermeasure against fake bomb calls...? What are you searching for, cell phones? I've never said "hey, let's do nothing", but how on earth can random searches(or any searches) prevent fake bomb calls? Sure, investigate the bomb reports if they come. But remember that there are 2 ways of doing that:

1. Keep it quiet, evacuate the area in question quietly and effectively with an emphasis on calming people so that it goes quickly, search the area and if nothing is found, it's business as usual
    2. Run all around the airport screaming "IT'S GONNA BLOW", empty the airport, send in search teams, and then keep the airport locked and guarded for a day or so. Oh, and arrest every protester around the airport and bill them for the financial loss.

Those involved should have been investegated. They're lucky they didn't have any charges filed against them.
    Well, that might be because it hasn't started yet...

Default Re : Re: Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say no one warned you

I hear what you are saying, or CR, but the point is that these people are climate protesters. If they disrupt air traffic, they should be arrested and tried for disrupting traffic - not for terrorism. If they protest by unlawful means, they should be prosecuted for breaching the laws they broke, not for terrorism.

The rationale for the police is this: 'Should individuals or small groups seek to take action outside of lawful protest they will be dealt with robustly using terrorism powers. This is because the presence of large numbers of protesters at or near the airport will reduce our ability to proactively counter the terrorist act'.

This is rubbish. If I steal some chewing gum, I am according to this logic using up precious judicial and police resources that could've been used to counter terrorism.
    Anti-terror laws are abused in this case. The police are well out of line here, doing what civil liberty groups have been arguing: that anti-terrorist laws give too much power to authorities, too much unchecked power, and that it will lead to improper abuse of this power. Give authorities a finger and they'll take your hand.

I don't necessarily agree with the protesters cause, I may not even disagree with tough anti-terror laws itself, but I do object the improper and wanton use of the tremendous power anti-terror laws give the police.

So I say we try the police for terrorism: their abuse of anti-terror laws in this way will undermine public support for anti-terror laws, thereby aiding terrorists in the long run.
    Not everything

Blog Entries

I do agree, Louis, that these people should be prosecuted for disrupting air travel. However, if they do what Horetore says they are going to do - call in fake bomb threats, that's far beyond chaining themselves together to block traffic or something. That is terrorism - the use of fear to promote political goals.*

However, this time all they are planning, is to call in fake bomb reports and such... Nothing that will hurt anyone, and how much it will affect travel is decided by how much hysteria the police will make out of it... It hardly seems like a good enough reason to strip search 1500 peaceful demonstrators. But then, they get in the way of business, I suppose...
    No bomb report, especially in this time, can be treated as fake, and if that is what these people are planning on doing, then my opinion of them went from annoyance to they are despicable scumbags.

Crazed Rabbit

*Necessary disclaimer for whiners: This is not a thorough definition, should not be treated as such, nor used for debate, just a short quick one to get the point across.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Default Re : Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say no one warned you

No bomb report, especially in this time, can be treated as fake, and if that is what these people are planning on doing, then my opinion of them went from annoyance to they are despicable scumbags.
    Yes, you are quite right and you expressed my feelings about it very eloquently.
    Also, now that I think about it a bit more, it suddenly occurs to me that these climate protesters are dealing with airports, and with public transport in the UK.
    (Yes, I'm a bit slow)

Both of which warrant close monitoring, a nervous police force and some extended power to the authorities.

Gah! The trying times we live in!
    Not everything

Default Re: Re : Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say no one warned you

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Both of which warrant close monitoring, a nervous police force and some extended power to the authorities.

Gah! The trying times we live in!
    True. But not without reason. You simply can't have a world where you can be arrested for "looking suspicious". Or, actually you can, but that would be a police state... Do we really want that?

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Why not just assign them designated areas for protest, that won't interfere with airport ops, or their right to protest?

Throw a few MI5 guys in there amongst them to mill about looking for trouble-makers. Let 'em have bullhorns and signs and all. Let the media cover it. Everybody happy (except maybe the anti-enviro's).
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Blog Entries

True. But not without reason. You simply can't have a world where you can be arrested for "looking suspicious". Or, actually you can, but that would be a police state... Do we really want that?
    Saying they plan on calling in bomb threats and doing other illegal activities sounds like reason enough.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Saying they plan on calling in bomb threats and doing other illegal activities sounds like reason enough.

CR
    For random searches? Pray tell, what would these searches accomplish?

Default Re : Re: Re : Hah! Enjoy your new police state - don't say no one warned you

I agree with that, totally. It just suddenly occured to me that they are protesting at an airport, and that that does add additional complications and responsibilities for both the climate protesters and those monitoring them.

They should all listen to Kukri, the overlord of the .Org and the entire world beyond.
    Not everything

Blog Entries

For random searches? Pray tell, what would these searches accomplish?
    Yes, of those attending the protest. They'd make sure nobody is going to harm travelers or cause illegal disruptions. You can't honestly say ' we're going to call in fake bomb threats' and expect the police to let you get close to an airport to purposely disrupt it.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Yes, of those attending the protest. They'd make sure nobody is going to harm travelers or cause illegal disruptions. You can't honestly say ' we're going to call in fake bomb threats' and expect the police to let you get close to an airport to purposely disrupt it.

Crazed Rabbit
    You'll have to explain that one. How does going through someone's stuff prevent him from making a fake bomb call...?

You'd have to confiscate every cell phone to do that. And cut the wires on every phone in the area. Oh, and shut down all transportation so that the protesters are stuck and can't reach a phone... But wasn't that what the protesters were planning?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Unfortunately, I work for money, as well as love, and I don't take payment in tofu.
    But if they can't contact a lawyer they will find it very hard to pay you in any currency... so you might be losing income.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Well the protesters are claiming that BAA madep the bomb threats thing after failing to get the injunction against the protest .
    Meanwhile their direct action has involved chaining themselves to airport gates at two private airfields .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast