Thread: Please Help Me Someone

Default Please Help Me Someone

hi please answer me soon i just started playing two days ago and i am the Egyptians i'm trying to finish off the Byzantines but i cant get to the middle islands like Rhodes. How do i get there and also how do i trade across seas and how do i move soldiers by boat thank you.

Default Re: Please Help Me Someone

You will need ships between your province and the islands - one in each sea region leading there, and you will need a port in the province you intend to embark your army from. Once you have that, you can just move your army onto Rhodes or wherever, they don't actually embark on the ships. If the target faction also has ships in the way, you will have to take them out first.

In the same way, you trade by creating a chain of ships to your trading partners. You should aim to get at least one ship into every sea region to get the money flooding in, if you're a coastal faction like the Egyptians.

Gregori is right on target. I would just like to add:

1: your troops can be blocked by ships belonging to any hostile faction, not just the target faction.

2: your agents can move by sea from any port to any port, whether you have ships or not, and don't get blocked by enemy ships. This means that you can send an emmisary to "capture" an island by bribing the troops there, assuming that they are not commanded by the emperor or his heirs. Also, you can send assassins to eliminate the royal family, though this requires some really good assassins to be likely to work. I'm pretty sure that if you eliminate the royal family and the Byzantines go rebel, that their fleet will disappear.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue
    Gregori is right on target. I would just like to add:

1: your troops can be blocked by ships belonging to any hostile faction, not just the target faction.

2: your agents can move by sea from any port to any port, whether you have ships or not, and don't get blocked by enemy ships. This means that you can send an emmisary to "capture" an island by bribing the troops there, assuming that they are not commanded by the emperor or his heirs. Also, you can send assassins to eliminate the royal family, though this requires some really good assassins to be likely to work. I'm pretty sure that if you eliminate the royal family and the Byzantines go rebel, that their fleet will disappear.
    Quite right. I use bribery a lot once I've got the money. Assassination can work if there are few targets, but if there are a lot of heirs the chances are some will get the Invulnerable trait. You can effectively send the ruler mad though, by giving him the Paranoid trait :)

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Welcome to the Org, pstar23!

In addition to what the others have said, you should also be aware of one more thing: When you invade a province by sea (regardless of whether it's an island), your army will not be able to retreat. So if you're victorious, you'll first have to construct a port in the province you've just conquered before you can pull any of your men out of there.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Martok raises an excellent point. You should also be wary of using your ruler for a sea attack. If he cannot get back to your lands because there was no port in the target province or because your troops destroyed it, then he is considered cut off from his kingdom. Loyalty throughout the kingdom will drop, and rebellions will become much more likely.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue
    Martok raises an excellent point. You should also be wary of using your ruler for a sea attack. If he cannot get back to your lands because there was no port in the target province or because your troops destroyed it, then he is considered cut off from his kingdom. Loyalty throughout the kingdom will drop, and rebellions will become much more likely.
    Brandy Blue is correct. As a matter of fact, you should *never* let your faction's ruler lead a seaborne invasion -- EVER! If your king gets stuck somehwhere without a port, then rebellion and/or civil war is almost a forgone conclusion. Much better to lead sea attacks with a general you consider at least somewhat expendable (in case the worst happens).

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    Brandy Blue is correct. As a matter of fact, you should *never* let your faction's ruler lead a seaborne invasion -- EVER! If your king gets stuck somehwhere without a port, then rebellion and/or civil war is almost a forgone conclusion. Much better to lead sea attacks with a general you consider at least somewhat expendable (in case the worst happens).
    I hate to play the devils advocate here, but thats not always true. If you have a weak king, but a strong non-heir prince, then "engineering such a situation would be an exceptable way to improve your line by send the weak members of the royal family to thier deaths, err, I mean glorious victory . When the ransom note comes back, just ignore it. Also, it's one of the easier ways to engineer a rebellion, just make sure he gets cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLordandConqueror
    I hate to play the devils advocate here, but thats not always true. If you have a weak king, but a strong non-heir prince, then "engineering such a situation would be an exceptable way to improve your line by send the weak members of the royal family to thier deaths, err, I mean glorious victory . When the ransom note comes back, just ignore it. Also, it's one of the easier ways to engineer a rebellion, just make sure he gets cut off.

Indeed. Some careful "pruning" of your family tree is essential at times (nobody wants to see that crazy, inbred heir take over the kingdom. When doing this it's essential to command the battle yourself so theres no chance of your prince escapeing alive(then he will be a crazy, inbred, cowardly heir)

Quote Originally Posted by YourLordandConqueror
    You're entirely correct, YLC, and I probably should've added that qualifier to my last post. I've often used this tactic myself to get rid of a bad king and/or any unwanted heirs, so I certainly can't claim ignornace of it.

The point I was trying to get across was that if you're trying to avoid a civil war and/or mass rebellion -- and many newer players are -- that you should then not let your faction ruler personally lead an amphibious assault. (If you're trying to deliberately start a civil war, however, then of course that's an entirely different animal.)