Thread: Creating a new faction

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Default Creating a new faction

Creating a new faction isn't in the Modding Answers section. How do you add a fully functional new faction to R:TW?

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Default Re: Creating a new faction

Short Answer: You can't.

Long Answer: You replace an existing faction, as there is a 21 faction limit in RTW. This would involde removing all buildings, all units from their respective files and adding new ones. Changing the in game name for the faction, character names, and more.
    Last edited by Squid; 08-16-2007 at 17:30.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Is there an FAQ for what files I must change? I didn't expect it to be easy.

nobody knows of a Rome: Total War FAQ for creating a new faction? That's sad...

This tells you how to convert a roman faction to a different culture. That's obviously not exactly what you want, but it does describe a faction change, so pretty much everything you would need to deal with is addressed there.

Before you pontificate about how sad it is that a FAQ for adding a new culture does not exist, you ought to have a clear understanding about just how much work that would be.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Oh, no no no no no, I didn't mean it like that man. It just thought it was sad that no one had replied yet, after quite a few "views". I know it takes work, I created a new faction in M2:TW. It took a while, but was worth it, since they were pretty much the most gifted faction in both units and buildings, "but was in the New World"

That was pretty much awesome. I only had trouble with unit textures and banners. Never could get those to turn out right...

In fact, I've began creating my faction on my own already, removing "Parthia" completely and are going to add in the "Spartans" as some sort of seceded union from the Greek Cities. Turns out the word "Parthia" is in 78 files in C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\ *

It's even taking me forever to completely remove something. Imagine completely CREATING something.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

erm you can change the internal name (which is what you are doing if you entirely remove and then add back) if you want but there is really very little point for factions like Parthia that don't have any hard-coded attributes.

Just find the expanded_bi.txt file and change bits like
    {Parthia} Parthia
    to
    {Parthia} Spartan

changing only parts outside of {} brackets - Spartan will then show up in game - you just need to remember when editing who is really which faction.

Changing the internal name doesn't reduce the amount of work you have to do changing units etc. you still have to add them separately either way.
    Last edited by Makanyane; 08-17-2007 at 14:39.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

I thought of that halfway through completely getting rid of the Parthians. I figure I'd use another factions stuff and just copy it now... that could've saved me lots of time... lol

I got so far and then messed up somewhere. I'm going to start over once again and backup everything I do... like a smart person.