Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunpowder Units Ineffective

Default Re: Gunpowder Units Ineffective

How could a handgun be cheaper then a length of wood with a piece of pig-iron on the end?

How could a handgun be cheaper then a length of wood with a piece of pig-iron on the end?
    I'm not sure about the guns, but I imagine that Shot was a lot cheaper then arrows. Arrows had to be assembled by skilled crafts men. Shot requires little skilled labor and is much easier to mass produce.
    All you can do is pray for a quick death... which you ain't gonna get -Mr. Blonde

edit
    Last edited by locked_thread; 07-18-2008 at 02:34.

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCentaur
    In terms of ammo costs: I agree with LeeJackson that grinding powder and producing cheap slugs was cheaper than crafting arrows tipped with armor piercing high grade steel.

Also I'd say gunpowder is cheaper to haul into battle. Powder and shot are compact for transportation, translating to fewer wagon trains. This also means fewer mules to feed and more fodder for your cavalry.
    Surely during this period gunpowder was still hard to come by and therefore expensive. It was also temperamental and vulnerable to moisture where as I would imagine you could store up plenty of cross bow bolts until they were needed.

edit
    Last edited by locked_thread; 07-18-2008 at 02:34.

Man behind the screen Member Empirate's Avatar

Gunpowder consists of charcoal (easy to get), sulphur (relatively easy to get) and saltpeter (very tricky to get). For a long time, the Atacama desert in Chile was the only place where saltpeter could be found in great abundance, thus limiting gunpowder use to what saltpeter you could scratch from your own ground - usually not much. The synthesis of Saltpeter was only invented in the 20th century!
    Furthermore, gunpowder is dangerous in great quantities and highly perishable in heavy weather. Shot isn't that easy, either. You can stick much anything into a blunderbuss (nails, small rocks, shards of earthenware...), but a musket will only take smooth leaden balls or blow up.
    I agree about crossbows and of course bows being "high-tech", and about arrows and bolts being tricky to make. Still, one should not underestimate the costs of gunpowder weapons. Even making simple tubes of iron isn't so easy using only renaissance metallurgy. I won't believe gunpowder weapons were successful because of the cost involved. Crossbows would remain the superior weapon for a long time, while bows just needed too much training. I say it must have been as much a cultural thing as anything else!

Also, in the early armies that used handguns or even muskets, bows and crossbows still played a large role. We talk about the Mughal "gunpowder empires", for example, but these were founded as much on mounted archers as on cannon, handguns and muskets.
    People know what they do,
    And they know why they do what they do,
    But they do not know what what they are doing does
    -Catherine Bell

edit
    Last edited by locked_thread; 07-18-2008 at 02:35.

Man behind the screen Member Empirate's Avatar

I suspect you might be right... However, it's clear that the transition took several hundred years to complete. So the M2:TW depiction, in which gunpowder-equipped armies fight against crossbow- or even bow-equipped armies is not at all inaccurate. For me, it is part of the appeal of the game that different tech levels can clash, but are still close enough that the lower tech level can win given numerical or tactical superiority.
    People know what they do,
    And they know why they do what they do,
    But they do not know what what they are doing does
    -Catherine Bell

I'm using patch 1.2 and have had lots of trouble with my gunpowder units in skirmish. Only the front row fires and they don't even fire as a unit (just sporadically). Any help?

Also, whenever my gunpowder units get hit by enemy missiles they have to 'reform' before firing. This is VERY annowing. Any help?

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius86
    I'm using patch 1.2 and have had lots of trouble with my gunpowder units in skirmish. Only the front row fires and they don't even fire as a unit (just sporadically). Any help?

Also, whenever my gunpowder units get hit by enemy missiles they have to 'reform' before firing. This is VERY annowing. Any help?
    This is a very well known bug. Don't remember the solution from the top of my head, but a quick search should do it
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Timurid Elephanzers. Those things are absolutely ridiculous and are probably the best gunpowder units in the game.

Suddenly bridge battles become not so great an idea...
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Not to mention the Elephantmusketeers who can out shoot a squad of 90 Musketeers! Madness!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12