Thread: Pahlavan A.I.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pahlavan A.I.

I have played as the Romans, the Seleucids, the Ptolemys, the Averni and the Bactrians. In all those games, I've noticed that the Parthians never expand into Persia. I mean as the Seleucid faction, there wasn't any pressure to defend any eastern territories. Is it simply easier for nomad-based A.I. factions to assualt settlements with no defensive barriers?

I've just started playing as the Pahlava two weeks ago, and I targeted the Seleucid dominions in the south for the obvious benefit of access to superior infantry units. I've developed the routine of brigading cavalry (mostly horse-archers) together, and sending them to lands beyond my own frontiers to investigate th layout. Has anyone else done this as well? I know you can use diplomats, spies and assassins for just that reason, but I'm talking about large, mobile military expeditions operating within a thousand miles of your kingdoms borders as a pre-emptive or punitive measure. Just to massacre a couple of enemy field forces.

After conquering the Indian kingdoms last night, I was disappointed that I couldn't recruit elephants. Is there any place the Parthians can acquire elephants?
    Last edited by Magister Militum Titus Pullo; 08-17-2007 at 20:52.

Default Re: Pahlavan A.I.

Lucky you. In my Seleukid game they full-stacked invaded Hyrkania by 267 BC -ish... Totally anihilated them, of course. And the Baktrians as well. Don't like that sort of jokers who tear all my alliances apart.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

"Technocrat Politician" Member C.LVCIANVS's Avatar

In my campaigns I've seen pahlavans expansions principally in southern areas, Hyrkania, Parthava ecc. often after AS rebellions of their cities along borders, +- 240 B.C. A war between AS and Baktria helps, and a more aggressive Saka (touching the core_attitude in descr_strat )push them out of steppe. Could it be a slow expansion, but sometimes I've seen Pahlavans in Phraaspa around 230 B.C.
    °CAIVS^LVCIANVS°

..."Atqve nostris militibvs cvnctantibvs, maxime propter altitvdinem maris, qvi decimae legionis aqvilam ferebat, obtestatvs deos, vt ea res legioni feliciter eveniret: -"Desilite"- inqvit -"commilitones, nisi vvltis aqvilam hostibvs prodere: ego certe mevm rei pvblicae atqve imperatori officivm praestitero"-. Hoc cvm voce magna dixisset, se ex navi proiecit atqve in hostes aqvilam ferre coepit. Tvm nostri cohortati inter se ne tantvm dedecvs admitteretvr vniversi ex navi desilvervnt. Hos item ex proximis [primis] navibvs cvm conspexissent, svbsecvti hostibvs adpropinqvarvnt."

C.IVL.CAESAR COS.
    "COMMENTARII DE BELLO GALLICO" -Liber IV, XXV.

I'm pretty sure Pahvlan can recruit elephantes in india, atleast in the most southern settlement. I know I did. I cant remember if its the local or the factional MIC you need though.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Due to the new Parthian system and the stronger rebels (in the north to deter northern expansion), I've noticed that Pahlav AI does a whole lot better in the interal versions. In my latest campaign, they invaded Seleucid territory and are doing quite well.

Parthia does get elephants. It is probably on tier 4 of the barracks (probably regional, but I'm not sure).

"Technocrat Politician" Member C.LVCIANVS's Avatar

Waiting for next release.
    °CAIVS^LVCIANVS°

..."Atqve nostris militibvs cvnctantibvs, maxime propter altitvdinem maris, qvi decimae legionis aqvilam ferebat, obtestatvs deos, vt ea res legioni feliciter eveniret: -"Desilite"- inqvit -"commilitones, nisi vvltis aqvilam hostibvs prodere: ego certe mevm rei pvblicae atqve imperatori officivm praestitero"-. Hoc cvm voce magna dixisset, se ex navi proiecit atqve in hostes aqvilam ferre coepit. Tvm nostri cohortati inter se ne tantvm dedecvs admitteretvr vniversi ex navi desilvervnt. Hos item ex proximis [primis] navibvs cvm conspexissent, svbsecvti hostibvs adpropinqvarvnt."

C.IVL.CAESAR COS.
    "COMMENTARII DE BELLO GALLICO" -Liber IV, XXV.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Due to the new Parthian system and the stronger rebels (in the north to deter northern expansion)
    You mean they're going to be stronger in the next release?

Wow, they already deterred my northern expansion pretty thoroughly. After getting my ass handed to me by the Alans, I invaded Bactria this afternoon (which proved much easier).

Fight like a meatgrinder

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

In the 081 series, the rebels often went broke and failed to be a good challenge. This has been fixed for the next version.