Thread: Missile Infantry

Default Missile Infantry

How exactly do I charge with infantry like Hastati without them throwing their Pila? for mexample if there is a cavalry charge in to them I want them to bhrace themselves not weaken their stance throwing Pila. Also how come on the description of Hastati their Pila "breaks" when thrown. This did not happen untill the Marius reforms so therefore enemies should be able to throw them back.

Post Re: Missile Infantry

Hi goldendunner,
    Quote Originally Posted by goldendunner
    How exactly do I charge with infantry like Hastati without them throwing their Pila? for mexample if there is a cavalry charge in to them I want them to bhrace themselves not weaken their stance throwing Pila.
    Holding down the "Alt" key on your keyboard and then right-clicking to attack, enables missile units to begin using hand-to-hand combat prior to their projectiles running out.

Hope this helps, good luck, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 08-17-2007 at 13:08.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Default Re: Missile Infantry

Ahh. Thanks Omanes, I was using Ctrl and wondering why it wasn't working.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

This did not happen untill the Marius reforms so therefore enemies should be able to throw them back.
    Actually, it was Julivs Caesar who made this reform of the pilum.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by Garcilaso de la Vega el Inca
    Actually, it was Julivs Caesar who made this reform of the pilum.
    What? Sorry Garci' but I think your are wrong this time.

http://faculty.vassar.edu/jolott/old...ius/reform.htm

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Well, both were right!

Caesar later moved away from this adaptation; instead choosing to leave the iron beneath the point untempered, so that it would bend on impact and be impossible to return.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

I'll agree to that.

Parthian Warlord Member Revenant69's Avatar

Well, I'll put in my $0.02 worth.

The pilum was later modified in such a way that when it hit someone, whether in a shield or in a body, it would bend, thus the enemy would not be able to throw it back. Moreover, the bent pilum, being stuck in a shield, seriously hindered enemy's movement.
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting" -Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Vegetius
    www.slavab.com
    www.agarwaen.com

But who brought in the "bendy" pilum? I still think it was The New Man and Caesar stole it, sorry Garci.

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Missile Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by goldendunner
    But who brought in the "bendy" pilum? I still think it was The New Man and Caesar stole it, sorry Garci.
    I found this:

Early pila do not seem to have had this characteristic; Gaius Marius is sometimes given credit for this modification. Opinion among archaeologists used to be that the main function of the shank was to disable the pilum by bending, but it is now thought that the pilum was a weapon designed primarily to kill, the 'non-return' aspect being an added bonus.

It seems to suggest that no really knows who created the shaft bending Pilum, maybe it was the idea of common soldiers rather than an actual reform, but who ever discovered was a bloody genius.
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

How much pila did units used to have?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Only a couple/a few, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Why waste time on thought when you have a big charge bonus?

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

Just to add to the confusion, didn't Caesar have his troops use the pilum as a spear against cavelry when he fought Pompey at Pharsalus. Which says to me, that they were the non-bendy kind, as they'd have to be pretty rigid to be spears.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Beware! Relentless Looter! Member Flavius Merobaudes's Avatar

Legionnaires in classical times (Caesar/Augustus) had two pila. A small one for a larger distance of about 30 meters and a heavier one for circa 10 meters, afaik directly before impact when charging.
    That way, there was no chance the enemy could reinstall any of line or close gaps.

Not more because such a pilum is rather unwieldy and you can manage to carry two of them, but more would be a problem. If someone always dropped something, that would hinder the movement of the whole unit.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Most cavalry will NOT charge home against a hedge of spears. Training horses to that level is difficult at best. Bayonets at the end of a rifle are only a little longer than a pilum, yet Napoleon's finest cavalry never swamped a "square." The cavalry edge away from such a defense...unless the defender breaks formation. Romans weren't much for breaking formation (decimation if you did and all that).

The Pilum, though rather short for true spear work, still gave the Roman legio a weapon which could form such a "hedge" at need.

If a charge did go home against such a hedge, the bending of pila-heads as they stuck into enemy horses and shields would have been irrelevant. The Romans would be quickly dropping any such weapons anyway as they fought all close combat with sword and shield. Keeping a spear in a melee when you're trained mostly with a sword wouldn't be a good call.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

It's not so much the line of spears they will not charge. It's a solid line of bodies, that appears to a horse to be like a brick wall. Nobody will run head-first in a brick wall, and neither will any horse.

The spears are needed so the infantry can actually strike at the riders effectively. If the riders have longer reach than the infantry, they still have the advantage because the infantry needs to stay in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal
    It's not so much the line of spears they will not charge. It's a solid line of bodies, that appears to a horse to be like a brick wall. Nobody will run head-first in a brick wall, and neither will any horse.

The spears are needed so the infantry can actually strike at the riders effectively. If the riders have longer reach than the infantry, they still have the advantage because the infantry needs to stay in line.
    Doesn't stop my idiotic scythed chariots charging into the odd phalanx when I've ordered them to charge into skirmishers though

Now THAT wouldn't be too good for the chariots' "health", would it?

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrdun
    How exactly do I charge with infantry like Hastati without them throwing their Pila?
    The 'Fire at Will' button! Turn it to off and they'll not throw. On and they'll throw till they're depleted. In the case you offer, they'll just throw one and then charge, unless Fire at Will is off..
    Last edited by ShaiHulud; 10-09-2007 at 00:03.
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....