Thread: The Popes a bit of an expansionist in my game...

A Barbarian Mercenary Member unseen11's Avatar

Default The Popes a bit of an expansionist in my game...

Playing as France it's about turn 1220 and I've noticed in my war with Spain and Venice that the Pope has not only taken over the city of Florence but he has also sent an expedition across the sea to take over the 2 Spanish provinces Valencia and the other rebel one.

Now this kind of annoys me because even though I've destroyed Milan and Denmark and crippled England, HRE, Spain and sent Venice into exile me and the Papacy are the best of friends (mainly due to me having 8 seats out of the college :P) but the last thing I want is him getting in the way of my conquests of Continental Europe, mainly Iberia (havent bothered with Crusading cause I like keeping my Faction heirs close to home)

So I'm wondering if theres anyway with or without modding to change the popes behaviour and make him stay where he belongs in Rome

Default Re: The Popes a bit of an expansionist in my game...

Only thing that came to mind is were is he getting the $ from? Are you bribing him? It appears that if he is not near bankrupt he may expand. SadCat

Quote Originally Posted by unseen11
    Playing as France it's about turn 1220 and I've noticed in my war with Spain and Venice that the Pope has not only taken over the city of Florence but he has also sent an expedition across the sea to take over the 2 Spanish provinces Valencia and the other rebel one.

Now this kind of annoys me because even though I've destroyed Milan and Denmark and crippled England, HRE, Spain and sent Venice into exile me and the Papacy are the best of friends (mainly due to me having 8 seats out of the college :P) but the last thing I want is him getting in the way of my conquests of Continental Europe, mainly Iberia (havent bothered with Crusading cause I like keeping my Faction heirs close to home)

So I'm wondering if theres anyway with or without modding to change the popes behaviour and make him stay where he belongs in Rome
    Sorry to rant but quit yer bitchin.

So many times I wanted to go up against an UberPope and every time he sits docile and doesn't move. I think that this will add to the challenge of the campaign and I think you should look up to it because so far, you steamrolled everything else.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

A Barbarian Mercenary Member unseen11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    Sorry to rant but quit yer bitchin.

So many times I wanted to go up against an UberPope and every time he sits docile and doesn't move. I think that this will add to the challenge of the campaign and I think you should look up to it because so far, you steamrolled everything else.
    lol hey fair enough man, I just like to roll play it a bit some times and seeing the pope expand was just weird at first and his armies arent that great lol, no full stacks or anything. He must of paid for them on my dime hehe

I don't think the Papal and Swiss Guards can be raised in a Papal province outside Italy thereby limiting the danger. Sometimes it expands, sometimes not. Usually once they take Florence, they stop. They seem a normal faction unlike the Senate of RTW. Other factions can attack them, as I discovered when I tried to place my Middle Eastern provinces with them. The Egyptians took them quickly and without fuss.

hey there was a thread a while back with the popes empire as big as the players i'll try to get a link. herehttps://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86245
    Last edited by sirnoob; 08-20-2007 at 12:15.
    king of scotland M2tw hotseat campaign.

thats nothing the pope once conquered all of europe and i was left as the egytptians with starting settlemetns after being beaten down by turks then the big man himself creating a new army for the man in the big hat and he got rid of the turks then wnet after russians by which time i had africa so it was the poep vs africa then i needed a haven to hide form his amrys first thought was america but the damn pope was a heretic and said the world is round and so went to the other side and i had nowhere to hide i got crushed and thats the story of the pope having control of the whole world
    do i win anything for most aggresive poep?

Only times I've seen the Pope getting aggressive was when he declared war on me. It happened twice : he gets pissed on me for beating up fellow catholics, excommunication follows, then in very quick terms he declares a crusade and pops 1-2 strong stacks and get sieging my cities. One time he even managed to build a nice empire for Himself - got all of Africa since my armies were tied up in conflicts all over Europe. Those swiss/papal guards can be a pain if you're not prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by predaturd
    thats nothing the pope once conquered all of europe and i was left as the egytptians with starting settlemetns after being beaten down by turks then the big man himself creating a new army for the man in the big hat and he got rid of the turks then wnet after russians by which time i had africa so it was the poep vs africa then i needed a haven to hide form his amrys first thought was america but the damn pope was a heretic and said the world is round and so went to the other side and i had nowhere to hide i got crushed and thats the story of the pope having control of the whole world
    do i win anything for most aggresive poep?
    Yes ! You just won a brand new keyboard, since yours seems to malfunction - broken shift/caps and punctuation keys. Please forward your credit card and personal information plus two recent photos and a CV to my email address

"That's what we need : someone who'll strike the most brutal blow possible, with perfect aim and with no regard for consequences. Total War."

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Hmm I wonder if the OP is using any mods? In some of the mods I have played the Pope is a bit more agressive...

The Ferryman Member trickydicky's Avatar

Sometimes he gets it in his little old head to go a conquering, this is usually when he takes Florence and falls out with the HRE, if they still hold Bologna that is. Or at least that's what seem to happen in my games.

Also gifting him lots of money seems to help, he then spends it on more men, and those men need something to do after all.
    God Paradox

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Either God wants to abolish evil and cannot, or he can but does not want to, or he cannot and does not want to, or lastly he can and wants to.

If he wants to remove evil, and cannot, he is not omnipotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is not benevolent. If he neither can nor wants to, he is neither omnipotent nor benevolent. But if God can abolish evil and wants to, how does evil exist?

Useful MTW2 Threads

How To Create The Perfect Statesman By Kobald
    A Guide To Guilds By Davybaby
    Useful Strategy Tips Forum Sticky

why should i puntauate when its readable even when its one huge sentence?

One way to entice a Papal expansion campaign is to Ally with him. Gift him lots of money (use the money cheat if you have to). Get everyone to start a war with you while maintaining alliance with Pope(not too hard to get them to attack first). Gift him territories outside of Italy to get him started. Call crusades on territories next to Papal territory and let the Papal armies have the win if they join in on the crusade. Its not full proof but do all that and you have a better chance of getting an expasionist Papacy.

I once played as the duchy of Milan. I was allied with the pope. My council gave me the order to free the city of Florence of that pesky rebels. Of course i take that beautiful city. Two turns later that expansionist swine in Rome marched with his army to Florence and besieged it!

Results: excomm, a very long and bloody war against half europe, and a bitter dislike for his hatness

Don`t talk about passive pope, he is an Machiavellian expansionist

No. The Pope just preempted you, because he knew of the evil desire in your soul to take over the world.

Lol!

I wasn't planning to conquer the whole world, only Europe and maybe some pieces of Africa, Asia and America... But the whole world, no way

The Pope was an expansionist.