Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still can not change files...

Default still can not change files...

umm yeah, i was kinda good at figuring out how to do stuff on RTW, but im confused with M2TW because I did the unpacker and i can edit the files, but it would change to vanilla stuff again, so i read someware to add the:
    [io]

file_first = true

to the preferences, but i stillcan not have the changes appear in game, i think i may have put the io code in wrong, is thier supposed to be a space between the two lines? also i put it at read only so that problem of the code dissapearing does not happen to me, i thought i had it all covered but i quess not...

in the good ol' US of A. my brothr is in the Airforce, and i am proud of what he does for his country.

Default Re: still can not change files...

it's file_first = 1
    not file_first = true
    "Signatures tell the forum who you are. If you make jokes, you are a clown. If you leave serious quotes, you take things seriously. If you challenge the owner of the forums, you are a malcontent.

The Owners are like a government. If you make jokes, they laugh. If you make serious quotes, they keep an eye on you, while probing public opinion on your remarks. If you challenge them, you are a threat." - me on the SWG forums before they censored my sig

it still wont work, geeze this is frustrating.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Actually "true" works just as well as "1".
    Usually, there shouldn't be an extra line between [io] and file_first = true. Don't think it matters though, but worth trying.

Make sure you are using the right config file though, as some bat files may read another config file than the default.

Also, make sure you actually got any files that need to be activated using file_first. If you can post a screenshot of your data folder (or the relevant file you are trying to incorporate) that would help.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 08-19-2007 at 06:46.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

removing the space did nothing, and here is the pic of the file that has the preferences file in it and the data file highlighted.

this is a pic of that preferences file which has the io code:

and here is the code (highlighted) i am trying to add in the export_descr_buildings file:

P.S. I added the Papal States to the list of playable factions successfully, so I dont get why this keeps reverting back to vanilla settings.

OK,
    So you are starting M2TW using the launcher, a bat file, or medieval2.exe directly?
    Your preference file isn't valid I think. Unmark read-only, start M2TW, let it autodetect settings, then make your own settings changes, exit the game and then add the io code again, marking the file read-only.

Also, have you put the EDB file in the plain data folder?

One more thing. With changes to EDB regarding unit hiring, the changes only take effect after you end turn and/or finish the building you put the hiring under. Not when you just load up the game. So if Rome currently has a large stone wall and you add this code, the unit will be available for hire as soon as the huge stone wall is completed there (i.e. using process_cq). If Rome is already a huge city, you can only recruit the units there if you end turn.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 08-19-2007 at 07:12.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    OK,
    So you are starting M2TW using the launcher, a bat file, or medieval2.exe directly?
    Your preference file isn't valid I think. Unmark read-only, start M2TW, let it autodetect settings, then make your own settings changes, exit the game and then add the io code again, marking the file read-only.

Also, have you put the EDB file in the plain data folder?

One more thing. With changes to EDB regarding unit hiring, the changes only take effect after you end turn and/or finish the building you put the hiring under. Not when you just load up the game. So if Rome currently has a large stone wall and you add this code, the unit will be available for hire as soon as the huge stone wall is completed there (i.e. using process_cq). If Rome is already a huge city, you can only recruit the units there if you end turn.
    1. I use the launcher.

2. I unmarked read only, then started M2TW. I didnt get the make your own settings changes part so i just exited and then marked the thing read only again, the code was still there or was i supposed to delete that before i started?

Anyway, I just saw what you added on as i was finishing this, so i will check by ending the turn, and/or building the needed building.

Ok, I tried to build the unit after building the huge wall and ending the turn a couple times after building it, and still no luck, also the EDB file is in the data folder and not any subfolder.

When you examine the huge stone walls in game, does it list papal guards as hirable from the structure at all?

nope, it shows nothing, its all plain vanilla stuff, even when i end the turn.

Hmmm.
    Did you try running M2TW using medieval2.exe directly as opposed to the launcher?

Alternatively, you can create a bat file to link to medieval2.exe and add onto the end of it:
    --io.file_first

Although that is really the same as the config, maybe that works better for you. For some it does.

I tried using the .exe instead of the launcher and it didnt work. you will need to tell me how to do the .bat file you are talking about.

You will need to run your medieval game exe using a shortcut or a bat file.
    The target of said file should read similar to this:

D:\Medieval\medieval2.exe --io.file_first

Where "D:\Medieval\" varies depending on your installation but medieval2.exe --io.file_first should be constant.

Wait, but I got a shortcut on my desk top. and I don't understand how I actually "make" this file, what do I click to make the file to name it "medieval2.exe --io.file_first"

Edit your shortcut.
    Its target currently is either the launcher.exe or medieval2.exe
    Change to medieval2.exe --io.file_first

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    Edit your shortcut.
    Its target currently is either the launcher.exe or medieval2.exe
    Change to medieval2.exe --io.file_first
    like this?

Err no.
    Undo what you did.
    Then right click medieval2.exe and choose create shortcut.
    Open the shortcut's properties and in the target section add
    --io.file_first
    after exe, making sure there is a space between the e and the -

like this?

Yes. Just make sure that you got 2 - (i.e. --) and that the " is put after exe instead of after first

it says the name and path are not valid.

Try removing both " then. Its just a syntax error somewhere. Play around.

i had to rename the application from medieval2.exe to medieval.exe--io.file_first will that work?

meh, nothing is working, ill come back tomorrow to see if anyone has any fresh ideas, and maybe try to figure it out after a full nights sleep.

ok people, am i gonna have to uninstall and reinstall and do the unpacker and everything over again?

in the good ol' US of A. my brothr is in the Airforce, and i am proud of what he does for his country.

ok, first thing's first. let's start from the beginning. replace all moddified files with their original backups (please tell me made a back up folder for moddified files before changing things).

let me know when you have done this.
    "Signatures tell the forum who you are. If you make jokes, you are a clown. If you leave serious quotes, you take things seriously. If you challenge the owner of the forums, you are a malcontent.

The Owners are like a government. If you make jokes, they laugh. If you make serious quotes, they keep an eye on you, while probing public opinion on your remarks. If you challenge them, you are a threat." - me on the SWG forums before they censored my sig

sigh, no, i did not make a back up folder for replacing modded files, but i did remove ALL changes i have made to the files so everything is exactly like vanilla before i even did anything, or is it still bad?

nah, vanilla is how i want it. if you haven't unpacked already, follow these steps:

goto the tools folder in your M2TW directory
    right click on unpack_all.bat
    choose Edit
    replace what's there with this line:

unpacker.exe --source=..\..\packs\*.pack --destination=..\..\backup --verbosity=1

this will unpack everything to a folder called backup in your M2TW directory. these are your back up files. do not mod these directly. instead, copy the files you want to mod and paste them into your M2TW\data folder. in this case, you're wanting to play as the Papal States. create a backup of your descr_strat.txt file, and place the files export_descr_units.txt and export_descr_buildings.txt in your M2TW\data folder.

in descr_strat, add papal_stats to playable.

right click your desktop M2TW icon, choose properties, and paste this into the area labeled Target:

"C:\Program Files\SEGAa\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" --io.file_first

in your M2TW directory, open a notepad and paste this:

[io]
    file_first = 1

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error

save and name this file: mymod.cfg

open another notepad and paste this:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

save and name this file: mymod.bat

this is a bit of redundancy meant to make sure we cover all angles and if one thing doesn't work, maybe the other will.

now, goto your export_descr_buildings.txt file and find the line:

recruitment_slots

it will be under all of the castle/city wall entries right at the beginning of the file. change this number on all city wall settings to be recruitment_slots 9 and save it. remember, you should be in your data folder, not your backup folder. you should have already copied the file from your backup to your data folder. the purpose of this is to test the mod switches.

now, run your desktop icon. tell us if it crashes. if you can start a new campaign as the Papal States, look at your recruitment queues and tell us if all 9 slots are lit up to be used. if they are, then then switch is working. if not, quit the game, goto your M2TW directory and double click mymod.bat. if this still won't run the game, let us know.

ok wait, i have already unpacked, should i still follow this?

ok just letting you know, im following the instructions right now , and it is unpacking right now. i put the code in for the unpacker like you said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast