Thread: Moving crusades

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default Moving crusades

Hello all,
    I've been housesitting for a relative with an older computer lately(that can play MTW1 ) and I seem to have forgotten a few things from my MTW days. Could someone tell me if there are any factors in determining where a crusade can move that don't affect normal armies?

I've been playing BKB's mod as the Sicilians. The pope requested crusades against the Moors, so I built one and aimed it at Algeria. For some reason my crusades ability to move either by land or sea, is extremely limited. FOr example, I'll be able to move from Naples to the Papal states, but won't even get an option to move it further north towards Venice, but I can move it to Greece(but not back to Sicily, even with waters clear of enemy ships and filled with my own).

Does any of this sound familiar? I'm trying to figure out if it's something with the mod or MTW itself.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Default Re: Moving crusades

Crusades can only move towards it's target and can only use the sea lines of the province owner. So if you're England and your crusade is in Venice (that's own by the Italians) then you can only use the Italian network and not your own.

I suspect that this is one reason on why the crusades like to go through your provinces.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Thanks. I suspected it might be something like that(the must move toward tartget part, not the uses ship lanes of province owner part).
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Also if you play in XL, Crusade routes are a bit nerfed by the lack of landbridges, to such an extent that without ships/ports etc, the shortest route from Granada to Morocco can sometimes be via Georgia! And I'm sure the AI cheats with its Crusade routes
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Glad you're enjoying MTW again, Zim.

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    And I'm sure the AI cheats with its Crusade routes
    It does. Unlike the the human player, the AI is unrestricted in terms of the path its Crusade/Jihad takes. That's why you'll sometimes see other factions' Crusades wander back and forth across your territory, repeatedly passing through the same provinces, before finally moving on to the target territory.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    It does. Unlike the the human player, the AI is unrestricted in terms of the path its Crusade/Jihad takes. That's why you'll sometimes see other factions' Crusades wander back and forth across your territory, repeatedly passing through the same provinces, before finally moving on to the target territory.
    One of the reasons the AI crusades loves to get to your provinces is that lovely trade network of yours. Moving your ships does influence how the AI moves the crusades and as the AI always moves his ships around it's possible that this behavior have a major influence on crusade movements.

That said, going to Scotland and wait until I've built a port there (well I had to ) before traveling to the holy lands can only be described as odd
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED