Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 year old shot in Liverpool

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default 11 year old shot in Liverpool

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6959562.stm

Now this is really bad. UK is going to the dogs. The kid must have been at the wrong place at the wrong time, but this is going off the edge. How derailed can you possibly be to shoot a 11 year old?

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 11 year old shot in Liverpool

Statistically there's no increase in deaths year on year.

Shoot 11 year olds in the UK, kidnap 4 year olds in Portugal... Just because the media mentions it doesn't make it that interesting.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk
    Statistically there's no increase in deaths year on year.

If he was your family member I doubt you would be so, shall we say, indifferent. Have we become so jaded?
    RIP Tosa

Blog Entries

To approach matters as if it was your own family is to get emotion into every area of life:

Imagine if all the children that starved to death or were killed per year were yours. Or those that die of easily curable infectious diseases were yours.

Or if the immigrant families were yours. You're utterly callous when referring to them, so why the holier-than-thou when talking about an 11 year old that got killed?

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Sorry, but this crime didn't happen. After handguns were banned in the UK all gun crime ended. It must have done.

In other news, did you know the Olympic Delivery Authority is having some difficulty persuading anyone to be range officers for the Olympic pistol events? Apparently people aren't willing to volunteer to officiate at events they aren't allowed to practice for. Fancy that !
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Sorry, but this crime didn't happen. After handguns were banned in the UK all gun crime ended. It must have done.

In other news, did you know the Olympic Delivery Authority is having some difficulty persuading anyone to be range officers for the Olympic pistol events? Apparently people aren't willing to volunteer to officiate at events they aren't allowed to practice for. Fancy that !
    What delicous sarcasm !

Been up late with a crying baby mate

rory_20_uk To approach matters as if it was your own family is to get emotion into every area of life:

Imagine if all the children that starved to death or were killed per year were yours. Or those that die of easily curable infectious diseases were yours.

Or if the immigrant families were yours. You're utterly callous when referring to them, so why the holier-than-thou when talking about an 11 year old that got killed?
    and this wonderful bit too !

This thread has all the fixing for a nice little pissing matching, and now Im subscribed !

Oh, the 11 year old thats a shame really, but hasnt there been a crack down on gangs in liverpool recently? I swear I read this somewhere.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

To approach matters as if it was your own family is to get emotion into every area of life:

Because, in general you and many others do the same thing about numerous other topics here and now your doing a reversal. Do I care that this kid got plugged by some punk on the other side of the ocean? Not really, but ususally your and your buds over there are always so "outraged" by whatever flavor of violence happens over here. Why are you so blaise about this episode? Besides, i thought there was no crime over there since you guys have made everything safe since keeping firearms from the masses?
    RIP Tosa

Blog Entries

Any evidence with that or does your rage provide all the evidence we need?

Any evidence with that or does your rage provide all the evidence we need?

Let me channel Tribesman for my answer.... yes....
    RIP Tosa

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Well, if Dave is guilty of caring too much, and Rory of not caring enough, I know which side I'd rather err on.

It must be great to be so cool that you shrug off a child getting murdered and laugh at the people that it does bother. Personally, I'm not sure I'll ever be that cool.

Seriously, Rory, are you doing your best at your routine, or do you really not care that an 11year old got blown away for no good reason? If it's the latter, laugh at emotion all you want... no emotion isn't all that healthy either.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 08-24-2007 at 07:57.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    Let me channel Tribesman for my answer.... yes....
    You forgot the smileys.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Blog Entries

How many dear, precious children die each day? A few thousand? Probably more. And what do we do about it? Sod all. So if it makes you feel good that you are oh so caring at writing a few lines about a dead child then bully for you

He died. It's unfortunate. Life goes on. Today at work my boss told a mother that the surgeons wouldn't operate on her child - although that's the only chance he's got. A fairly usual day, then. Yes, I see and have seen a lot more death than most, as that's my job.

I care deeply about my family and my friends. But that's it. It's called professional detachment, and yes one does look at the world differently. Pretend to care about the occasional sob stories that reach the news, but basically neither of us does anything to stem death in this world, and I for one don't want to be a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    You forgot the smileys.
    You're right, thanks...
    RIP Tosa

How many dear, precious children die each day? A few thousand? Probably more. And what do we do about it? Sod all. So if it makes you feel good that you are oh so caring at writing a few lines about a dead child then bully for you

He died. It's unfortunate. Life goes on. Today at work my boss told a mother that the surgeons wouldn't operate on her child - although that's the only chance he's got. A fairly usual day, then. Yes, I see and have seen a lot more death than most, as that's my job.

I care deeply about my family and my friends. But that's it. It's called professional detachment, and yes one does look at the world differently. Pretend to care about the occasional sob stories that reach the news, but basically neither of us does anything to stem death in this world, and I for one don't want to be a hypocrite.

The issue is not who dies or who doesn't die, and whether we care or not. This is about the increase in violent crime, stabbing, gun crime, anti social behaviour and street crime in general. If you can't see that this is happening, and getting worse, then I can only assume that you live in a nice part of London travel everywhere in a car and thus don't have to worry about it. In which case you're quite lucky.

As for the issue regarding... "caring "(or whatever it is to be called contextually) Rory seems spot on in the reasoning he communicates.

Where are peoples' bleeding hearts for the continued injustice that has been occurring everyday in many parts of the globe and even on large scales?
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Blog Entries

The number of deaths due to guns per year isn't rising. I stated that in my first post. Stabbing, now that might be getting slightly worse, I've not looked up the figures.

What is soaring is people's perception of crime. Often this bares no connection with reality.

Oh, I don't have a car. I either get a bus or ride a bike. I live in a seemingly reasonable part of london, but yes I do hope when I'm older to be able to live in a nice ghetto until such time that politicians manage to sort things out.

I actually thought something similar than Rory. Hundreds of children starve every day and noone cares, then some day we get a single kid killed somewhat closer to ourselves and that's a big tragedy all of a sudden.

It most likely is for the family of the kid, the friends and maybe the whole village, but if I cried for every dead person in the world, I could never ever stop. The sad thing is that today we have the media which wants us to know such things and wants us to care, 200 years ago I wouldn't even know that this child had died and would likely never get to know about it either.

I know that sounds hard to some, it even sounds hard to myself, but it's reality and humans aren't made to care about everything. Remember the monkeysphere...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

I don't really agree. When I see a headline like this, it's more personalized. '11 year old shot...' automatically conjures up images of children I know personally being shot, like my eight year old niece or something. When I hear '200,000 children in the Congo killed slaughtered' I'd usually think, 'God, can't believe some bastards out there could do that.'

I won't be sending flowers or money to the family or anything, I'm not saying I have a bleeding heart or am particularly compassionate, but when all you know is that it was one particular child age 11, you can relate to that easily if you've ever met an 11 year old. Maybe Husar and Rory are just much more logical than me (pretty certain that's true), but the individual circumstances are what makes these things stand out a little bit over massive, anonymous amounts of death.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, considering you're on a island, the whole gun banning thing may not be working out if a punk teenager can get a gun to do a ride by on some 11 year old kid.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    You know, considering you're on a island, the whole gun banning thing may not be working out if a punk teenager can get a gun to do a ride by on some 11 year old kid.

CR
    It's working exactly as planned. The teenager is alive and well. A year in the pokey, and he's back out hunting for another kid. But nobody is daring to defend themselves or their families over there.

Strike for the South

I have to admit when I first subscribed to this thread the tone was amusing, its gone down hill to the point where my venumous tone wont hurt it anymore.

Lets assume for a minute there is this "gods will" bit, or that one of these religions has it right and there is a rewarding after life.

Isnt this kid, and all of those who died today better off anyway? I mean dosent paradise await? Or is there some criteria I missed in the mythos where a random death at the hands of another dosent qualify you for the promised land?

The heartbreak expressed is touching, but in all candeor any one of you could die tomorrow. I would wonder what the hell happened but my life wouldnt change much, would yours? (be honest)

These ridiculous notions of "caring" for those you dont know is simply foder for poking the otherside with a pointed stick. Its easy to come out swinging with the "why dont you care that an 11 year old died" or "are you going to cry for every person that dies". Simple positions really and in my opinion none really founded in true belief, simply bluster.

Of course a part of you cares, on some level I mean why even have a thread and post about it if you didnt, no matter your position? I am going to sleep well tonight and I suspect lots more kids will die while Im sleeping.

Do I want them dead? No, but the lesson here isnt "why" or "how" the lesson is one of appreciation of what you have now because it can be fleeting. Im sure that kid and his family werent that much different from ours.

I think I'll look in on my son before bed, hopefully my org friends will take a moment to climb down off thier mountains and look in on thier kids too.

Who knows yours could be shot tomorrow, apparantly it dosent matter where you live does it?

But dont worry, if they are you can rest assured that you will recieve plenty of genuine empathy from the screen names here on the org that you percieve really cares, or maybe your kid will be another statistic too?

There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Blog Entries

I can see the stances from where both parties look at this. An 11 year old dies, its awful and horrible, yes...yes it is. I wish it was me who could have taken the bullet instead and spared the young boy his life. However... having that said, this argument is at an impasse simply because ignorance of life is an undeniable element of the human psyche. Horrible. Horrible things happen all the time all over the world. What of them? Do you really spend your time lamenting them? Because if you do, you are one hell of a depressing person and I wouldn't want to be around you. Do you who mourn the loss of this child, fear at every wake what could happen to you (and possibly your children) at any moment? Or do you take life's individualistic challenges one day at a time and deal with them as they come? I know for a fact that if my daughters or my wife were killed irregardless of the circumstances I would be a broken soul, I would die with them. But I don't expect the rest of the world to care, or to mourn that loss, that is my loss and I don't want one else but me or my immediate friends to share the burdon because **** happens all the time (I mean honestly how many of you are going to take this personal or for that matter remember it in a month from now?). The world is cold, hard, and cruel; and Life's woes shouldn't have to happen to anyone but it does and it always will. But, if you can look past all the bad; The simple rewards that happen to you on a day to day basis from scoring an A on a test, or getting a "that' a boy" at your job, or seeing your six month walk for the first time reinforces the opinion that you should love every little good thing that happens to you, because you never know what might happen eventually... like somebody you hold dear could die from a someone that didn't care enough.

For being such a Mean Bastard; Stalin did say something that rings true in this case.

"A Single Death is a Tragedy; a Million Deaths is a statistic"
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 08-24-2007 at 04:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    Do I want them dead? No, but the lesson here isnt "why" or "how" the lesson is one of appreciation of what you have now because it can be fleeting. Im sure that kid and his family werent that much different from ours.

I think I'll look in on my son before bed, hopefully my org friends will take a moment to climb down off thier mountains and look in on thier kids too.

Who knows yours could be shot tomorrow, apparantly it dosent matter where you live does it?

But dont worry, if they are you can rest assured that you will recieve plenty of genuine empathy from the screen names here on the org that you percieve really cares, or maybe your kid will be another statistic too?

Well, for me internet friends can become friends like my other friends as well, which means I'm actually interested in their lives(they enter my monkeysphere) and maybe even the lives of their relatives(Whacker may come in and say that isn't true ).
    The problem is I cannot really force myself to feel anything even if I wanted to. Sometimes I'm a bit ashamed of that myself(see the Whacker thing above) but it's the way I am. Like Wakizashi said, if you care too much, you become depressive and I might have been a bit depressive in recent years so 'I actually tried to stop caring too much about certain things. Makes me happier, healthier and means you won't have to read about my suicide in the news, not that I actually considered that, but a lot of sad people don't make the world a better place either.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    I don't really agree. When I see a headline like this, it's more personalized. '11 year old shot...' automatically conjures up images of children I know personally being shot, like my eight year old niece or something. When I hear '200,000 children in the Congo killed slaughtered' I'd usually think, 'God, can't believe some bastards out there could do that.'

I won't be sending flowers or money to the family or anything, I'm not saying I have a bleeding heart or am particularly compassionate, but when all you know is that it was one particular child age 11, you can relate to that easily if you've ever met an 11 year old. Maybe Husar and Rory are just much more logical than me (pretty certain that's true), but the individual circumstances are what makes these things stand out a little bit over massive, anonymous amounts of death.
    I can understand that, thinking about someone close to you raises your feelings, works if I imagine I were that child or someone close to it, but in reality I am not.
    Maybe that old Stalin quote applies: "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic"
    Might actually have to do with our brain, the monkeysphere and the fact that we cannot really grasp the size of some things, focusing seems to be more a human strength.

CR
    You know, if everybody around that kid had a gun, they probably couldn't have shot back before the third shot was fired, we just might have ended up with more dead people. The teenager might be a murderer but that doesn't mean he deserves death himself. Once he realises what he has done(and sits in a dark cell to think about it for a long time), that should punish him quite a lot already.

It's working exactly as planned. The teenager is alive and well. A year in the pokey, and he's back out hunting for another kid. But nobody is daring to defend themselves or their families over there.
    Like I said, guns can't always prevent a surprise attack, otherwise soldiers wouldn't die in Iraq. I hope you're wrong about the year though, it's way too long short.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

I think that the rarity of such events in the UK tells us that not having guns works....that´s precisely why this is such a big news....it´s rare...

how many times has something like this happened in the US over the last few years?..does it even make the news in a significant way anymore?...

I know one thing for sure....no one ever walked into a school or university in my country and started shooting people....of course over here it would be very very hard to get your hands on a gun to do such a thing....now isn´t that a crazy coincidence?

as for the other subject that has been raised here.......of course I agree that what happened to this kid is bad and shouldn´t have happened....but I´m not emotionally invested in the situation as to be emotional about this....come on...how emotional can you be about someone you didn´t know was alive before seeing the news?
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Well, for me internet friends can become friends like my other friends as well, which means I'm actually interested in their lives(they enter my monkeysphere) and maybe even the lives of their relatives(Whacker may come in and say that isn't true ).
    The problem is I cannot really force myself to feel anything even if I wanted to. Sometimes I'm a bit ashamed of that myself(see the Whacker thing above) but it's the way I am. Like Wakizashi said, if you care too much, you become depressive and I might have been a bit depressive in recent years so 'I actually tried to stop caring too much about certain things. Makes me happier, healthier and means you won't have to read about my suicide in the news, not that I actually considered that, but a lot of sad people don't make the world a better place either.
    Thats cool Husar, my post last night was after a scotch or two and to be blunt I found the commentary in the thread to be less then genuine and more banter to create some morbid debate on childrens death.

I understand your point though and I agree to an extent but for those who dont feel anything or cant have certainly devoted portions of thier life to particpating in a discussion here which seems paradoxial to me, and yes, less then genuine.

However Husar, if in fact you didnt show up for a few weeks and were no where to be found, I would most likely send you a PM just to see what was going on.

Just dont come to american kabish ?

Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Like I said, guns can't always prevent a surprise attack, otherwise soldiers wouldn't die in Iraq.
    That's got to be rubbish. Iraq is floating with guns, so it has to be a safe place to live. I'm very sure that only criminals and baddies(and gungrabbing wussies) get killed there.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

I havent read more than a few posts at the top of this thread so im gonna stick this in here and run (threads tend to run in a very predictable manor when it comes to gun crime)

there have been 58 gun related homicides in the entire of the UK over this year (compared to 49 last year)

in Los Angleles alone there has been 496 homicides (to the end of July) with guns being used in more than 4/5ths (i cant get an exact number of been trying).
    thats 396 (rounded down).

we are seeing a rise in gun crime here in the UK but they are a statisticaly small (minute i would say) number.

Anyone using the current cases to advocate gun control doesnt work is crazy.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, if everybody around that kid had a gun, they probably couldn't have shot back before the third shot was fired, we just might have ended up with more dead people. The teenager might be a murderer but that doesn't mean he deserves death himself. Once he realises what he has done(and sits in a dark cell to think about it for a long time), that should punish him quite a lot already.
    So, we shouldn't use guns to defend ourselves, because we might do so effectively, and therefore kill this murderer?

Anyone using the current cases to advocate gun control doesnt work is crazy.
    Wow, that's a great argument. So you're saying that the aim of gun control is not to prevent incidents like this? Because if it is, it seems pretty obvious it's not doing much.

Unless of course, the whole aim was for punk gangs to be able to show off guns they own:
    http://www.breitbart.tv/html/4803.html

Also, FYI California has some pretty strict gun laws compared to the rest of America.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Wow, that's a great argument. So you're saying that the aim of gun control is not to prevent incidents like this? Because if it is, it seems pretty obvious it's not doing much.
    58 gun killings accross the entire country - its working just fine

Also, FYI California has some pretty strict gun laws compared to the rest of America.
    While the laws are strict the guns are availble and sold - the UK is a complete ban on handguns - they cant be sold and they cant be owned

Preventing incidents like this is impossible as long as guns exist in the world. The point of gun control is to MINIMIZE these incidents. And it's doing that wonderfully. 58 deaths a year according to sir moody, with a population of 60-70(?) million, that's nothing. Absolutely nothing.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast