Thread: Help!Trapped by my ally!

Default Help!Trapped by my ally!

Right, so i am playing as carthage and have allied with the greeks of syracuse to defend against the hated romans.

I take messana on turn 2 crushing the Scipii faction leader and killing him in the process. The romans band together and send Armies from Both brutii and Scipii. They land off the coast of syracuse so naturally I come to the aid of my Allies.

The battle was glorious as carthagian and Greek stood fought side by side until they were knee deep in roman blood.

However after the battle I found I couldn't move my armies away from the syracusan walls. It seems I need military access or else I cannot move out of his zone of control! No matter what I offer, he denies it to me. We were just in a pitched battle for our lives together and now he is about to stupidly force me to attack him thereby destroying our alliance and weakening us both. The Romans must be salivating as we speak!

What can I do to coax him into giving me military access? It seems a silly end to a great story, so much so that I would be willing to use a cheat code just so I can move my troops out of the way and keep the storyline logical.

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Default Re: Help!Trapped by my ally!

Quote Originally Posted by KidFury
    Right, so i am playing as carthage and have allied with the greeks of syracuse to defend against the hated romans.

I take messana on turn 2 crushing the Scipii faction leader and killing him in the process. The romans band together and send Armies from Both brutii and Scipii. They land off the coast of syracuse so naturally I come to the aid of my Allies.

The battle was glorious as carthagian and Greek stood fought side by side until they were knee deep in roman blood.

However after the battle I found I couldn't move my armies away from the syracusan walls. It seems I need military access or else I cannot move out of his zone of control! No matter what I offer, he denies it to me. We were just in a pitched battle for our lives together and now he is about to stupidly force me to attack him thereby destroying our alliance and weakening us both. The Romans must be salivating as we speak!

What can I do to coax him into giving me military access? It seems a silly end to a great story, so much so that I would be willing to use a cheat code just so I can move my troops out of the way and keep the storyline logical.
    Actually, to answer your question: nothing. Your scenario with the Syracusans is a pretty common experience. I've had many a battle where, as Carthage, I got Greek help taking on the Romans. I've even gotten support from their navy guarding my ports and shooing away Roman fleets. But I've NEVER been able to secure military access from a faction as a non-Roman ally, unless I suborned the ally as a protectorate. In that case, the ally has surrendered their sovereignty to you. If your diplomat has the option showing in his negotiation with Greece, you could try offering them protectorate status. But I doubt they will accept this early in the game when they still have six provinces showing.

Perhaps some Guild veteran has had an experience where he was able to negotiate for military access. But I have never been able to do so. I have found that alliances in RTW, themselves, are very temporary arrangements. My longest standing alliance that I can recall was when I took Carthage and I allied with Greece.

Your alliance with Greece will end eventually. If you allow them to stay in Syracuse they will eventually get suspicious of you and attack. I've usually waited until the Romans took Syracuse before allying with Greece. The alliance then lasts a little longer and won't end until you take Apollonia. As soon as the Carthaginians get close to the Greek mainland area, the Greeks get nervous and terminate the alliance. Or, they'll simply stab you in the back. And this has happened to me after I've given them extensive cash gifts. Being nice doesn't help. But it's probably true to life diplomacy.

Some Guild member might be able to testify differently, but I have never seen any alliance remain intact through a game. I think the only way one could is if you never gain a province that actually touches adjacent to your ally. Then, your alliance might 'keep.' The AI in RTW just doesn't know loyalty.

Protectorate status may be the only way a non-Roman faction can gain military access from another faction. One thing I can testify to - once you are at war with the Romans - the war will never end until you eliminate all the roman factions. You may be able to negotiate cease fires. But they are usually worthless. The Romans treachereously break them. They are relentless enemies.

Enjoy!
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Is your army stuck between Syracuse and the mediterranean? I've encountered situations like that before, where an army of mine ended up stuck in a corner it couldn't get out of. If you can move a ship to any spot adjacent to your army you might be able to get them out by sea.

Alternatively, if there's no general in the army you could disband it, if you were willing to do so.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Hey, I'VE managed to keep an alliance most of the game!

Although, it was the Scythians, when I was Scipii. And they started the alliance when I was still destroying Carthage.

They're on the other side of the map. They wouldn't even have a chance to betray you.

This is why I prefer Multiplayer campaigns (and why I'm doing two right now). The AI is just plain stupid.

Well let me clarify a bit. Of course I know that any alliance in this game is doomed. I just feel that it is a stupid way to end an alliance. My army is stuck in the red zone of the city of syracuse. I cannot get it out even by boat because I cannot move at all. It's not that I am surrounded, I just get the message that since I am in a enemy zone of influence, I cannot move unless I give battle.

This means that the only option I have is to siege the city I just rescued from the evil romans!

As this seems to be a slight glitch, then i think none would think less of you for using the `move character` command in Romeshell to extricate yourself from this situation.
    The Bad Sleep Well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kings Hand
    As this seems to be a slight glitch, then i think none would think less of you for using the `move character` command in Romeshell to extricate yourself from this situation.
    Although this is only possible if your army is under the command of a General, is it or is it not?

As far as i know its only for named characters, so if your army is commanded by a captain its back to square one. I have only used it when i got a large map for m2tw and the mongols arrived in the middle of the adratic, they were all named chars, i think u may be out of luck with captains tho.
    The Bad Sleep Well.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

have you tried just waiting 1 turn and then trying to move your army?
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs
    Usually that does work when for example you have been moving your army through FOW and a rebel army is on your roads so therefore you get the message "blocked" and you cant move but you can next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs
    d'oH!!! Actually, no... I will see tonite

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldendunner
    Usually that does work when for example you have been moving your army through FOW and a rebel army is on your roads so therefore you get the message "blocked" and you cant move but you can next turn.
    KF -

I just wanted to second that suggestion from goldendunner. You're unit is just suffering from 'in turn' paralysis which happens when your unit tries to move through an adjacent zone of control of another unit. You should be able to move your unit on the next turn.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40