Thread: How better use the camps (castrums), how to destroy the watch towers?

Default How better use the camps (castrums), how to destroy the watch towers?

Hi,

I have one following quetions.

A)
    I try to build the camp before each expected battle (as in the history), I set the army in front of the camp on the strategic map and wait in order to provoke an attack of my enemy. But if I loose the battle my remainig units never hide into the camp but run long way form the camp.

I think it would be more clever and more accurate to history to fall back into the camp after lossed battle and defend own position right there and maybe then fall back from the camp.

B)
    How can I destroy the watch tower? It sometimes stand so stupid , that I cant place then the camp on much better strategic position .
    My name is Pius, Pius 007 Curus

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: How better use the camps (castrums), how to destroy the watch towers?

In both cases these are engine issues that we have no control over. I suggest you think of the forts not as night-camps but as auxillary garrisons to be placed at strategic points.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Default Re: How better use the camps (castrums), how to destroy the watch towers?

Shame really because at present I'm reading Livy (from the start, and am now on the second Macedonian war). I know he's not amazingly accurate but camps and the despoiling of defeated armies' camps are a regular feature.

Perhaps winning battle could raise some money to reflect this?

Camps are the s*** man. I used them EXTENSIVELY to plug holes on the map into my lands and leave only one open area into my lands so the AI sends its armies there.

I also use forts to delay the AI's attack, that way I have a few turns to train new troops, transport them, and hire a few mercs before they take my city/s.

I also use forts along borders with neutral/allied factions IN CASE they decide to attack me. Again buying me time to train troops.

Besides, all empires had forts along thier borders to regulate who came in and who came out. They also served as initial defence or as a delaying force until reinforcements arrived.

again, forts are AWESOME!

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pius Curus
    How can I destroy the watch tower? It sometimes stand so stupid , that I cant place then the camp on much better strategic position .
    I'm with you on this, I really wish I could destroy watchtowers. Or something like, when a province changes hands, all watchtowers go away.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSpartan
    Camps are the s*** man. I used them EXTENSIVELY to plug holes on the map into my lands and leave only one open area into my lands so the AI sends its armies there.

I also use forts to delay the AI's attack, that way I have a few turns to train new troops, transport them, and hire a few mercs before they take my city/s.

I also use forts along borders with neutral/allied factions IN CASE they decide to attack me. Again buying me time to train troops.

Besides, all empires had forts along thier borders to regulate who came in and who came out. They also served as initial defence or as a delaying force until reinforcements arrived.

again, forts are AWESOME!
    You know, I was wondering how some of you play the campaign map as far as securing your borders go. Whether or not you use a system of forts and watchtowers or just a mobile army to deal with border incursions. I tend to do the latter as I am far too lazy to build forts, of course this is supported with watchtowers.

I usually move and assemble all my troops, during winter, near to the border of the enemy city I am planning to attack and then build a fort. Maybe it's just a coincidence but sometimes, characters did not loose their Well supplied trait allowing me to better cope with winter penalties.

Anyways, it's just a way to save time and distance and make the most of my 3 "un-winter" seasons.
    By the way, would it be possible to make each year lasts 8 turns and each seasons 2 turns ?? Would make the game even slower which would be cool I think

If this is possible and someone does know how to mod just let me know
    Proving the others wrong does not prove you right.

Being against war is an evidence in itself but peace is nothing but an absence of wars.

If capitalism, and all its vices, is the best humanity can do with its energies when at peace, it might as well start fighting again...

It is said that the people during the Middle Ages when uneducated, gross, naive, fearful of the unknow and uncaring for all but their little pleasures, with the exception of some elites. I can assure you it haven't change to this day.

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Staks
    You know, I was wondering how some of you play the campaign map as far as securing your borders go. Whether or not you use a system of forts and watchtowers or just a mobile army to deal with border incursions. I tend to do the latter as I am far too lazy to build forts, of course this is supported with watchtowers.
    it mainly depends on the area you want to secure, a fort to block a mountain pass, an army on a bridge, or a mobile force to scout a large peice of land (sahara anyone ?), watchtowers to clear the FOW in some areas (your own territory, your neighbour's, or even the sea)

btw, if there's a way to get rid of watchtowers (I thinking about the AI's ill-placed ones) I'm buying !

I agree, I like placing towers so that I can see everything that I own (with the exception of random desert stretches. I have found several places that I will place a tower whenever I own an area (such as the southeast corner of Kilikia). AI placement of towers mess up my plans for towers and forts too many times.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: How better use the camps (castrums), how to destroy the watch towers?

I always secure passes and fords on my borders with castles, and set up watchtowers everywhere so I can see everything inside my empire and beyond!

The AI is so dumb, often it builds towers right next to their cities.

The AI seems programmed to only build towers along their borders, and only when the border is with someone hostile.
    Which can be a hint to you. If you have been at peace with and AI faction for a long time and they start building towers along your shared border, it means that they don't like you anymore. They'll also start sending spies against you.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 08-23-2007 at 22:01.

[quote=MarcusAureliusAntoninus]The AI seems programmed to only build towers along their borders, and only when the border is with someone hostile.
    Which can be a hint to you. If you have been at peace with and AI faction for a long time and they start building towers along your shared border, it means that they don't like you anymore.quote]

Thanks that's some useful info i did not know that