Thread: How do units gain honor?

Sorry if I appear to be asking a newbie question again, but how do units gain honor?

It seems that the more clever I am with my troops, ie running a mass of YS into the meaty rears of Takeda's horses, the less likely I am to raise their honor. Only when there has been a veritable bloodbath will I get shatter remnants with high honor, fat use they are.

In any case I tend to get stuck with their honors. The highest I ever got was a No Dachi with honor 5, and that was after I combined troops from as many as 6 different units. Guess what, I lost that high honor unit as a fighting force again after 2 battles.

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

Your units gain honor through killing other units and then in turn not getting themselves all killed. Points are awarded based on set numbers of kills that the limit thereof doubles every time you achieve more honor points.
    In other words, you have a unit of Honor 0 monks, they kill off another unit entirely, let's say they get 60 kills, then their honor will go up to 1. Next fight they kill twice as many enemy units, then their honor goes up to 2, and so on.
    The requirements for each advance in honor points doubles each time. Honor 9 units, that weren't bought that way in Multiplayer, are very rare. If your units survive that long, then they are truly awesome on the field of battle, Often inspiring your enemy to run at first sight of them. Save's time too.
    The Daimyo/Taisho honor and rank affects the Honor of the units who are in his army (by increasing or nullifying), without needing to have your fresh new units go through all that fighting to do it. The downside of that is that if the leader is killed in battle, then the subordinates lose their bonus to their honor and are likely to rout if it's that big of a factor.
    All of these numerical factors play a huge part in how it all plays out either way.

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

ah ha! cheers, Daimyo! I thought it was more esoteric than that. =/

(grrrrrrr...Now i've lost the whole "Mystique" about honor now. pffffft)

LOL

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Major.. remember, it was a ritual to study the heads of the renowned dead after a battle. You proved your value as a samurai in battle by taking heads and DIShonoring your foe.

In my experience archers seem most likely to garner high honors. Less likely to
    get into HtH.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Also, it does seem to track honor by individual soldier, and the number displayed on the icon is the average of all soldiers in that unit. This is why you sometimes will have a shattered remnant join another fragment, and the honor jumps up or down.

Also, I think the expansion has dojo's to train already-created troops. I don't know if this improves honor directly, or just other variables.

-- B)

[This message has been edited by BanzaiZAP (edited 04-21-2001).]

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

thats a good point lot a your diamo after a big battle honour 8, but usually 7 of the gang are killed so when they get re freshed by new body guards the honour evens and averages out.

thats what i think at least

have a mega good general like level four or five and sent him to the trouble spots on the map of japan, thats what i do

probably a load a rubish what i just said
    ------------------
    I will beat ya on green and totomi but i am afraid of heights so no hill campers plz

[This message has been edited by LordTed (edited 04-23-2001).]

Is it true that if a unit kills off enough or makes enough enemies run, it can actually gain honour during the battle, making them well-hard by the end of the massacre?

------------------
    TIGER LILY!!!
    check it out for yourself at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.surman/frames.html
    TIGER LILY!!!
    check it out for yourself at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.surman/frames.html

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Yes Lei,I've noticed that upgrade in honor during a battle.Usually happens to an archer unit,but I've seen it happen to Yari Cav,Monks,and No-Dachi too.Sometimes there aren't too many survivors left in the meelee or cav units though.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Check the logfiles guys, you can see the advancements all there. I think unit honour( without the gen bonus) is an average of all the chaps honor. If find one of the problems with honor is the fact that the guys who do a lot of the killing die keeping the honor the same.

One note, guys: Rank is also by halves. If you have a rank two general, the honor of his army goes up one. Rank four, two, rank six, three, and so on. Plus, rank is the square root of the battles won (except when you're talking about heirs and daimyos). So once you get into the higher ranks, it gets less and less useful to try to up the rank.
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

Hmmm...

Thanks Daimer, that's actually quite helpful info! Because I was always wondering how it worked. I would find many battles with many units under the same general, and then find that none of them gained any honour, except one or two, and I could not figure it out. Thanks for clearing it up! WOOHOO FOR NEWBIES!

------------------
    Honour And Pride
    --Bodhiharma Daidoji
    Honour And Pride
    --Bodhiharma Daidoji