Thread: Switching Skins

Default Switching Skins

I've decided that however realistic the Greek Cities Hoplitai studded leather armor may be, I simply cannot stand the look of it. So, I was wondering if perhaps I could exchange the skin of the Greek Cities Hoplitai with that of the Eluetheroi (sp?) ones? IIRC those are the ones with the linothorax and the shield with the cup or chalice on it.

If anyone could help me with this it would be awesome, I searched through the RTW modding forums but couldn't find what I am looking for.

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

Default Re: Switching Skins

Quote Originally Posted by Griever14206
    I've decided that however realistic the Greek Cities Hoplitai studded leather armor may be, I simply cannot stand the look of it. So, I was wondering if perhaps I could exchange the skin of the Greek Cities Hoplitai with that of the Eluetheroi (sp?) ones? IIRC those are the ones with the linothorax and the shield with the cup or chalice on it.

If anyone could help me with this it would be awesome, I searched through the RTW modding forums but couldn't find what I am looking for.
    Open the DMB file (RTW\EB\Data\descr_model_battle.txt) with notepad. Choose the "Edit" option from the menu and then "Find". Keyword is "hoplitai"
    The entry should look like this:

Code:
    ; Hellenistic infantry - Hoplitai / Hoplitai Hellenikoi -------> MISSING MED/LOW/LOWEST

type				hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_hellenikoi
    skeleton			fs_o_f_spearman						    ; combat spear
    indiv_range			40
    texture				thrace, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_thrace.tga
    texture				greek_cities, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_greek.tga
    texture				macedon, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_macedon.tga
    texture				romans_julii, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_hellenistic.tga
    texture				romans_brutii, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_hellenistic.tga
    texture				numidia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_hellenistic.tga
    texture				germans, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_hellenistic.tga
    texture				gauls, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				scythia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				spain, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				britons, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				dacia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				egypt, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				seleucid, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				carthage, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_blacksea_sor&het_carthage.tga
    texture				romans_scipii, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_blacksea_sor&het_carthage.tga
    texture				armenia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				parthia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				saba, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_regional.tga
    texture				pontus, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_hellenikoi_sor_pontus.tga
    texture				slave, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_slave.tga
    texture				merc, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_merc.tga
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_hoplitai_hellenikoi_sor_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_hoplitai_hellenikoi_sor_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_hoplitai_hellenikoi_sor_low.cas, 40
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_hoplitai_hellenikoi_sor_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite		thrace, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_thrace.spr
    model_sprite		greek_cities, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_greek.spr
    model_sprite		macedon, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_macedon.spr
    model_sprite		romans_julii, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_successor.spr
    model_sprite		romans_brutii, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_successor.spr
    model_sprite		numidia, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_successor.spr
    model_sprite		gauls, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		scythia, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		spain, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		britons, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		germans, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		dacia, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		egypt, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		seleucid, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		carthage, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		romans_scipii, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		armenia, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		parthia, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		saba, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		slave, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_slave.spr
    model_sprite		merc, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_merc.spr
    model_sprite		pontus, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_hellenikoi_all.spr
    model_tri			400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f
    Now. Copy the texture and mode_sprite entries from the slave faction after the entry for greek_cities, so that the lines look like this:

Code:
    texture				greek_cities, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_sor_slave.tga
    and like this

Code:
    model_sprite		greek_cities, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_slave.spr
    Save the DMB file and exit. Restart EB and you should now be using the skins of the Slave faction for your Classical Hoplites. If it was another unit you were referring to, the same principle applies.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

I'm a fan of the Mercenary(or is it Roman?) That has the Helmet on the shield,
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Thank you for this thread. I changed the textures of some Greek units (f.e. make them walking barefoot ) and exchanged also the Epirote slingers texture with that of the rebel ones (because it is not the best choice to have a broad petasos on your head when you have to use a sling), but the hats appear still as a black matrix. I presume, the reason is that I did not change the sprites too?
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Quote Originally Posted by geala
    Thank you for this thread. I changed the textures of some Greek units (f.e. make them walking barefoot ) and exchanged also the Epirote slingers texture with that of the rebel ones (because it is not the best choice to have a broad petasos on your head when you have to use a sling), but the hats appear still as a black matrix. I presume, the reason is that I did not change the sprites too?
    Yes. Sometimes the sprites are defined as something along the line ebspriteunitnameall. When that ending for the sprite applies you can settle for changing the textures only. It will work fine regardless.

However most EB unit models are shared by several unit types, often by different cultures. In those instances the sprites for the specific textures are unique. And must be changed along with the textures. In battle, if the model looks messed up after a skin change, incorrect sprites or other model data is at fault.

Wait, would switching skins of Greek bodyguard with something else, maybe Seleucid Hypatists or Baktrion Agema be as easy, or would I have to change the whole unit

Because I don't like how my Rhodian, Athenian or Kretans have a spartan bodyguard.
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    Wait, would switching skins of Greek bodyguard with something else, maybe Seleucid Hypatists or Baktrion Agema be as easy, or would I have to change the whole unit

Because I don't like how my Rhodian, Athenian or Kretans have a spartan bodyguard.
    You would have to change the whole model. The DMB (descr_model_battle) determines what type of unit your dealing with. I'll explain by example:

Code:
    ; Hellenistic infantry - Hypaspistai / Massiloi Hoplitai

type				hellenistic_infantry_hypaspistai_massiloi_hoplitai
    skeleton			fs_swordsman_barb_slash, fs_o_f_spearman			;1: fs_1h_axeman ; combat spear
    indiv_range			40
    texture				macedon, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hypaspistai_agart_macedon.tga
    texture				romans_julii, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hypaspistai_agart_julii.tga
    texture				thrace, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hypaspistai_antiochus_epiphanes_thrace.tga
    texture				slave, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_forgus_regional.tga
    texture				greek_cities, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_forgus_regional.tga
    texture				scythia, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_forgus_regional.tga
    texture				gauls, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_forgus_regional.tga
    texture				merc, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_forgus_regional.tga
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_hypaspistai_agart_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_hypaspistai_agart_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_hypaspistai_agart_low.cas, 40
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_hypaspistai_agart_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite		romans_julii, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/greek/ebsprite_greek_infantry_hypaspistai_julii.spr
    model_sprite		macedon, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/greek/ebsprite_greek_infantry_hypaspistai_all.spr
    model_sprite		thrace, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/greek/ebsprite_greek_infantry_hypaspistai_all.spr
    model_sprite		slave, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		greek_cities, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		scythia, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		gauls, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		merc, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_all.spr
    Code:
    ; Hellenistic infantry - Hoplitai Spartiates 

type				hellenistic_infantry_spartiateshoplitai
    skeleton			fs_o_f_spearman 				;combat spear
    indiv_range			40
    texture				greek_cities, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_spartan_hoplite_spw_greek.tga
    texture				egypt, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_spartan_hoplite_spw_greek.tga
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_spartan_hoplite_spw_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_spartan_hoplite_spw_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_spartan_hoplite_spw_low.cas, 40
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_spartan_hoplite_spw_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite		greek_cities, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_spartiateshoplitai_all.spr
    model_sprite		egypt, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_spartiateshoplitai_all.spr
    The first code is that of the Hypaspistai, a model that is shared by the Massilian Hoplites. The second is the spartan one. First problem we run into is that without the proper software (3DsMAX) we can't go randomly changing the skins without corresponding sprites. If you do you get very ugly clipping on the battlefield, or worse a CTD.

The second problem is the animation model. The Hypaspistai have two weapons. The celtic longsword and the combat spear of the traditional hoplites. The spartan only have the combat spear. Since the hypaspistai model says the sword is the primary weapon you could never turn them into a hoplite unit. There is no way without 3DsMAX to change the weapons. Even to make an already existing secondary weapon into the primary. I know, I've tried... a lot.

The two models are in no way interchangable. Not without the proper tool to make changes. Basic changing of skins and sprites can be done if the models are similar enough. Unfortunately in this case they aren't. Sorry.

Well what would the code be to switch the whole unit, name and everything with another unit?

~Fluvius

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    Well what would the code be to switch the whole unit, name and everything with another unit?
    First make backups of your EDU and DMB. Then open your EDU and find the entry for greek infantry greek general. In my EDU it looks like this, but since I'm playing with the internal version it won't look anything like yours. What's important is the correct entry:

Code:
    ;435
    type             greek infantry greek general
    dictionary       greek_infantry_greek_general      ; Greek General's Bodyguard
    category         infantry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       General_1
    soldier          hellenistic_infantry_epikletoi_hoplitai, 20, 0, 1.22
    officer          ebofficer_hellenic_standardbearer
    mount_effect     elephant -1
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, general_unit
    formation        0.76, 1.2, 1.6, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 0
    stat_pri         16, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 0 ,0.13
    stat_pri_attr    light_spear
    stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 0 ,0.1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  14, 10, 4, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        5
    stat_ground      0, 0, -3, -2
    stat_mental      16, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 2077, 0, 60, 504, 2077
    ownership        greek_cities
    Now search for the entry for the Hypaspistai and copy the following lines from it.

Code:
    stat_pri         11, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 0 ,0.225
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         16, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 0 ,0.13
    stat_sec_attr    light_spear
    Place those in the correct entries within the stats of your greek generals bodyguard. Now change the soldier entry to look like this:

Code:
    soldier          hellenistic_infantry_new_general
    Save your EDU and open the DMB file. Scroll down to the entry for Hypaspistai and make a copy of the following lines so the new entry in the DMB looks like this. You can place it just after or before the hypaspistai for easier reference.

Code:
    ; Hellenistic infantry - Hypaspistai / Massiloi Hoplitai

type				hellenistic_infantry_new_general
    skeleton			fs_swordsman_barb_slash, fs_o_f_spearman			;1: fs_1h_axeman ; combat spear
    indiv_range			40
    texture				greek_cities, eb/data/models_unit/textures/hellenistic/ebhellenistic_infantry_hypaspistai_agart_julii.tga
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_hypaspistai_agart_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_hypaspistai_agart_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_hypaspistai_agart_low.cas, 40
    model_flexi			eb/data/models_unit/ebhellenic_infantry_massiloi_hoplitai_hypaspistai_agart_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite		greek_cities, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/greek/ebsprite_greek_infantry_hypaspistai_all.spr
    Notice that the type entry in the DMB must be exactly the same as the soldier entry in the EDU. The soldier entry determines the model used by the unit in battle. This is corresponded in the DMB by the type entry of a model.

Now save the DMB and exit. If you did both things correctly you should now have a new greek generals bodyguard model using the hypaspistai armament and skins.

In order to complete the task you still need to go to the EB\UI folder and copy the Hypaspistai unit cards to the greek_cities folder and rename those to greek_infantry_greek_general. But it will work fine without it too.
    Last edited by The Errant; 08-29-2007 at 07:46.