Thread: Best defensive postition you've ever had (screenshots)

Default Best defensive postition you've ever had (screenshots)

After fighting a battle with a very good defencive postition, I was wondering what other people's best defencive was.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Screw you guys, I'm going home..."
    -Eric Cartman, Southpark

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Best defencive postition you've ever had (screenshots)

Nice result there!

My best defensive position ever was when I was fighting against the Timurids at a bridge north of Kiev. I was defending, and there were steep slopes to either side of the bridge, and one even had a cliff. So I parked my crossbows there, and my spearmen used their shiltrons at the bridge exit to fend off four full Timurid stacks. Sorry no screenshots though. I wish you could save battle replays from campaigns, no idea why CA didn't allow that.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    Nice result there!

My best defensive position ever was when I was fighting against the Timurids at a bridge north of Kiev. I was defending, and there were steep slopes to either side of the bridge, and one even had a cliff. So I parked my crossbows there, and my spearmen used their shiltrons at the bridge exit to fend off four full Timurid stacks. Sorry no screenshots though. I wish you could save battle replays from campaigns, no idea why CA didn't allow that.
    Actually you can, you have to open the console and enter "save_battle_replay <name>" where <name> has to be replaced with the name of the replay.
    If you use a mod folder you have to use "../<mod>/<name>" instead

Nice position there. My best one so far was a huge mountain (no screens either) where playing Hungary I could put all my horse archers, pavise crossbow militia and bulgarian brigands up. I totally annihilated an army containing 1200 units with losses of 2 (normal unit sizes mind) who were due to friendly fire.
    Last edited by alpaca; 08-26-2007 at 23:09.

Just this morning I came across my best defensive position ever. It was a fairly steep hill with some rocks near the bottom to funnel the enemy. They milled around trying to get through, and when they eventually tried to charge my archers had done so much damage that they routed when they saw my numbers.

In the end, I had 8 deaths. I had over 790 kills. It was amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Why waste time on thought when you have a big charge bonus?

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Best defensive postition you've ever had (screenshots)

sorry to go a bit off topic here, but on the subject of campaign battle replays, when do you open the console? after the battle when you're back on the campaign map? or at the battle result screen somehow?

and how do you know the <name> of the battle?
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey
    sorry to go a bit off topic here, but on the subject of campaign battle replays, when do you open the console? after the battle when you're back on the campaign map? or at the battle result screen somehow?

and how do you know the <name> of the battle?
    The <name> refers to the new file where replay will be stored

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    Actually you can, you have to open the console and enter "save_battle_replay <name>" where <name> has to be replaced with the name of the replay.
    Cheers Alpaca, I'll use that in future.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. Every time I try to load a replay saved this way, the game crashes with the "unspecified error".

P.S. Sorry for OT

Per Ole, great defense. I don't think I've ever had such a lopsided victory but of course that's the point of defense; finding good position and exploiting it.

I think the best defense I had was with my Sicilian militia class infantry and peasant archers against the invading French who had knights; on horse and dismounted as well.

Looking at the battlefield before me I thought of 300/Thermopylae and I placed my troops inside of some farming structures forcing the French to attack one point. Sure enough the French charged their elite knights into my trap getting hammered on three sides by spears which quickly routed their cavalry. Again and again they tried to smash through and though they did a lot of damage in the end they routed... Knights chased off the field by peasants and militia.

I know when we think of position we usually think of hills and elevation but don't ignore those buildings in the field either.
    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

-- Genghis Khan

if a building's got some sort of one entrance into a courtyard, can you enter into the courtyard and defend the one entrance?
    Last edited by Per Ole; 08-27-2007 at 14:54.
    -Eric Cartman, Southpark

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

I have repeatedly tried to enter some sort of manor or monastery on the battle map but without success...

Farms or mills are different in that matter as stated by DensterNY because if you have lots of infantry and are facing cavalry, the horsemen won't be able to get a formed charge and will then be cut to pieces by foot soldiers
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Man behind the screen Member Empirate's Avatar

It seems that in TW:Empires we'll be allowed to have our soldiers enter all buildings on the battlefield to get a fortified position. I'm very much looking forward to that!
    People know what they do,
    And they know why they do what they do,
    But they do not know what what they are doing does
    -Catherine Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ole
    After fighting a battle with a very good defencive postition, I was wondering what other people's best defencive was.

Truly, this is beautiful what great fortune to get that kind of deployment
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

This was a good one I like to call the Trail of Tears because the enemy had to march up a VERY narrow winding path to get to me, and were under constant XB shots. IIRC my force was blocking the HRE in the pass from Vienna to Venice. Emporer Henry the Chivalrous was KIA. I didn't chase all the routers because i was trying to maintain my generals Chivalry. Most of the kills were made by my 3 Pavise XB Militia. The 4 units down below are XB + general, they went down to prevent a regroup. Spears moved back a bit so I could get a good shot of the carnage where they were fighting. You can see in the top left of results screen that a LOT of enemy knights were killed by xbows as soon as they entered the narrow pass.

The next one was as Milan, 2 Hosp. Knights vs 3 Armoured Sergeants, the lines show the movement of the forces, I was able to march my knights even farther up the mountain from the deployment zone, and they then charged downhill into the exhausted spearmen who had no time to brace themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ReiseReise
    This was a good one I like to call the Trail of Tears because the enemy had to march up a VERY narrow winding path to get to me, and were under constant XB shots. IIRC my force was blocking the HRE in the pass from Vienna to Venice. Emporer Henry the Chivalrous was KIA. I didn't chase all the routers because i was trying to maintain my generals Chivalry. Most of the kills were made by my 3 Pavise XB Militia. The 4 units down below are XB + general, they went down to prevent a regroup. Spears moved back a bit so I could get a good shot of the carnage where they were fighting. You can see in the top left of results screen that a LOT of enemy knights were killed by xbows as soon as they entered the narrow pass.

The next one was as Milan, 2 Hosp. Knights vs 3 Armoured Sergeants, the lines show the movement of the forces, I was able to march my knights even farther up the mountain from the deployment zone, and they then charged downhill into the exhausted spearmen who had no time to brace themselves.
    Trail of tears ? How about Carpet of Carnage? Hehe

As for courtyards, unfortunately you can't really use them except as obstructions where units cannot pass. Sometimes you have to mouse over terrain during formations to see whether or not they're passable or where their true borders lie.
    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

-- Genghis Khan

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

This may not be the best defensive position ever, but it was good enough to utterly crash a fine mongol full stack, with minimal casualties on my side. The death toll would've been even higher if I haven't failed to notice they are fleeing from the battlefield. Guess I was too busy taking screenshots

Very good guys, keep fighting them awesome battles and get some more screens ^^
    -Eric Cartman, Southpark

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DVX BELLORVM
    Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. Every time I try to load a replay saved this way, the game crashes with the "unspecified error".

P.S. Sorry for OT
    Well it sometimes crashes, sometimes works. It's the same with other replays, really.
    I can say I was able to replay a few campaign battles successfully.