Thread: Graphically impressive games

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Graphically impressive games

Just got my new ATI 512MB x1950 graphics card working (finally!), and it runs the Bioshock demo on high like a dream. That means it can probably run anything and everything, so give me some very beautiful games i can buy for my swanky new piece of hardware.

And i mean everything guys. As long as it looks amazing on high settings, i don't care what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Default Re: Graphically impressive games

Graphics all you seek in a game? :P

Some suggestions:
    * Crysis when it is released
    * Far Cry + "Cold Renderer"
    * World in Conflict demo... I bet you didn't think of this one :P

Well, what can I say... I don't play that many games.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Bioshock isn't that demanding - that is to say, it's well optimized.

See how you do at Supreme Commander (which only looks so-so) but is still a real hog.

Or World in Conflict at max settings, give that a try.

Or M2TW with no cap on the number of units in a battle. That plus max settings...

If the 1950 is anywhere close to a my 7950Gt in gaming performance, don't expect to get ultra high settings everywhere, but expect some very nice graphics nonetheless. World in Conflict Demo would be on my list as well as Medieval 2. Anno 1701 also has some nice graphics, as does Stalker.

Supreme Commander really looks just so-so and you need a beast of a CPU for it not to lag in big battles(I read about quad cores with 4GB RAM running it lag-free or something like that).

That's what I can say about the games I have, the BioShock Demo also has some nice graphics but you might weant to read the BioShock thread first concerning it's apparently invasive copy protection.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

I'm surprised nobody has yet to mention Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    T'was just about to say that, yea run that on a 1900x(whatever res) +maximum on Oblivion.

Splinter Cell 4. I thought part 3 (Chaos Theory) was already very good-looking but 4 takes it further.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

If you enjoy simulations, you might try Silent Hunter 4, a WWII U.S. submarine sim (Pacific theater). The sea and weather effects are pretty amazing. There is a user mod included in the uber-mod "TMaru" that makes the ocean even more realistic, so look for it on the subsim.com forum if you get the game. TMaru fixes most of the remaining bugs, and adds other features.

Here's a link to a user screenshot thread on the Ubi/SH4 forum. Scroll down the page to see all the images:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...5/m/5181010975
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Actually, the new Medal of Honor is pretty nice looking. There's a demo out...

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Drop-dead gorgeous, demanding game(-ish...)? Flight Sim X.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

One of the first things i tried when i got the card was Bioshock, looked amazing.

As for the WiC demo, i'm having issues with it and can't play it. It can't find my user profile because My Documents is on an external hard-drive, so it plonked down the user data in my brothers documents on the C:, but despite me moving the user data to the My Documents on the external hard-drive and to my documents on the C: it still won't work.

Oh well :(

The other suggestions are all awesome. I still got Far Cry lying around somewhere, i need to test that on high.
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

You could also give FEAR a go, I've heard it's quite a demanding game.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae

Oblivion + Qarl looks fantastic - pity it overflows my 2gb on Vista

You could also give FEAR a go, I've heard it's quite a demanding game.
    Yeah, doesn't look too bad. It's pretty much all indoors corridor shooting, though...

The latest Source engine (ep2) doesn't look too bad, either, with dynamic HDR and the best rendered characters I've seen in a game...
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I just upgraded nearly every part of my PC, including the VPU (to an 8800GS 640mb). I have since re-installed several games to revel in the glory of maxed graphics settings at max resolution. This includes Doom 3, Farcry, Oblivion, M2TW, and now BioShock.

IMO, the most graphically impressive is M2TW. I threw all settings as high as they would go, enabled unlimited men on the field, set the game to Huge unit size, and made some custom battles. Running in widescreen, I have never seen any game more beautiful in my life than that. Though Oblivion trumps it on the details, the overall effect of 15,000 men duking it out in full glory without any slowdown at all is truly an incredible experience.
    Last edited by TinCow; 08-27-2007 at 19:12.

Company of Heroes.
    I support Israel

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Get that World in Conflict demo on your machine and see how it goes... It has a sweet little test option in the video settings which runs through a town being blown to bits. Now that tests your machine...

First game I have had to move from Ultra High to simply High gfx setting in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane
    Get that World in Conflict demo on your machine and see how it goes... It has a sweet little test option in the video settings which runs through a town being blown to bits. Now that tests your machine...

First game I have had to move from Ultra High to simply High gfx setting in a while...
    Tragically enough the WiC demo won't run on my computer right now (some issue to do with it not being able to install and run user profile data properly) but hopefully when i have some spare time i'll be able to make it work properly. I think i have a fix.

FEAR is not demanding, I'm playing on highest and it runs very decently. (On a 7600 GS not impressive)

Well, the first game on this extensive list you've all contributed to is...*drum roll*...bioshock!

Shall be picking it up later today, hopefully.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by currywurry
    Well, the first game on this extensive list you've all contributed to is...*drum roll*...bioshock!

Shall be picking it up later today, hopefully.
    Enjoy the DRM...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Enjoy the DRM...
    I honestly don't care about the DRM. I don't know why people are making such a big fuss about it.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by currywurry
    I honestly don't care about the DRM. I don't know why people are making such a big fuss about it.
    Well, in some cases I agree. However, if, like in this case, it means you can only install the game a limited number of times, I really do care.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Well, in some cases I agree. However, if, like in this case, it means you can only install the game a limited number of times, I really do care.
    I'm not bothered about that because i know that after a while they will remove it. How long that will be, i don't know. And anyway, once i install a game, it generally stays there for 8 months, by which time i've played it into submission.

I wouldn't call Bioshock graphically impressive so much as impressively stylish. What makes it great is the art-deco style and the attention to detail by the art team, not the graphics engine itself (Unreal Engine 3). It makes for a very interesting environment and I personally spend a lot of time exploring every nook and cranny just to see all of the interesting things they have hand-placed. Truly an achievement in design.
    Last edited by TinCow; 08-31-2007 at 15:40.

Without turning this into a system spec thread, Tin Cow...I'm just wondering what CPU you upgraded to? I'm not sure but it seems to me that all those guys on the battlefield could be quite a big cpu hog...

Well anyway, back on topic, obvious one is Crysis soon. However afaik the x1950 is still only a directx 9 card so you probably won't be able to max that, but it''ll still look great on dx9.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch
    Well anyway, back on topic, obvious one is Crysis soon. However afaik the x1950 is still only a directx 9 card so you probably won't be able to max that, but it''ll still look great on dx9.
    Balls to dx10, dx10 will probably be ignored. People will only start caring about new directx's with the release of dx11, and that won't be for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch
    Without turning this into a system spec thread, Tin Cow...I'm just wondering what CPU you upgraded to? I'm not sure but it seems to me that all those guys on the battlefield could be quite a big cpu hog...
    Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz, but I don't think M2TW actually takes advantage of the dual core. I 'upgraded' from a P4 3.0ghz. It was not by choice; I was perfectly happy with the P4. I needed a new VPU, which meant PCI-Express and my old mobo was AGP. That in turn meant a new CPU as well, because I had the old Socket 478.

Anno 1701 and Settlers 6, beautifull colours