Thread: “Abilities at a glance” ?

Question “Abilities at a glance” ?

Hi all,

I am working on this online unit browser tool (http://warlore.org) and I want the unit info card to look as similar as possible to how it looks like in game (for example, Gothic Knights)

Problem is I can’t find a list of the “Abilities at a glance” in the game’s data files, not to mention the formulas that are used to calculate each ability.

Anyone has any idea how these stored and calculated?

Or my only option is go over each unit in game myself and produce the list manually and then try to guess how each is calculated?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    - barvaz
    warlore.org - An online M2TW game data browser.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Default Re: “Abilities at a glance” ?

It's all described in export_descr_units.txt (for the stats you can also use FAUST)
    The unit cards can be found somewhere in the ui folder

However, you have to unpack your game first.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Most are described int he EDU, but some things like powerful charge, good morale, long range missiles, vulnerable to missiles etc are translated from numerical values.

For example morale 9 and higher counts as good morale.
    Takes a bit of trial and error to find the exact thresholds.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

You see, I already have the entire export_descr_units.txt fully parsed and imported into a database.

I am talking about the "Abilities at a glance" stats that are certainly not there but calculated from the various other stats.

What I am looking for is how to get a full list of these "Abilities at a glance" and how to find formulas and exact stats from which they are calculated without guessing it all myself. I was hoping there was more clues in the other data files or that someone here already did this.

Thanks

Cheers,
    - barvaz

in the good ol' US of A. my brothr is in the Airforce, and i am proud of what he does for his country.

*edit*

see below
    Last edited by mor dan; 08-26-2007 at 09:03.
    "Signatures tell the forum who you are. If you make jokes, you are a clown. If you leave serious quotes, you take things seriously. If you challenge the owner of the forums, you are a malcontent.

The Owners are like a government. If you make jokes, they laugh. If you make serious quotes, they keep an eye on you, while probing public opinion on your remarks. If you challenge them, you are a threat." - me on the SWG forums before they censored my sig

in the good ol' US of A. my brothr is in the Airforce, and i am proud of what he does for his country.

the answer is still in the EDU. the ability can form spear wall comes from the word phalanx, if memory serves. just the same as can do schiltrom comes the ability listed schiltrom. i probably butchered that word. it's 3am.

but all of those words you see are triggered by either numbers or words used in the EDU. for instance, charge bonus determines wherether a unit is listed as "very strong charge". 13, 8? yes. 13, 3? not so much...
    "Signatures tell the forum who you are. If you make jokes, you are a clown. If you leave serious quotes, you take things seriously. If you challenge the owner of the forums, you are a malcontent.

The Owners are like a government. If you make jokes, they laugh. If you make serious quotes, they keep an eye on you, while probing public opinion on your remarks. If you challenge them, you are a threat." - me on the SWG forums before they censored my sig

Similar to the link I posted above, here is a screenshot from the game:

Some of these are easy to guess, like "Can form wedge" - so if the attribute of a unit has wedge in formations data, this ability will probably appear on the unit card.

Others are more difficult, for example, what is "Good Stamina" based on and what is the exact numeric value?

And I am still looking for the full list of all the possible abilities.

Cheers,
    - barvaz

Quote Originally Posted by mor dan
    the answer is still in the EDU. the ability can form spear wall comes from the word phalanx, if memory serves. just the same as can do schiltrom comes the ability listed schiltrom. i probably butchered that word. it's 3am.

but all of those words you see are triggered by either numbers or words used in the EDU. for instance, charge bonus determines wherether a unit is listed as "very strong charge". 13, 8? yes. 13, 3? not so much...
    Yes, I know - This much I've figured :)

But I want the formulas without the need of going over each ability and guessing. How do you know that 13, 8 is a "very strong charge" and 13, 3 is not? What about 13, 4 ? And so on...

Plus, there are at least couple of dozens of these abilities and 413 units in the game so I am looking for an easier way to compile a list of them all and their formulas.

Thanks.

- barvaz

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Ah now I see what you mean.

Most of them are only tied to one value so checking units with different values will yield you the thresholds within an hour or so.

So I guess there is no easy way.

Alright, I will have to do it manually then and go over all the units, mark all the abilities and then try to figure out how each ability is calculated.

Tedious but doable.

Thanks

- barvaz