Thread: Where's the money coming from?

Default Where's the money coming from?

Hi, this is my first time posting so I apologise in advance if I break any rules of etiquette by being so brazen when asking for advice straight up.

Before I get to my question it might be useful to fill you in on my current state-of-play. I'm the Greek Cities, and doing quite well if I say so myself, I've lost Syracuse, but destoyed the Macedonians. Currently i'm embroiled in a war with Romans, the Brutii in particular. I'm well on top, I've sacked and left Croton which became Scippi, and have blockaded Tarentum for what seems like forever. On the mainland, the Romans hold no cities (I took Apollonia last turn) but still have two full stacks. I should win, but there is one thing that bothers me.

These stacks are being augmented with mercenaries pretty much every turn. Bearing in mind their sole city is blockaded and I doubt they own much else (if anything), how can they afford a) the upkeep of these armies and b) buy more expensive mercenaries? Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Default Re: Where's the money coming from?

Many suspect (and that's likely to be true) the AI has the ennourmous treasury which never runs out of gold. Thus it can affort itself to have full stacks.

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paul_kiss
    Many suspect (and that's likely to be true) the AI has the ennourmous treasury which never runs out of gold. Thus it can affort itself to have full stacks.
    To quote paul, basically the AI cheats...
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Yep, I think it has something to do with scripting that causes them to never run out of money. It is even more noticable in EB when you know very well that the AI faction has an income of -2000 per turn or something like that but they're still parading around full stacks.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

AI factions get a monetary aid every turn depending on the difficulty level. That's why the can sustain huge armies, build and train all the time and aren't hurt so much when you destroy cities or blockade ports.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

How do you turn that off? Can you?

How do you turn that off? Can you?
    Set normal difficulty.
    BTW, sometimes AI really cheats when becomes protectorate ( I played as Seleucid with cash $1,050,000; after this Armenia had $1,000,000 and I had $50,000