Thread: Holiday ideas!

Default Holiday ideas!

I'm planning to escape the cold winter here this year, so I'm going somewhere hot.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where it would be fun to go... And that's where the all-knowing people here come in! I'm sure someone here knows the perfect place to go on a holiday.

My only real requirement is that the place is hot... As in at least 20 degrees during winter. Anything else is a bonus really. I'm going with my gf, and if the place is cheap, it's a big bonus, as we're both students, and, well, don't have too much money...

Any ideas?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: Holiday ideas!

I've heard generally good things about Vietnam, though I don't know about their winter weather; same goes for India. I can't really get much more specific, since I don't know what you're looking for. Something sporty, or beaches, or hiking?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    I'm planning to escape the cold winter here this year, so I'm going somewhere hot.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where it would be fun to go... And that's where the all-knowing people here come in! I'm sure someone here knows the perfect place to go on a holiday.

My only real requirement is that the place is hot... As in at least 20 degrees during winter. Anything else is a bonus really. I'm going with my gf, and if the place is cheap, it's a big bonus, as we're both students, and, well, don't have too much money...

Any ideas?
    I hear Iraq is quite nice - cheap, exciting, and over 20 degrees during winter. If you get a visa from your local US embassy, you might even get paid to go there. The downer is that I've heard it's overrun by American and Iranian tourists all year round.

A beach is a big plus. Though seeing as I'm in northern europe, a plane ticket to east asia would probably be a little too expensive...

I'm definitely not looking something sporty, I want a nice, warm relaxing vacation...

And a warzone, as tempting as that may be, isn't quite what I'm looking for... Though it would be nice to get holes in your body for free. Why pay for piercings?

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    I've heard generally good things about Vietnam,
    Vietnam would be fine in winter - at least the South (20-30°C in the Saigon area in December), up in the North it will not be particularly warm (probably not very cold either but certainly not hot). You would also have beaches there and if you want you could also make a trip to Cambodia to visit Angkor which would be quite a highlight

Maybe Flordia, fits your conditions.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    Maybe Flordia, fits your conditions.
    Well, it would work, though I think it'll be too expensive...

But how is the food there? Good and new food is always fun on a vacation. And no, I'm not talking about McDonald's... Are there for example any italian districts there known for good food?

Thinking it through, I actually have four requirements...
    - Warmth
    - Good food
    - Cheap
    - Relaxing

A beach is a plus, but not really required... I'm not really a fan of crowded tourist beaches anyway.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 08-26-2007 at 18:11.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

What about the north African countries like Morocco or Tunisia? Sun, some beaches, perhaps some historical sightseeing while you're at it. AFAIK the prices aren't too extravagant.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Well, Africa, the Middle East and South America would be the obvious choices for winter.
    Actually, pretty much anything with a desert and/or south of the equator but not at the south pole.

Most of those countries are pretty cheap too, although the flight might not be.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

But how is the food there? Good and new food is always fun on a vacation. And no, I'm not talking about McDonald's... Are there for example any italian districts there known for good food?
    Miami has some excellent food options. Lots of NYC style delis, Brazilian steak houses, Cuban restaurants. Almost all major American cities have some good Italian places, but I don't recall any 'little Italy' sort of neighborhoods in Florida, at least nothing that would compare with NYC's LI.

What's your ballpark budget, HoreTore?

Well, searching different flight operators, I have a few ideas:

- Marrakesh. Only flight tickets, so I'll have to find a good hotel... And I have no idea about the place.
    - Istanbul. Sounds very good... Sinan?
    - Athens. Always nice, though my gf has been there before, so she wants somewhere else...

Also, I'm thinking of Sicily... Should be warm, and I'm a huge fan of italian food... Plus there should be good beaches and things to see. Anyone here with knowledge of the place?

@Proletariat: Nothing specific(too far into the future), but probably 15-20.000 NOK, or 3-4.00 USD.

Another edit: The plane tickets to Miami will cost me about 5000 NOK, so that option went out the window...
    Last edited by HoreTore; 08-26-2007 at 18:58.

If you're looking for a resort type holiday you may want to try Eilat in Israel. I've only been there years and years ago but I've got fond memories of the place.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

If you're looking for a resort type holiday you may want to try Eilat in Israel. I've only been there years and years ago but I've got fond memories of the place.
    Hmmm... just checked it out a little, sounded good. But I'd be happy for some info from someone who has been there... Particularly about nasty surprises I might encounter that no travel agency will tell me...

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Texas
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Hmmm... just checked it out a little, sounded good. But I'd be happy for some info from someone who has been there... Particularly about nasty surprises I might encounter that no travel agency will tell me...
    Like I said, I was very young when I went (mid ninetees), but me and my family spent quite a few weeks there. There are plenty of beaches, and bus tours provided good transport to places like Masada, the Dead Sea, and Petra in Jordan. That, and there were good links to Egypt by boat and probably by bus. And two things I really enjoyed when I was little, a camel tour for a day (started early morning, ended late at night with meals and everything) and swimming with dolphins. There's definitely a lot to do, and if that's not quite your thing there are many beaches and decent restaurants. And the weather was great, but that was in the late spring; I don't know about winter.

All in all facilities were fine and there's a lot to do whatever your preferences.

Obviously, there were less worries of terrorism then (though not entirely gone); however, as far as I know Eilat hasn't had many incidents. That probably is something you'd want to checks up on.

Like I said, I was very young when I went (mid ninetees), but me and my family spent quite a few weeks there. There are plenty of beaches, and bus tours provided good transport to places like Masada, the Dead Sea, and Petra in Jordan. That, and there were good links to Egypt by boat and probably by bus. And two things I really enjoyed when I was little, a camel tour for a day (started early morning, ended late at night with meals and everything) and swimming with dolphins. There's definitely a lot to do, and if that's not quite your thing there are many beaches and decent restaurants. And the weather was great, but that was in the late spring; I don't know about winter.

All in all facilities were fine and there's a lot to do whatever your preferences.

Obviously, there were less worries of terrorism then (though not entirely gone); however, as far as I know Eilat hasn't had many incidents. That probably is something you'd want to checks up on.
    According to the travel agencies I've checked, Eilat is quiet...

Sounds very good actually... Right now I'm torn between Sicily and Eilat(oh, and Texas, for STFS' sake...).

But, for anyone who knows, how are the prices in Israel and Sicily? Bear in mind that Norway is one of the most overpriced countries in the world(especially restaurants)...

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Montenegro, pocket paradise. Right now it's still cheap.

http://www.inmontenegro.com/

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

How about Thailand? Not to expensive flights plus cheap places....beaches & a beautiful sea. Just don´t go to the tourist places....
    Last edited by Subedei; 08-27-2007 at 16:07.
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Hawaii, The Big Island, Maui, and definitely Oahu. Good places and veeery relaxing. Besides the babe factor, Hawaii in general relieves a lot of stress just by hanging out on the beach or walking down main street. There's also Pearl Harbor and plenty of surfing sites if ya wanna give it a shot.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Thinking it through, I actually have four requirements...
    - Warmth
    - Good food
    - Cheap
    - Relaxing
    Turkey!

Sicily would also be a good choice. I went to Taormina about 8 years ago (I had to swallow when I typed that, 8 YEARS it has been already while it seems like yesterday. I'm getting old) and it was really worthwhile. A bit more expensive then the usual holiday places in Turkey (Antalya, Kusadasi, Bodrum...) though. Same goes for Malta.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subedei
    How about Thailand? Not to expensive flights plus cheap places....beachesa & a beautiful sea. Just don´t go to the tourist places....
    Yes indeed, although I'd say the flight is expensive - especially for students, but be sure to look that up.

However, the rest of your trip can be as cheap as you want it to be. For instance, at one point when I visited with my family some weeks ago we were overnighting in a bungalow 10 feet from the beach for a mere 295 NOK (37 euro) a night (there were four of us...).

If you put Thailand on the list, do be sure to put in at least some effort. As Subedei already said, you really should avoid the touristy places.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    Yes indeed, although I'd say the flight is expensive - especially for students, but be sure to look that up.
    As for as I can see, they cost from 5700 NOK and upwards... Way too expensive

How about Cuba? I've never personally been there (obviously), but I hear nice things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    How about Cuba? I've never personally been there (obviously), but I hear nice things about it.
    Same problem as asia and florida.... Way too expensive flight.

So I'm basically limited to areas around or at least not too far away from the Mediterranean.

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Greece - I gather it's quite warm in parts over there at the moment...

I've always felt the south of Spain could be interesting - seeing the Alhambra, amongst other things, would be fantastic. A lot of my uni-friends seem to be visiting Morocco at the moment. Israel was very very interesting when I went a few years back. Italy has some beautiful cities to visit - Florence, Venice, Rome &c. &c. I would imagine parts of the Balkan coast would provide a cheaper alternative for a seaside resort... There's a lot out there...
    Last edited by Somebody Else; 09-02-2007 at 14:34.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

NEW ZEALAND!

While it isn't exactly hot yet, it was the 1st day of spring on the 1st of September, but once you guys start winter we'll be enjoying our summer holidays. Our beaches are quite good (in my opinion) since they aren't usually overly crowded.

No crocs in the swimming pools, no poisonous snakes or spiders in the wilderness, nice people and I've always found the food here good. As for how cheap it is here, I don't think it's that expensive, but I don't really know. The Euro is about double the NZ dollar at the moment so I wouldn't imagine it'd be that expensive.

Bad things about coming over here are that it's an expensive flight and a long one, from Auckland to Paris was 23 hours. If you don't wear sunscreen you'll get burnt to a crisp and (if this is a concern for you) we do get small earthquakes from time to time (there were 3 I felt here in Rotorua 3 weeks ago) but they are never anything to worry about.

So yeah, come to NZ, it's a great country!

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Mrs. Beirut wants to go somewhere hot with water during the winter. I checked out my budget and I booked two round-trip tickets to the bathroom for a long hot shower together.

Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to it.
    Unto each good man a good dog