Thread: Effects of Graphics Settings

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Effects of Graphics Settings

I've been trying to make M2TW run faster on my PC. At first I used the auto-detect graphics settings, but I often get messages telling me reinforcements are delayed because my graphics settings are too high. Is there a list of what each of the graphics options do, such as anti-aliasing, resolution etc. Also, why do some, such as campaign resolution, only have one option?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Default Re: Effects of Graphics Settings

I got the same problem with 1g RAM. After upgrading to 2g problem dissapeared. I was trying to experiment with all possible settings before, but it had no effect. And i always playing with small unit size. So, i played 4 campaigns after , and had no problem with big battles eather vs mongols or timurids.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

You could have the monster machine of all time and yet that message will still appear... The only way to get around it to disable it in the file "medieval2.preference.cfg"

Set:

unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1

according to the patch read me you can also change your command line to

medieval2.exe --game.unlimited_men_on_battlefield true

Wanna run MTW faster? Shadows off and small size units.
    "He could hear her still at times. Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses, Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister's eyes."
    Eddard and Lyanna Stark about Jon Snow Targaryen.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Shadows are always the first thing I turn off when I get a new game. They're purposeless and, frankly, they look absurd. Even the best shadows in games are just variations of the lampshade across a floodlight paradigm.

small unit sizes are NOT an option :P its the reason why he wants to lower graphics in the first place i expect :P

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    I've been trying to make M2TW run faster on my PC. At first I used the auto-detect graphics settings, but I often get messages telling me reinforcements are delayed because my graphics settings are too high. Is there a list of what each of the graphics options do, such as anti-aliasing, resolution etc. Also, why do some, such as campaign resolution, only have one option?
    The reinforcements delayed option is triggered by a set manpower threshold being breached; simply disable it using Bob's method and you'll be able to play on.

If you want some more info on the graphics settings, BlackAxe's article here is worth a read (NB: yes, that design is rubbish; that was before Tamur was on board. That's why you don't trust me to design stuff without advice; the later issues here look much, much better )
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Yep, I want to keep my unit sizes at HUGE. My PC is in my sig, that machine should be able to cope with at least Medium unit graphics shouldn't it?

Also, whats the point in the resolutions menu, where there is only one option?

EDIT: Thanks for that link sapi, thats just about explained everything. I have a 8800GS graphics card, so I think I might just get away with high unit detail if I tone down buildings etc.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 08-28-2007 at 12:11.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

BAHAHHAHA
    I bought an emachines for 300 and I play at the middle setting
    im sure your comp can handle the highest setting

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

My machine:

Intel Core2Extreme
    2GB RAM
    8800GTX
    X-Fi sound card
    plus other bits

I run the game 1680x1050, with all graphics setting maxed out (including extreme shadows) and I use huge units.

I have the "unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1" set and never see the reinforcements delated message. (though things can get choppy after the 4th full army...)

If I switched "unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 0" I would see the message after the 3rd full army...

I disagree on shadows being turned off. It'll make the game run faster if your computer isn't up to snuff, but if you're after any eye candy at all, the shadows make a huge difference in making it look 3D and not 2D.