Thread: Edu

Default Edu

After reading and writing in the thread about slingers being overpowered I decided to try doing some modifications to the EDU (making a backup of course)

1) remove AP ability to all slingers
    2) added the AP to all "arrow" type attack
    3) Remove the AP ability of the some HA second weapon so now they are weaker in close combat but a little stronger with missile
    4) went through the whole spearmen list and make sure that they all have the spear ability want
    5) change the label for the Samnite Heavy Infantry because I found it weird for them to be labeled light infantry although I could be wrong, only my EB will be
    6) Added a point of power to the attack of Polybian Principes because I though they deserve to be a little better than Hastati since they were suposed to have experience (my call here again )

So if any of you is interested in knowing out it turns out, just let me know.

I do have a couple of question related to some of the labels however:

- I saw that slingers and others units such as generals' retinues had been given the AP ability to their hand weapon, is there a reason behind that ??
    Like I mentioned some HA units only add AP to their second weapon(spear) so why not those units too

- I read somewhere that the spear label does not give the bonus and malus it is supposed to do, is that true ?? (I hope it does)

- If, the spear does give the bonus and malus, is this going to stack up with the effect with the attribute "mount_effect" ??

I read somewhere too that the spear attribute is working only if the formation is ready, what are conditions for a unit to be ready and thus receiving their entitled bonus against mounted troops??

What is the exact effect of "collision mass" ?? Is it like the capacity of pushing back the enemy and breakthrough his formation ??

Are all units supposed to be able to deployment in square formation or did some units amongst celtic, german and nomads should have been deployed in "horde" formation like in BI. So if someone could come up with a list of units
    that should be deployed in horde formation, thanks in advance
    Proving the others wrong does not prove you right.

Being against war is an evidence in itself but peace is nothing but an absence of wars.

If capitalism, and all its vices, is the best humanity can do with its energies when at peace, it might as well start fighting again...

It is said that the people during the Middle Ages when uneducated, gross, naive, fearful of the unknow and uncaring for all but their little pleasures, with the exception of some elites. I can assure you it haven't change to this day.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

Default Re: Edu

cavalry units and considered ready when they charge, if their spears are lowered for underhanded spearmen, for overhanded cavalry Its hard to tell, but when it says "charging" theres a good chance they are using the charge stat.

the reason the two handed cavalry have the AP attribute I personally think is because its a really big stick being punched through a guy by someone riding on a horse holding it with two hands. aka, alot of power behind that spear.

and yes, i think the maces of the Parthians and Saka have the AP attribute.

Slingers have AP because of the lead bullets some carried and used.

Also most greek cavalry's secondary weapon has the AP attribute as well, the machaira is a weapon with a heavy tip, meaning more power on the swing. (I think, once again im no expert. )

one thing though, what is the difference between a Machaira, Kopis, and Falcata? arent they all basically the same sword?
    Last edited by Spoofa; 08-27-2007 at 06:14.

haha no no, I was not talking about cavalry charging, I was talking about spearmen concerning the ready thing, because spearmen were no better in combat with cavalry than swordmen (maybe even worse if the cavalry use their sword and not their spear once stuck in) unless the spearmen (as explained in STW game manual ) are in formation and pointing their spear (yari for samurais) toward the cavalry

I can understand why charging cavalry have the AP attribute and that why I did not remove it from them but I did remove it for their sword. Also, slingers' knifes had the AP attribute, was that an error ?

So if anyone has answers to my question, it would be greatly appreciated
    Proving the others wrong does not prove you right.

Being against war is an evidence in itself but peace is nothing but an absence of wars.

If capitalism, and all its vices, is the best humanity can do with its energies when at peace, it might as well start fighting again...

It is said that the people during the Middle Ages when uneducated, gross, naive, fearful of the unknow and uncaring for all but their little pleasures, with the exception of some elites. I can assure you it haven't change to this day.

Certain swords are more effective against armor because of their shape...like the falx

What slingers have AP knives? I looked and haven't found any...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Edu

Quote Originally Posted by Patriote
    haha no no, I was not talking about cavalry charging, I was talking about spearmen concerning the ready thing, because spearmen were no better in combat with cavalry than swordmen (maybe even worse if the cavalry use their sword and not their spear once stuck in) unless the spearmen (as explained in STW game manual ) are in formation and pointing their spear (yari for samurais) toward the cavalry
    I recall a post by a developer stating that a spearman can "revert" the charge bonus upon the cavalryman when they are "ready" (standing still, with the weapons pointed at the enemy) and facing the cavalrymen.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!