Thread: Crazy Makedonians

Default Crazy Makedonians

First post after lengthy forum stalk: Greetings and love the game. It rekindled my flagging interest in the brilliant RTW. Just love the concept.

Well, I have to say it, those Makedonians are crazy. I'm playing the greatest faction of all time ;-), you know, the guys in red, and I've bumped into the Makedonians after discovering a mine in Segestica that I wanted to loot. Those chaps don't waste any time. They've just about conquered Sweboz while I was finding my feet in the new game and battling it out with the Aedui.

My Aedui campaign had captured four of their cities but depleted my legion when they mounted a strong counter-offensive. I retreated, sacking the cities as I left (I only learned this can be done the other day by reading this forum) and banking the loot. But my problem was that, although I had a vault full of gold, I had no army and only three cities capable of producing decent units. I needed time to gather a new stack to defend my borders. I contemplated mercenaries but I find that they're just not quite up to holding the line (not the units I could muster in Italian territories) and then the Makedonians offered to make me a Protectorate. After half an hour, a cup of coffee and two fags I decided, what the hell, it's just a game. But my diplomat suggested they bribe me with 10 000 mnai. They accepted and all was well.

However, and this highlights the disconnect between the vanilla diplomacy and military AIs, they immediately attacked me. Now this had two effects: no longer was I a protectorate and my campaign against the Aedui came to an abrupt halt. Makedonia and the Aedui are allied. My depleted legion moved East, gathered the few reinforcements I'd mustered and fought the Makedonians off. But, lo and behold, the very next turn they offered the same deal. So far I've made 40 000 mnai off the Makedonians. They did it three turns in a row, gave it a three turn rest and then did it again. It's given me the opportunity to build up more cities so that I can produce decent troops (up to Triarii level) at six cities and I've since mustered three full stacks and I'm currently working on the fourth. It also allowed me to capture Ak Ink, sack it, slay the population and defeat one of their strongest stacks.

Are there specific conditions that make this occur? If so, I'd like to replicate them with the Aedui. Those buggers can raise armies faster than Roman slaves steal wine!

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

Default Re: Crazy Makedonians

First. Welcome to the forums. Here is your complimentary balloon.

You just stumbled on the ingenious RTW AI. I'm afraid I don't have any idea how to replicate the conditions to get the AI offer you to become their protectorate.

RTW diplomacy is sentered on bribes (tribute). If you give enough to a neighbor. They might, emphasize might stay at peace with you for a bit longer. Apart from that, they might think twice of attacking if you've posted strong garrisons in your border cities.

You have to be neutral or at the very least have decent relations with a faction for them to offer you to become a protectorate. If you've been at war with the Aedui for a long time, and exterminated some of their cities they might not offer you the option at all.

In the meanwhile you might want to try out some of the fanbased mods on AI economics and diplomacy. They should help you avoid enemy stack parades and senseless AI diplomacy:

AI Rebalancing Mini-Mod: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87649

The Force Diplomacy minimod: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80763

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Thanks for the balloon! I'll attach it to my virtual helm.

And thank you for the links to the addons, I'll give them a bash.

Welcome micasa, this place is awesome!

Btw micasa, Foot's got all you want or need, as long as you have the money. He only deals in cash.

The Makedonians conquered Sweboz ?
    What year is it in your campain right now? I think they should be in War with the Seleukides or so but not Swebot!

You are not playing without the skript, micasa, do you?
    Last edited by Liberator; 08-27-2007 at 12:12.
    Better dead than a Coward - Gurkha motto

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

In my current KH campaign the seleucuids are attacking either blockading the port at rhodos or just landing troops there. Small stacks easily fought off by my general in the city. Thing is they always offer a cease fire the turn after. I started off small (500mn for 4 turns etc), and after about forty years of this its gotten to the stage where once a year the AS give me a nice 20000-40000 tribute to make friends with them.
    Pain in the ass fighting all those Rhodos battles though

Quote Originally Posted by Liberator
    The Makedonians conquered Sweboz ?
    What year is it in your campain right now? I think they should be in War with the Seleukides or so but not Swebot!

You are not playing without the skript, micasa, do you?
    Correction, they haven't conquered them, they've *almost* conquered them. My mistake! And yes, script is activated every single time I load. Year is around 218 if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaatu
    Welcome micasa, this place is awesome!

Btw micasa, Foot's got all you want or need, as long as you have the money. He only deals in cash.
    Thank you. And yes, I've seen Foot about the forum. Man must have the patience of a saint answering the same questions repeatedly! I think I'll give him a short holiday from another newb question! But next week I'll be sure to ask him something dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by overweightninja
    In my current KH campaign the seleucuids are attacking either blockading the port at rhodos or just landing troops there. Small stacks easily fought off by my general in the city. Thing is they always offer a cease fire the turn after. I started off small (500mn for 4 turns etc), and after about forty years of this its gotten to the stage where once a year the AS give me a nice 20000-40000 tribute to make friends with them.
    Pain in the ass fighting all those Rhodos battles though
    Love the name! The AI can be so generous sometimes.