Thread: BGII Help

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Default BGII Help

Baldur's Gate II is my favorite game, doesn't mean i'm good at it though. Here are some very simple BGII questions, hopefully you guys can help since most of the online guides I read don't help that much. You don't even have to actually answer the questions, all you have to do is point me in the direction of a good guide that actually helps.

How do you defeat dragons in BGII? I've come up against them but I never fight them, I tried fighting Firkraag with the dragon stuff but I got munched, I did get up to Suldanessalar but I couldn't talk my way out of fighting the dragon so I started a new game.

Is there any way to stop Yoshimo from betraying you? I think I've tried all of the dialogue options but it doesn't work but in a guide I read it says you can stop him betraying you.

Who do think makes a good party? Currently I have Me, a Wizard Slayer who is actually quite useless at slaying wizards, Minsc(Ranger), Jaheira(Fighter/Druid), Mazzy(Fighter), Aerie(Mage/Cleric) and Imoen(Thief/Mage). This is just after being betrayed by Yoshimo, I haven't got up to killing him yet though.

Is it worth skipping the Underwater City and going straight to the Underdark? I did this in my last game but apparently there's some good items there.

When I get to the Underdark, is there a way to shut off the elemental portals that are right next to the entrance?

One more thing, could someone please tell me where some artifact pieces are? All I have now is Pommel Jewel of The Equalizer and Gesen Shaft and string.

This is it, I think, and the only real Vital Question here is the dragon one, If I can beat those I could probably finish the rest of the game myself.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: BGII Help

For Firkraag, instant death spells. You can kill the shadow dragon normally though, just casat every protective spell you can think of, lay a dozen traps, then hack away...

Yoshimo will betray you no matter what. I do believe there is an exploit however...

As for the perfect party, well, I usually used the Drow cleric(if I'm weak in melee, I sometimes use anomen instead), Jan, the blade, the paladin or mazzy and Edwin.

The underwater city is very good and fun, so you'll want to get there.

When you have killed enough of those elementals(it takes a lot), then they shut down and something I don't remember happens.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    When you have killed enough of those elementals(it takes a lot), then they shut down and something I don't remember happens.
    Is it worth killing them all or should I just run past them like normal?

The elementals - I believe you need to use a freedom scroll in the trapped wizard cavern.

A powergamed party:

Viconia (is there anything that 50% magic resistance can't do)
    Korgan (Berserk and dangerous)
    Nalia/Imoen (enough thief to do most things thiefy and enough mage to do anything magey)
    Mazzy or Minsc (I just don't like Valygar, Mazzy would probably be my preference of the two)
    Usually I'd throw in Edwin too.

I wish there was a way to keep Yoshimo. A dualled Yoshimo Thief/Fighter can be awesome.

Optimally, you'd have Keldorn too, but he and Viconia don't go together all that well.

I tried soloing the game with a swashbuckler recently. Worked out pretty well, but TOB got a lot harder. Couldn't finish it because computer died. Generally, the way to deal with dragons is to spam protective and benefit spells before trying desperately to smite them with massive damage.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

After reading some of the faq's that Kekvit Irae provided, I have one more question: What is this: "Dak'kon's Zerth blade" it says it's a powerful katana, could someone please tell me where it is?

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    How do you defeat dragons in BGII?
    From my hazy memory, a few things stand out:

- I killed Fierkraag with warriors - me (fighter with Celestial Fury); Minsc; Jaheira - probably Jaheira's elemental. That probably means the spell casters (Aerie, Imoen, Jan) were buffing/healing my fighters.

- To deal with the wing buffet knock-down attacks, spread the party around so he can only face and buffet one warrior.

- Use summoned creatures to distract him.

- Cast spells that make you immune to fear.

- I used pause on end of turn: a lot happens each turn against a dragon, so you need to be careful.

Thanks guys, you've answered most of my questions, I should be ok from now on.

Just one more thing, How do I get Flail of the ages +5? Are there more heads? I though there were only three, I went through all of the keep and only found three, what else do I need to make it +5? And how do I get the Mace of Disruption +1 to become +2?
    Last edited by Xehh II; 08-28-2007 at 01:06.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Flail of Ages +5 (BLUN30)
    Location(s)
    [ToB] Abyssal Fortress - Forged for you by Cespenar the Imp for Flail of Ages +4, the Electric Flail Head, and 5,000 GP

Mace of Disruption +2 (BLUN25)
    Location(s)
    Docks District (Cromwell's House) - Forged for you by Cromwell the Dwarf for the Mace of Disruption +1, Illithium Ore, and 7500 gp

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/weapons.php

Well I won't be getting Flail of the Ages +5 since I don't have ToB but could I get MoD +2 still? If so where is the ore that I need?

Yes, that is correct. You'll need ToB for the +5.

Neb in Bridge District. Kill him for it. It weighs 200 pounds, however.

Where in the bridge district is he? Is it on the map?

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Well I won't be getting Flail of the Ages +5 since I don't have ToB but could I get MoD +2 still? If so where is the ore that I need?
    I HIGHLY recommend getting ToB, especially if BG2 is your favorite game. You can probably get it for a ridiculously low price now and it gives the entire series a very satisfying ending.

[edit] Amazon has it for $20 USD new and about $12 USD used.
    Last edited by TinCow; 08-28-2007 at 14:06.

Where in the bridge district is he? Is it on the map?
    He's in one of the two derelict houses. One of them is trapped and requires a special gem to get in, the other is not trapped, and leads to Neb.
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 08-28-2007 at 18:20.

After reading some of the faq's that Kekvit Irae provided, I have one more question: What is this: "Dak'kon's Zerth blade" it says it's a powerful katana, could someone please tell me where it is?

That's a Planescape item. I don't think it's in Baldur's Gate II.

I back the recommendation for ToB.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Neb's house is the one in the top left corner of the bridge district, and locked.
    Note you'll only meet Neb and get the Illithium off him if the temple quest for the statue is active (or at least that's how it works for me usually).
    Also, doing so will cause you to 'fail' the temple quest as the sculptor will see that you brought him fake Illithium. Still, the person at the temple will be happy with the fake illithium and you get slightly less experience, I think.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by Orb
    That's a Planescape item. I don't think it's in Baldur's Gate II.
    Wasn't the katana one of the items with the two bonus merchants that you could get if you pre-ordered (or got the collector's edition or something)? I think later patches might have made them standard; if not, they can be downloaded off the internet on some fansites.

I don't recall it being better than Celestial Fury, though.
    Last edited by econ21; 09-01-2007 at 18:10.

I think for combat, celestial fury is still one of the best katanas.
    If memory serves, Dakkon's blade was for mages as it gives bonus spells.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Dak'kon's Zerth Blade is an item in BGII, as well as many other Planescape items (such as Harmonium Helmet and Sensate Amulet), but only for owners of the Collector's Edition, which adds a new merchant to the market. You can download the Collector's Edition files (they were released by Black Isle) at baldurdash.

Could someone please tell me where some good weapons are? Not ones from ToB or the collectors edition please.

Well, for a complete list and where to find them, have a look at gamebanshee under BG2.

If you are into Katanas, Celestial Fury is in the Guarded Compound in the Temple District.

Be warned, you will face a heck of fight getting it, but it is doable even in Chapter 2 and the weapon is all you will need for the game (maybe with Crom Faeyr in the off hand).

The ultimate paladin sword is with Firkraag (Carsomyr +5). There are plenty of decent weapons (particularly the elven court longbow) that you can acquire by dishonourable methods from the golem room in the De Arnise Keep. To get Crom Faer +5/6 (I can't remember which), a truly excellent weapon, you need a Hammer of Thunderbolts +3 from the Mind Flayer lair in Baldur's Gate (IIRC, for this you need a key from Firkraag's lair someplace) and a scroll from the Shadow dragon. You also need, if I remember correctly, an item from the demons in the Underdark, which is not easy to get (I had to use Slayer change) together with another item (I think it's a girdle of Frost Giant strength and gauntlets of ogre power respectively) from somewhere. Take them all to Cromwell and you have something.

I second the Celestial Fury argument. Ironically, that fight was easy with a solo swashbuckler and hellishly tough with a full party.

The Staff of the Magi is a *really* hard fight in the bridge district. Take a look at any walkthrough for that area to find out how to get it. That said, it's also the most abusable item in the entire game, and still very powerful if used within the bounds of decency.