Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spoils of Victory - a micromod

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Default Spoils of Victory - a micromod

Hallo everyone,
    during a debate here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=90447 I was inspired to try to develop a micromod - my very first attempt at modding - which will represent the booty gained after a victorious battle from capturing the enemy camp and scavenging the bodies....and VOILA:

Features: After a battle where more than 1000 enemy soldiers took part and more than 30% of them were killed the general of the victorious army will gain trait "Enemy Camp Captured" giving him +1 Influence and +1 Morale for all troops on battlefield. Of course only temporarily, as this trait is canceled at the beginning of the next turn by an anti-trait. The "Enemy Camp Captured" trait serves as a trigger for a script giving 2000 mnai to general´s faction at the end of turn - the booty itself.
    So far it works fine, if I start a new campaign (if not, all traits get totally messed up - therefore it is not savegame compatible unfortunately).

However, I am ashamed to admit this, I do not know how to upload my micromod on the Internet and advise on this will be most welcomed. In the meantime I will do more testing and I am ready to send it via e-mail to all interested (just send me a PM).

[I]EDIT:
    Thank you for your advise, Bovi - now everyone can download my micromod here: (EDIT: link removed - was not working)

Just unpack the file into your ...\EB\Data directory and confirm overwrite of the four files. DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL FILES FIRST. Many thanks to CA and to the even more creative EB Team.

I would also welcome suggestions on further improvement and balancing, namely how big the reward should be and whether the reward should be different for each faction (some historical evidence on how the booty was divided between the soldiers, their leader and "the state" will be needed) and whether the trait/reward gain should be randomized.

I would be honoured if other people take interest in my micromod.

V.T. Marvin

A philosopher incidentally passing by: "Oh, just another dwarf standing on the shoulders of giants..."

EDIT Augus 31, 2007
    - Sorry for previous troubles (not-functional download link, code containing "reinforcements CTD bug").
    - I have developed a new release - download here: (link removed - new release see just below)
    - Now the code is based on friendly army size and battle odds, thus preventing "reinforcements CTD bug" from occuring.
    - Now the "CaptureEnemyCamp" has two levels, defeating large enemy army yields 800 mnai cash, defeating very large army should yield 3000 mnai
    - NOTE - the micromod is optimized for HUGE unit setting, if you use any other, it could be impossible to gain the trait and the reward!!!
    - NOTE - in case you have a relly BIG army, you could gain the reward even form victories over very small enemy forces
    - NOTE - most probably it would work as intended only for the attacker, because if you defeat an enemy army which attacked you and gain the trait, it will be immediately nullified by an anti-trait which is ativated at the "CharacterTurnStart"
    - NOTE - the mod is not thoroughly tested yet, because of many "life issues" of mine. I have so far played for about 1 hour, withou any CTD or weird occurences, but unfortunately I have not been able to gain the trait itself :-(((

EDIT September 7, 2007

- I have developed new release - download here: http://uploaded.to/?id=4vdvf2
    - It now works both when attacking and defending
    - Minor bugs discovered and repaired
    - It is well tested and no problems were discovered as yet
    - I will probably continue in further developing and tweaking this (not sooner than I finish my current campaign) but the micromod can already be considered as complete.

EDIT November 12, 2007

New version for EB 1.0 released featuring major improvements - it now works for all unit scales and some other tweaks. More info in readme.

Download here: http://uploaded.to/?id=abryx2

or here:http://www.axifile.com?5891863

Installation
    1.- backup the following files:
    …\EB\Data\export_descr_character_traits.txt
    …\EB\Data\export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt
    …\EB\Data\text\export_VnVs.txt
    …\EB\Data\scripts\show_me\EBBS_SCRIPT.txt

2.- unpack the archive into …\EB\Data directory

3.- overwrite confirmation should appear whether you wish to overwrite abovementioned files – answer “YES”

4.- Start new campaign - It is NOT savegame comatible
    Last edited by V.T. Marvin; 03-21-2008 at 18:43.

Default Re: Spoils of Victory - a micromod

You have two options, given that your change is so minor. The easiest way is to post the snippets of code here and tell people which files they should be added to.

The other way, which is easier for those who want to try out your changes and sort of mandatory if you should expand your mod to affect lots of files later, is to pack the files you've changed into a zip, rar or whatever archive. You can use 7-zip for this, which is free. Then upload this archive at any hosting service, Rapidshare and Axifile are two popular choices. It will give you a link when it's uploaded. Post the link in this thread.

Obviously I haven't tested it, but I must warn you that if you have used the NumEnemiesInBattle variable, your code will crash if the enemy has reinforcements. This was the cause of the infamous reinforcement CTD that held up 0.8 for so long. Use NumFriendsInBattle combined with battle odds instead. I would also suggest expanding to have several levels of the trait, depending on the size of the battle and possibly stacking up the levels as the general fights more than one battle in the turn.
    Last edited by bovi; 08-28-2007 at 10:07.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

@Marvin

It is great idea Where can I download it to try?
    My name is Pius, Pius 007 Curus

Quote Originally Posted by Pius Curus
    @Marvin

It is great idea Where can I download it to try?
    Thanks for your interest, it can be download here: http://dl.axifile.com/e277a6b61efdf6...sOfVictory.zip (also see above) - hope it works

VOXIFEX MAXIMVS Member Shigawire's Avatar

Good initiative mate.

Do heed bovi's warnings. You don't want to drag the Reinforcement CTD bug back into our camp again after the long arduous history we have with it.

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin
    Thanks for your interest, it can be download here: http://dl.axifile.com/e277a6b61efdf6...sOfVictory.zip (also see above) - hope it works
    Sorry, that link does not work. When you click it, it asks which file you want to upload. Please try again .

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Wow, this is super awesome Marvin! Maybe the amount gained should be lessened though, 2000 seems a bit much. Maybe 1000? Is there any way to make it even more dynamic? The amount gained dependent on the actual size of the opposing army and so on? Either way though, this is a great idea and it's cool that you actually did it. I assumed it wasn't possible since it hadn't been done yet.

Give us a new link that works this time or show us the codes you modded in a spiller so that we can see your great job and try working on it if you agree of course
    Proving the others wrong does not prove you right.

Being against war is an evidence in itself but peace is nothing but an absence of wars.

If capitalism, and all its vices, is the best humanity can do with its energies when at peace, it might as well start fighting again...

It is said that the people during the Middle Ages when uneducated, gross, naive, fearful of the unknow and uncaring for all but their little pleasures, with the exception of some elites. I can assure you it haven't change to this day.

Hi every one,

sorry that the link does not work - apparetly it works for me only because I have uploaded this.
    I will gladly share my code with anybody. Actually I have always preferred to enjoy the game rather than to try to "improve it" myself and get it totally messed up.
    The code is really very simple:
    - at the end of ...\EB\data\export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt file I added following lines:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Enemy_Camp_Captured
    Enemy_Camp_Captured_desc
    Enemy_Camp_Captured_effects_desc
    Enemy_Camp_Captured_gain_desc
    Move_On
    Move_On_desc
    Move_On_effects_desc
    Move_On_gain_desc

- at the end of ...\EB\data\text\expor_VnV.txt file I added following lines:
    ¬--------------------

{Enemy_Camp_Captured} Enemy Camp Captured

{Enemy_Camp_Captured_desc}
    The battle is over and your victorious troops have captured the enemy camp harvesting plentiful spoils.

{Enemy_Camp_Captured_effects_desc}
    +1 Influence, +1 Morale for all troops on the battlefield.

{Enemy_Camp_Captured_gain_desc}
    The battle is over and your victorious troops have captured the enemy camp harvesting plentiful spoils.

¬--------------------

{Move_On} Move On

{Move_On_desc}
    This trait will be hidden later on!!!

{Move_On_effects_desc}
    Reverses Enemy Camp Captured effects.

{Move_On_gain_desc}
    This trait will be hidden later on!!!

- at the begining of ...\EB\data\export_descr_character_traits.txt file I added following lines:
    ;------------------------------------------
    ;Trait: EnemyCampCaptured
    ;Trait representing spoils of victory

Trait EnemyCampCaptured
    Characters family
    AntiTraits MoveOn

Level Enemy_Camp_Captured
    Description Enemy_Camp_Captured_desc
    EffectsDescription Enemy_Camp_Captured_effects_desc
    GainMessage Enemy_Camp_Captured_gain_desc
    Threshold 1

;Trait: MoveOn
    ;Hidden trait to remove the EnemyCampCaptured trait

Trait MoveOn
    Characters family
    AntiTraits Enemy_Camp_Captured

Level Move_on
    Description Move_on_desc
    EffectsDescription Move_on_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

- while at the end of that file I added following lines:
    ;Mod: VAMod01: new triggers for EnemyCampCaptured trait
    Trigger VA01a_Standard_Battle_Victory
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
    and WonBattle
    and NumEnemiesInBattle > 1000
    and PercentageEnemyKilled > 30

Affects EnemyCampCaptured 1 Chance 100

Trigger VA01b_Turn_Starts
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition Trait EnemyCampCaptured > 0

Affects MoveOn 1 Chance 100

NOTE that out of my unawareness I have indeed did drag the Reinforcement CTD bug back into our camp again after the long arduous history EB Team had with it. Sorry about that brothers, I will redeem
    - and finally at the beginnig of ...\EB\data\scripts\show_me\EBBS_SCRIPT.txt file I added following lines:
    ;--------------------------------------------------
    ;Section VA: Enemy Camp Captured
    ;--------------------------------------------------

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType romans_julii
    and Trait EnemyCampCaptured > 0

console_command add_money romans_julii, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType romans_scipii

console_command add_money romans_scipii, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType romans_brutii

console_command add_money romans_brutii, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType egypt
    console_command add_money egypt, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType seleucid

console_command add_money seleucid, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType carthage

console_command add_money carthage, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType parthia

console_command add_money parthia, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType gauls

console_command add_money gauls, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType germans

console_command add_money germans, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType britons

console_command add_money britons, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType greek_cities

console_command add_money greek_cities, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType macedon

console_command add_money macedon, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType pontus

console_command add_money pontus, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType armenia

console_command add_money armenia, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType dacia

console_command add_money dacia, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType scythia

console_command add_money scythia, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType spain

console_command add_money spain, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType thrace

console_command add_money thrace, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType numidia

console_command add_money numidia, 1000

end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionType saba

console_command add_money saba, 1000

end_monitor

Actually it is very simple but it is extremely hard for me to have it done properly. Therefore I encourage everyone to build further upon it as he/she pleases. I will be honoured if this idea would be brought to life eventually and that I have contributed a little bit to it.
    So far my very first attempt in modding was not very successfull (that bloody Reinforcements CTD bug! ) and I am even unable to upload it on the Internet properly!!! So I certainly will not mind if somebody else will finish the job.
    Nonetheless I have really enjoyed the time I have spent with my micromod and I will try to finish it too, but it will take some time as it is so much to learn.
    I will definitively like to have it dynamic, so that the reward will be commeasurate to the size of the vanquished army, but now I wonder how to do that when the "NumEnemiesInBattle" variable is out of question. Simply putting "NumFriendsInBattle" combined with "battle odds" will not be very good because than the result will depend on how easy or hard the battle was but in history you certainly could have an easy victory AND abudant spoils. I wonder...

Best regards,
    LONG LIVE EUROPA BARBARORUM!

You could use the same technique as for BattlePoints. Having a huge force of poor units or a smaller one of elite units against you would yield similar spoils, I think, so the combination of number of friends and odds isn't all that bad.

================
    ================

Impossible to download it:(
    My name is Pius, Pius 007 Curus

Hi
    I think this micromode is a good idea. I'm willing to try it as soon as you remove the reinforcement CTD threat. I also have a suggestion, that, if it is possible, you could connect the trait or amount of spoils with a presence of an enemy general. If the enemy army is lead by a family member then probably he is some sort of a noble person and is much richer then the rest of the soldiers, so the spoils usually should be bigger. Also maybe you can connect it with killing this enemy general. It is just a suggestion and because I'm not a moder i have no idea if it's possible at all.
    Regards
    G

I've applied the changes and uploaded it (but not tested it), you can get it here. Unpack to <RTW>/EB/data.

Marvin, perhaps you should try Rapidshare the next time you try to post a file, it may be easier to get the correct link
    Last edited by bovi; 08-30-2007 at 17:55.

================
    ================

Spoils of Victory - new release!

Hi, everyone!

I have completed a new release - see edit in the first post, download here: http://uploaded.to/?id=k98o7l (hope it works now)
    Features:
    - it is based on the size of FRIENDLY army and battle odds, rather than on solely on the number of enemy troops in order to avoid the "reinforcements CTS bug"
    - it has two levels, basically rewarding victory over large anemy army with 800 mnai and victory over very large enemy army with 3000 mnai
    - it would work as intended only for HUGE unit setting, if you use any other you might not be able to get the trait and the reward. To adapt the mod to your needs, you could change the value "NumFriendsInBattle" in the triggers VA01a through VA18b at he end of "export_descr_character_traits.txt" file
    - due to extremely limited time I have it is not thoroughly tested yet. I dare to post it only because in the following days or even weeks I will not be able to play the game at all. If you install the micromod, please consider yourself a game-tester and let me know how it works.
    - Here is a summary of conditions which should activate the mod:
    Friendly army size / Battle odds
    250-750 / < 0.3
    > 750 / < 0.3
    350-1050 / 0.3-0.4
    > 1500 / 0.3-0.4
    450-1350 / 0.4-0.5
    > 1350 / 0.4-0.5
    550-1650 / 0.5-0.6
    > 1650 / 0.5-0.6
    650-1950 / 0.6-0.7
    > 1950 / 0.6-0.7
    750-2250 / 0.7-0.8
    > 2250 / 0.7-0.8
    850-2550 / 0.8-0.9
    > 2550 / 0.8-0.9
    950-2850 / 0.9-1.0
    > 2850 / 0.9-1.0
    1050-3150 / 1.0-1.1
    > 3150 / 1.0-1.1
    1350-3450 / 1.1-1.2
    > 3450 / 1.1-1.2
    1450-3750 / 1.2-1.3
    > 3750 / 1.2-1.3
    1550-4050 / 1.3-1.4
    > 4050 / 1.3-1.4
    1650-4350 / 1.4-1.5
    > 4350 / 1.4-1.5
    1750-4650 / 1.5-1.6
    > 4650 / 1.5-1.6
    1850-4950 / 1.6-1.7
    > 4950 / 1.6-1.7
    1950-5250 / 1.7-1.8
    > 5250 / 1.7-1.8
    2050-5550 / 1.8-1.9
    > 5550 / 1.8-1.9
    2150-5850 / >= 1.9
    > 5850 / >= 1.9

NOTE - If you have and army bigger tan 5850 troops, you should gain the trait and the reward on EVERY victory, no matter how small the defeated enemy army is!!!

Credits: Thanks to Mirmorix for the original idea! I am much grateful to bovi for his advise which make it possible to me to overcome at least a part of my inexperience.

P.S. to bovi - Thank you for you enduring interest in this micromod and that you have done it yourself. I am looking forward to play your version of it.

P.S. to bovi - Thank you for you enduring interest in this micromod and that you have done it yourself. I am looking forward to play your version of it.
    Actually I have an ulterior motive. Since I was thinking about the feature myself earlier, I was thinking to snatch this up when it was good and ripe to use in EB, probably with some tweak or other. It's not quite there yet though, but please continue the work on it . I'll help when I'm able, but probably won't be doing the work myself. Consider yourself cheap, underpaid child labor . Of course, if you do not want us to use your work we won't.

================
    ================

is it savegame compatible now that it's edited and everything? :)

QUOTE - Originally posted by bovi:
    "Actually I have an ulterior motive. Since I was thinking about the feature myself earlier, I was thinking to snatch this up when it was good and ripe to use in EB, probably with some tweak or other. It's not quite there yet though, but please continue the work on it . I'll help when I'm able, but probably won't be doing the work myself. Consider yourself cheap, underpaid child labor . Of course, if you do not want us to use your work we won't."

REPLY - If my micromod be included into official EB I will be greatly honoured. I will work on that further so please follow-up my work and take it whenever you decided that it is good enough.

-------------------------------------
    QUOTE - Originally posted by glouch
    "Is it savegame compatible now that it's edited and everything? :)"

REPLY - Unfortunately not. You have to start a new campaign, otherwise the trait system get totally messed up. (Example - One of my generals, very lively in fact, got a trait "Slain by Sabaeans - He is dead" when I continued my older campaign. BTW, he handled his "death" with dignity and despite being "zombie" he continued to win battles - probably his scary appearance added to the fear he spread among the enemies )

-----------------------------------
    QUOTE - Originally posted by Gugus
    "I also have a suggestion, that, if it is possible, you could connect the trait or amount of spoils with a presence of an enemy general. If the enemy army is lead by a family member then probably he is some sort of a noble person and is much richer then the rest of the soldiers, so the spoils usually should be bigger. Also maybe you can connect it with killing this enemy general. It is just a suggestion and because I'm not a moder i have no idea if it's possible at all."

REPLY - Good idea! I think that there is an event called "EnemyGeneralFallen" or so, which might serve as a trigger. I will look into that an try to incorporate this.

---------------------------------------
    TO ALL WHO HAS DARED TO TRY MY MICROMOD
    How is it working? Is download O.K.? Any problems with installation? Any strange occurences during gameplay, like CTDs, trait "Enemy Camp Captured" never appearing or never disappearing? Any suggestions on how big the reward should be?

I don't have EB installed on this computer, so I cannot reports any bugs. But I can give you some ideas that I thought up that would pertain to what you are trying to accomplish with this modification mini.

I would require some number crunching, but you could base the rewards on the average upkeep cost of, say 500 soldiers for each faction. That way you could create a three or four tiered level of reward to create a more dynamic system. This could represent the supplies that are acquired from the camp (be it foodstuff, ammo, weapons, etc), compensation of wages for soldiers, and personal wealth gained.

I would suggest to you that to be rid of the influence bonus and add it to the morale bonus instead. See how it is never going to last beyond a turn, it not really going to have any, if at all, affect within the game. Seeing how that monetary wealth would make you more amiable in the eyes of you soldiers, they would be more encouraged to fight bravely no?

Maybe you could add in some traits that would effect on how much more or less 'loot' you gain. Say you outnumber the enemy 3 to 1 and only kill 40 percent of their strength, not alot of bodies to go around for looting. This could earn the general the trait of 'Scavenger', which would give a minus to morale, due to the lack of loot. If the opposite were true, you would gain the the trait 'Benefactor'. Which gives a positive to morale, due to the abundance of loot.

You could have more permanent traits like 'Open Handed', that had the effect netted you less money per camp but a higher morale bonus. Or 'Miser' that would have the opposite affect as previously mentioned.
    Help make developers understand the importance of game AI and earn credits as a Game Designer. The Restaurant Game Project

Gisgo Governer of Ippone Member madmatg's Avatar

VT i will be trying your mod out as soon as i die in my current KH campaign(shouldnt be long as the computer decided everyone should betray their alliances with me and now the entire civilized world is coming at a Hellas that is ill-prepared for them)

Phil 2:9-11 Phil 4:4

Spoils of Victory - new release!

Hi, everyone!

I have completed a new release - see edit in the first post, download here: http://uploaded.to/?id=4vdvf2

Features:
    - it now works both when attacking and defending
    - minor bugs discovered and repaired
    - it is well tested and no problems were discovered as yet

NOTE:
    - it would work as intended only for HUGE unit setting, if you use any other setting, you could change the value "NumFriendsInBattle" in the triggers at the end of "export_descr_character_traits.txt" file
    - it is not savegame compatible and you should start a new campaign therefore ( BTW - it is precisely the very reason, why I will not be developing further improvements to this for some time now, because I have a fine campaign underway and want to finish it first )

HOPE YOU WILL ENJOY IT - give me feedback anyway
    --------------------------------
    P.S. to Gaias - Thanks for your suggestions - I like them a lot, especially the idea of 'Open Handed' or 'Miser' generals. After I finish my current campaign I will develop a new version of the micromod which will, besides other things, certainly incorporate this concept.
    I will only stick with the temporary Influence bonus - I know it is useless but I like it for role-playing and also because I love those cute little the laurel wreaths

You should use the UnitSize traits to make sets of triggers for each size setting.

================
    ================

ok its up and running i will be trying it out tonight or tomorrow, cant wait!

this sounds awesome please let me know when it's compatible with unit sizes besides huge (my comp can't handle any bigger than large )

If you want to run with large, simply halve all the requirements for men numbers in the triggers he's made.

================
    ================

will this mod be included in the next build of the game? i really enjoy it as it adds a little satisfaction to those slaughters that do happen :)

No, not unless it is worked further. I'm waiting for the right moment to snatch it up . Also, there would have to be a discussion inside the team of the balancing of it, once we deem the framework to be sufficient. I'm going to help with getting it there though .

Another suggestion is to affect the logistics traits such that a starving army would become only rationing when they capture the enemy camp of a decently-sized enemy army.

================
    ================

isnt there some way to make the amount of money based on the size of the army, like they do for cities, where the amount of money you take everytime is different from city to city, would that be possible as an equation for each army?

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    No, not unless it is worked further. I'm waiting for the right moment to snatch it up . Also, there would have to be a discussion inside the team of the balancing of it, once we deem the framework to be sufficient. I'm going to help with getting it there though .
    Hallo friends!

Thanks for being so interested in my mod. As I have said earlier, I am going to improve it further but I have extremely few time for EB these days - too much work. You know, most bureaucracies are like during summertime and like after the holiday period.

So I have a crucial quetion now. How much time I have left? Bovi, could you please indicate a timeframe in which I should submit a more elaborate version of this micromod in order to allow you to snatch it and tweak it and possibly even incorporate into next official release?
    And when aproximately is the new release to be expected?

So I have a crucial quetion now. How much time I have left? Bovi, could you please indicate a timeframe in which I should submit a more elaborate version of this micromod in order to allow you to snatch it and tweak it and possibly even incorporate into next official release?
    And when aproximately is the new release to be expected?
    Sneaky, sneaky ... Let's just say it's no rush; whenever you get it done will be sufficient. It will then go into the next public build unless it's too close to the submission deadline, whether that is the one coming up now, the next one or the one after that.

================
    ================

Hi, sorry for prodding ... Have you considered picking up the ball again on this?

================
    ================

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast