Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans, how is Kingdoms?

Default Americans, how is Kingdoms?

Seeing as you Americans got it today, and perhaps have had a few hours to play it, how is it?
    I support Israel

Default Re: Americans, how is Kingdoms?

Downloading it from D2D now. Will let you know tonight -- it's over 7 gigs!

I pre-ordered it from amazon, so I won't get it for a while. :P Pre-ordering it turned out cheaper than getting it from WalMart, which is why I did it. :P

Vuk
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Just checked out Best Buy and Gamestop, not in yet... Hopefully tomorrow...

As a brit living in the states I have noted that while release dates are often slightly earlier they are often not as reliable and, I guess due to the size of the place, it is often the luck of the draw whether your shop gets it in on time...

The stores I've called around here are all saying that it shipped today and so should be in tomorrow.

I'm pretty eager for it but, I think either way -download or buy the box - I still won't be able to play it til tomorrow.

Come to think of it; the way M2 consumed my time after I got it for Christmas, it might be better if I wait til Friday. It's a three day weekend here in the States. ;)

"No swords for you wannabes! Get back to poking!"
    - Dopp -

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I havent' seen it ANYWHERE... Just found out that it should have been released today even though I'm waiting for a MT2W:GOLD Edition with M2 and Kingdoms.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Just had a talk with the guys at the local Gamestop. They hate the way companies make a big deal about the release date — because the first units don't ship until the next day. So the downloaders will have the first crack at it.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

There is a guy at TWC (avatar Antioch) who has posted the first screenies. He bought the game in Sweden.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117983&page=5
    Last edited by Monsieur Alphonse; 08-28-2007 at 21:39.
    Tosa Inu

Thanks Alphonse

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Any positive experiences with buying it via download? I'd like to play it now, because I'm impatient, but I also like having the discs. If there aren't any considerable draw backs, I might just download it tonight, but the only other time I've bought a game via download, it only allowed three activations of the game. That's pretty lame since I know I'll inevitably screw up game files while tweaking things and I'd like as many installs as I need.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Swedes and Norwegians always get TW games first.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

not wanting to sound like a troll.... *deep breath* but please can only people with screenies post here.

*ducks to avoid irony of death*

*lurks*

Direct2Drive only allows some number of activations but if you're like me and frequently reformat/reinstall/rebuild then you just email them and whine about it and they give you pretty much an unlimited number of re-activations each time you ask.

Just installing now (had to go out for a while) and don't know how much time I'll have to play it, but hopefully I'll be able to post some impressions and screenshots.

Direct to Drive is not useful for me sadly, as Windows is installed on an old and tiny hard disk and I am too lazy to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Any positive experiences with buying it via download? I'd like to play it now, because I'm impatient, but I also like having the discs. If there aren't any considerable draw backs, I might just download it tonight, but the only other time I've bought a game via download, it only allowed three activations of the game. That's pretty lame since I know I'll inevitably screw up game files while tweaking things and I'd like as many installs as I need.
    Don't download it. I downloaded MTWII and it was a pain in the ass for support and getting stuff to work.

Edit: I did use steam though.

ARRGH! My pre-order with Amazon here in the US says it is in stock on Sept. 2 and deliver between Sept. 11 and 17.
    Playing M2:TW and R:TW on an Intel Mac!

Places I have lived:

Places I have visited:

"The ingenuity of the device blinds us to its utter uselessness."
    (anonymous British civil servant, circa 1940)

(www.3dflags.com)

I preorder my games through Gamestop because there's one within walking distance, probably a bit over a mile from my house. The "release date" is always the "ship date" and I get games the next day.

And I'm surprised how little this game was talked about the previous week, it seems people forgot today is ship date. Didn't see any new threads here until this one and didn't see any of the game sites have any new article about it.
    Last edited by andrewt; 08-29-2007 at 03:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Don't download it. I downloaded MTWII and it was a pain in the ass for support and getting stuff to work.

Edit: I did use steam though.
    I actually had an opposite experience with M2:TW over Steam. In fact, I've liked it so much (no scrounging around to find disks and constantly changing them out of my only CD/DVD Drive, YAY!) I plan to get RTW:Complete and Kingdoms from there.

I say that disks are annoying, if you have a fast internet the best way to go would be downloading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Why waste time on thought when you have a big charge bonus?

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

I would have used Steam but for reasons unknown M2TW was unavailable over Steam to persons living in Australia
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Benandorf
    I actually had an opposite experience with M2:TW over Steam. In fact, I've liked it so much (no scrounging around to find disks and constantly changing them out of my only CD/DVD Drive, YAY!) I plan to get RTW:Complete and Kingdoms from there..
    That's good to hear, because as I understand it, a retail boxed version of Kingdoms won't recognize the fact that you own the Steam version of M2TW, and a Steam version of Kingdoms won't play nice with a retail box of M2TW.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't pay me to buy things off of Steam. It's full of peculiarities.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: Americans, how is Kingdoms?

Downloaded the whole log (7 GB) last nite and had a shot at a Jerusalem campaign for an hour before heading to bed way too late.

Here is the first thing that jumped at me: passive strategic AI all over... Egyptians, being at war with me, had 5 stacks wandering around my provinces around Jerusalem for 10 turns and not attacking anything... with the manpower they had there they should have been able to seriously threaten at least one of my cities/castles there, but nada...

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaists
    Downloaded the whole log (7 GB) last nite and had a shot at a Jerusalem campaign for an hour before heading to bed way too late.

Here is the first thing that jumped at me: passive strategic AI all over... Egyptians, being at war with me, had 5 stacks wandering around my provinces around Jerusalem for 10 turns and not attacking anything... with the manpower they had there they should have been able to seriously threaten at least one of my cities/castles there, but nada...

It's bad news if it is confirmed... A big let down...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Considering how "patch" 1.3 (you know, the one which doesn't fix anything but just makes the two games compatible with each other) makes no actual difference from 1.2, I wouldn't be surprised if the exact same bugs exist in Kingdoms as in vanilla M2TW.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Swedes and Norwegians always get TW games first.
    Yup, I´m drooling over my copy right now. Just home from work and installing as I post, he he!

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    Considering how "patch" 1.3 (you know, the one which doesn't fix anything but just makes the two games compatible with each other) makes no actual difference from 1.2, I wouldn't be surprised if the exact same bugs exist in Kingdoms as in vanilla M2TW.
    Yes, but Kingdoms AFAIK includes some of the work done by Lusted (notably rebalancing units) and I would have thought that his taking part would have given some results in other fields of the game...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

The kingdoms rebalance does not directly apply to the grand campaign however, as the same unit in kingdoms may have different stats between campaigns.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

The kingdoms rebalance does not directly apply to the grand campaign however, as the same unit in kingdoms may have different stats between campaigns.
    Yes but as stated by Pserameses, it was playing on of the mini-campaigns that he encountered strat-AI problems... So it might negate all the fun the rebalancing could have created...

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan de Castelreng
    Yes, but Kingdoms AFAIK includes some of the work done by Lusted (notably rebalancing units) and I would have thought that his taking part would have given some results in other fields of the game...
    The units were rebalanced by Palamedes, not by Lusted. The balance was partly tested in Lusted's mod to get more feedback on it pre-release.

As for the passive AI: What did you expect? I expected it to be exactly the same as in M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    The units were rebalanced by Palamedes, not by Lusted. The balance was partly tested in Lusted's mod to get more feedback on it pre-release.

As for the passive AI: What did you expect? I expected it to be exactly the same as in M2TW
    What he said.
    A few more units (and their graphical models, effects) and the campaign maps.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

there is a CA (developed in house) mod featured on twcenter site that retrofits kingdom campaign unit balance and many features to the main campaign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast