Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barbarossa82's Gold Mod Collection: Vanilla Balance Mod; VBM for BI, Alexander Reborn

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

Default Re: Barbarossa82's Gold Mod Collection: Vanilla Balance Mod; VBM for BI, Alexander Re

thanks Barbarossa82, your the best.

can't wait to beat the crap out of that scumbag Alexander with the Immortals
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

Default Re: Barbarossa82's Gold Mod Collection: Vanilla Balance Mod; VBM for BI, Alexander Re

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of Ulster
    thanks Barbarossa82, your the best.

can't wait to beat the crap out of that scumbag Alexander with the Immortals
    Good luck, hope you enjoy it!

All mods within the Gold Collection are now hosted with the Org, all download links should now work!
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

When playing as unified Rome without the Senate, DO NOT CLICK on the Senate Offices button. You will get a CTD.
    HAve you deleted the superfaction line? That could delete the Senate Tag.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    HAve you deleted the superfaction line? That could delete the Senate Tag.
    nope it doesn't - only thing that deletes the problem button (not tab) is internally re-naming the romans_senate faction, which is quite possible if you aren't using senate functionality but requires some careful modding of quite a few files.
    Last edited by Makanyane; 12-15-2007 at 00:06.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Cool Re: Barbarossa82's Gold Mod Collection: Vanilla Balance Mod; VBM for BI, Alexander Reborn

is moral higher than in vanilla? , because that really annoyed me. good mod
    Last edited by the greek; 12-23-2007 at 13:54.
    " its funny when you think that if no war had existed there could be no peace ,without war, peace has no oppsite,but in the end it means nothing but what is a idea but words that blossoms in the minds of fickle or brilliant men that give them purpose and to them a meaning ." William Anderson 1781

Quote Originally Posted by DUSAN THE MIGHTY
    Great mod.But I found mistake in RTW descr_strat.Because of that mistake it is impossible to upgrade towns as-Hatra,Sardis and Carthago Nova to large towns because of these line type core_building governors_villa .It should be type core_building governors_house.Only these 3 towns are bugged and modify the descr_strat.
    Having investigated the matter more fully, I must say that you were right and I was wrong. Those towns are bugged. I will release a replacement descr_strat.txt, downloadable from the VBM 5.0 post, for those who want to play without encountering this issue.

Thanks again for your vigilance!
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

if I installed the VBMods onto my Rome/BI diectory, will my current BI saves still work?

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

It will probably work, no guarantees, but any map changes (i.e. landbridges) won't appear until you start a new campaign.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

The mods work with previous saves, but I noticed a wierd cosmetic bug in my Persia and Eastern Empire campaigns. For some reason the world map and the detailed campaign map switch the faction control indicators in both Maurtenia and Arabia Superior (boundry color in campaign map, provience color in mini-map) between the factions controlling the two proviences at the time I installed the VBMods. When I place the cursor or have an agent in site of Dumatha, however it tells me that the provience is controlled by the oppisite faction as Tingi (In my Persia save, its ERE, in my ERE save, its Persia, with both 'switching' with the Berbers)

It doesn't seem to effect gameplay though.

I'll post an update when I take Dumatha with the Sassinsids the next time I play the campaign.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default Re: Barbarossa82's Gold Mod Collection: Vanilla Balance Mod; VBM for BI, Alexander Reborn

Hello Barbossa82,

Im glad I'm playing now VBM for RTW 1.5. Now, there is a Total War. (Hey, a nice phrase for advertising). Still, a bug is rounding up there, Cartago Nova is still having the error that doesn't allow this town to be upgaded to a Large Town. And I am also having a bug with Rome no Senate. It seems when I take certain town, it makes a CTD which damages the game and make it unplayable. Any help on this matter will be apreciated.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Default Re: Barbarossa82's Gold Mod Collection: Vanilla Balance Mod; VBM for BI, Alexander Reborn

Hello Barbossa82,

Im glad I'm playing now VBM for RTW 1.5. Now, there is a Total War. (Hey, a nice phrase for advertising). Still, a bug is rounding up there, Cartago Nova is still having the error that doesn't allow this town to be upgaded to a Large Town. And I am also having a bug with Rome no Senate. It seems when I take certain town, it makes a CTD which damages the game and make it unplayable. Any help on this matter will be apreciated.
    Hi Caius, glad you're enjoying the game and thanks for your feedback.

The Carthago Nova bug (also affects Sardis and Hatra) is fixed by the updated descr_strat.txt you can download from the first post. If you've tried this fix but it doesn't seem to be working, it could be because you're using an old savegame, or because Windows Vista Account Control is preventing you from overwriting the original file. You could check inside the descr_strat file inside your game's directory and compare the Carthago Nova entry to that in downloaded version to see which of these issues is the likely cause.

I have seen a few CTDs with the unified Rome but hoped I had ironed them out. Could you tell me which town is causing the problem? And also keep a saved game to send me if I need to see it? Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of Ulster
    The mods work with previous saves, but I noticed a wierd cosmetic bug in my Persia and Eastern Empire campaigns. For some reason the world map and the detailed campaign map switch the faction control indicators in both Maurtenia and Arabia Superior (boundry color in campaign map, provience color in mini-map) between the factions controlling the two proviences at the time I installed the VBMods. When I place the cursor or have an agent in site of Dumatha, however it tells me that the provience is controlled by the oppisite faction as Tingi (In my Persia save, its ERE, in my ERE save, its Persia, with both 'switching' with the Berbers)

It doesn't seem to effect gameplay though.

I'll post an update when I take Dumatha with the Sassinsids the next time I play the campaign.
    Hi Hound of Ulster,
    That's an interesting effect you describe, and not one I would have a clue how to cause if I tried! However it seems from your message that you may be using VBM-4-BI over a pre-existing savegame. Some weirdness must always be expected in such situations. My advice is always to start a new, clean campaign with VBM.

My Armenian AAR

I thank you for this great mod.

The Carthago Nova bug (also affects Sardis and Hatra) is fixed by the updated descr_strat.txt you can download from the first post. If you've tried this fix but it doesn't seem to be working, it could be because you're using an old savegame, or because Windows Vista Account Control is preventing you from overwriting the original file. You could check inside the descr_strat file inside your game's directory and compare the Carthago Nova entry to that in downloaded version to see which of these issues is the likely cause.
    I downloaded the fix you posted in the post, but such error still exists. I think this is because the starting population of Cartago Nova is 2000, and RTW make an error. I tried to change the governament place, but my in current campaign as Brittania Cartago Nova still is a town, despite the population is 2200.
    I have seen a few CTDs with the unified Rome but hoped I had ironed them out. Could you tell me which town is causing the problem? And also keep a saved game to send me if I need to see it? Many thanks.
    Its Sardinia. Sometimes I get a Regions_DB generic error when I exit the game, I started as Brittania, and there is not any trace of this bug. Since Rome did not invaded Carthage, such error doesn't exists.

Thank you for the sooner response.

Caius

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

I thank you for this great mod.

I downloaded the fix you posted in the post, but such error still exists. I think this is because the starting population of Cartago Nova is 2000, and RTW make an error. I tried to change the governament place, but my in current campaign as Brittania Cartago Nova still is a town, despite the population is 2200.

Its Sardinia. Sometimes I get a Regions_DB generic error when I exit the game, I started as Brittania, and there is not any trace of this bug. Since Rome did not invaded Carthage, such error doesn't exists.

Thank you for the sooner response.

Caius
    I've checked the new descr_strat and it definately gives Carthago Nova a population of 1970. 2000 was the value from the old one which caused the bug. You must be experiencing a problem with overwriting the old file. And actually, I've just thought of why - it's to do with using the unified Rome switch. Solution - put the new descr_strat into your "VBMOrig" folder as well as into data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign.

I can see I'm going to have to release a new 5.1 installer

As for the Sardinia issue I'll look into it and see what's going on there.

My Armenian AAR

is the moral higher in this mod?
    " its funny when you think that if no war had existed there could be no peace ,without war, peace has no oppsite,but in the end it means nothing but what is a idea but words that blossoms in the minds of fickle or brilliant men that give them purpose and to them a meaning ." William Anderson 1781

Quote Originally Posted by the greek
    is the moral higher in this mod?
    Yes, I think chain routs are no longer effective.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

the AI in Alex Reborn could use a tweak. Even on the higher difficulty (I usually play M/M) the Defence of Persia campaign was too easy.

Make the Indians more aggresive.

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Yes, I think chain routs are no longer effective.
    Really? That's a pity, 'cos I think it added to the realism of the vanilla game battles.

Anyways, looks like a pretty sexy mod, but I'm playing on v1.3, can anyone tell me where to download the patch to v1.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa82
    My experience in playing with the Unified Rome & Senate is that the Senatorial missions are an amalgam of those previously assigned to the Julii, Scipii and Brutii. So yes, you can get missions that would originally have gone to the Scipii or Brutii.
    What are the penalties for failing Senatorial missions, since there are no longer rival Roman factions to fight against in the civil war? How does Senate standing benefit/hurt you?
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

For 1.5 patch go to http://www.totalwar.com/
    select 'Support' from side menu then go to 'Support-Rome' and scroll down...

One of the others can probably help more with rest of questions
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus
    Really? That's a pity, 'cos I think it added to the realism of the vanilla game battles.

Anyways, looks like a pretty sexy mod, but I'm playing on v1.3, can anyone tell me where to download the patch to v1.5?

What are the penalties for failing Senatorial missions, since there are no longer rival Roman factions to fight against in the civil war? How does Senate standing benefit/hurt you?
    Actually I made only a very few changes to morale, almost all of them to reduce the morale of chariots. There shouldn't therefore be much difference in battle mechanics between VBM and pure vanilla.

The civil war/senate dynamic is obviously a lot limper when playing with a unified Rome. However, if your Senate standing dips too much you could still suffer financial penalties, exposure of negative traits amongst your family members, or your faction leader being ordered to commit suicide.

My Armenian AAR

Actually I made only a very few changes to morale, almost all of them to reduce the morale of chariots. There shouldn't therefore be much difference in battle mechanics between VBM and pure vanilla.
    I see. That's good for me. ^^

What happens if you refuse to commit suicide?

Hey BAR82

Before I begin, can I just say well done on all three mods for the vanilla game, they have really given me an extended run on each game and made the AI just that bit better.

To my question, hope you don't mind me asking but I'm having a problem with a faction in BI and hoped you might be able to shed some light, since I'm using your mod with the rebel commander mod.

the link is as follows

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1820158

called BI Slavs family tree.

I've not had much luck and thought you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Wow! These mods look and sound incredible. Awesome job.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGlory198
    Wow! These mods look and sound incredible. Awesome job.
    Thankyou kind sir

Quote Originally Posted by Third spearman from the left
    Hey BAR82

Before I begin, can I just say well done on all three mods for the vanilla game, they have really given me an extended run on each game and made the AI just that bit better.

To my question, hope you don't mind me asking but I'm having a problem with a faction in BI and hoped you might be able to shed some light, since I'm using your mod with the rebel commander mod.

the link is as follows

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1820158

called BI Slavs family tree.

I've not had much luck and thought you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.
    Hi Third Spearman from the left,

thankyou also for your feedback. Mod compatibility is always a challenging topic - although VBM makes only very modest departures from Vanilla, it nonetheless makes changes to a number of "fundamental" files in order to achieve this. My general attitude would be to say that VBM should be assumed to be incompatible with any mod other than BugFixer or basic formation mods.

Since this only seems to happen when using the family tree, my instinct would be to say that it has something to do with descr_names.txt or a similar file (I think that's what it's called off the top of my head). However, VBM doesn't actually modify this file, so I'm rather at a loss.

Have you tried uninstalling both mods (thereby reverting to vanilla) and then installing Rebel Commander straight over Vanilla? If you still get the crash, this could indicate that the problem isn't connected to VBM.

My Armenian AAR

2 cute to execute Member Joooray's Avatar

This sounds like a great mod, I haven't downloaded it yet because I'm still in the mid of an campaign I'd like to finish before installing your mod in order to avoid the difficulties that might occur.

Anyway I was wondering if you could evalulate a little about the weakend penalties you get from a prosperous economy. I don't mind the bad traits of the useless asassor or bad farmer family but the bad traits decreasing the managment skill really annoy me, because I have to queque buildings and such in order to stay under 50,000 d.
    So is there a new border in RTW and BI from which on one will receive these bad traits or are they just less common to appear.

Anyway thanks a whole for your work.

Supreme Victory, The Shadow Fort
    © Crazed Rabbit

It suddenly seems that the download link for VBM v5.0 for RTW doesn't work, is it just my browser or is the link broken?
    Posted by John_Longarrow
    Plus there is just something fricking cool about fricking elephants with fricking cannons on their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaNasty
    It suddenly seems that the download link for VBM v5.0 for RTW doesn't work, is it just my browser or is the link broken?
    The link itself works with me, but the downspeed drops to something around 1KB/s after alf is downloaded.
    But maybe that's because I use DownThemAll with Firefox and the page doesn't like Download-Manager.
    I will try again later.

© Crazed Rabbit

Barbarossa, could you upload a mirror to a different site? Mizus is incredibly slow, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman_Man#3
    Barbarossa, could you upload a mirror to a different site? Mizus is incredibly slow, for me at least.
    Had the same problem, took me an afternoon to download this thing. Including one time-out.

© Crazed Rabbit

I've been playing with the VBM a lot more lately, and I've noticed a problem. Not a technical problem, more like a problem in gameplay.

In vanilla, the generals' bodyguard were already slightly imbalanced with the two hitpoints and replenishable numbers, making them invaluable as early-game shock cavalry, especially to cavalry-challenged factions. The vanilla generals' bodyguard was formidable but managable, and the upgrade with the reforms made them relevant in the late-game. These armoured bodyguards are virtually impervious to missile fire, and will eat through low-level infantry without significant losses. For example, a Macedonian general charging a militia hoplite (and even a Greek hoplite) unit head-on will probably suffer no losses upon initial impact as well as break the phalanx, and continue to decimate it. While this isn't that much of a problem in the late-game where armoured and Spartan hoplites are far more common, they insanely imbalance the early-game, providing a low-cost, two-hitpoint, very armoured and replenishable heavy cavalry from the start of the game.

Has anyone else felt this, or am I alone in this?
    Last edited by Quirinus; 05-25-2008 at 18:11.

The links seem to be working fine again :)

I too have found the early general cavalry to be quite potent and formidable, but there are a few ways around this. One, is to play on "very hard" settings where the AI units get stronger bonus' towards you, and the other, is to create your own "house rules" not control the way you play, so you don't exploit any advantages you know about.

One other thing I have noticed, playing the alternate campaign in VBM for BI, is that after capturing the northern celt settlements, I always get a crash after the option screen asking what I want to do with it. It happens in every campaign

Otherwise, all the changes and modifications are great!
    Posted by John_Longarrow
    Plus there is just something fricking cool about fricking elephants with fricking cannons on their heads.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast