Thread: Can you declare a crusade on an Orthodox city?

Default Can you declare a crusade on an Orthodox city?

In many games that I've played I've never seen that as an option, but would like a second opinion to confirm it. Is it possible or not?
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Default Re: Can you declare a crusade on an Orthodox city?

No.

Oddly crusades against Catholic cities are eminently possible.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Oddly, no, although Muslims can declare Jihad on either Catholic or Orthodox, and bandit-controlled cities, too.

Also, I believe the only Catholic cities that are vulnerable to Crusades are those belonging to excommunicated factions.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I've noticed Rebel cities being Crusade targets. Cagliari once became a Rebel-held crusade target due to it being so isolated prior to the patch that fixed naval invasions, as a heretic had spawned in the place and had the religion at well over 50% Heretic.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Rebels can be targeted. I liberated Antioch after a crusade in my French campaign. Too lazy to administer a city so far away, I give it to HRE to try to buy a ceasefire (which didn't work out)... but I gifted it to them anyway... AFTER I sold all the buildings in the city for $$$.

It rebel right after HRE took over, and my cardinals become the pope soon after. Looking at my list of crusade targets, Antioch is included.

Quote Originally Posted by lobo76
    Rebels can be targeted. I liberated Antioch after a crusade in my French campaign. Too lazy to administer a city so far away, I give it to HRE to try to buy a ceasefire (which didn't work out)... but I gifted it to them anyway... AFTER I sold all the buildings in the city for $$$.

It rebel right after HRE took over, and my cardinals become the pope soon after. Looking at my list of crusade targets, Antioch is included.
    A city simply being rebel is not sufficient cause for a crusade. The reason Antioch was on the list was because it was rebel AND muslim religion.

In order to be a Crusade target, a city must be one of the following
    rebel and (muslim or pagan religion)
    Controlled by Muslim faction AND have certain % of catholic or meet other unknown pope criteria.
    Controlled by an excommunicated faction

Not every city meeting these will be on the list, there are only so many spots and the pope chooses them for weird reasons.

Yeah, I never quite figured out the logic behind Popes' choices for crusade targets, although Jerusalem is always on the list, as usually are the capitals of excommed factions.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

The Pope is more willing to call Crusades against settlements with a large number of Catholics that are controlled by a non-catholic faction. If you send enough priests to an Orthodox settlement and raise the number of catholics the Pope may call a crusade against them.
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version