Thread: Malaz: Total War

Post Malaz: Total War

Malaz: Total War
    This mod will focus on recreating the world presented in Steven Erikson’s series the Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. It is the tale of the vast and powerful Malazan Empire, Empress Laseen sends forth legions bent on world conquest, in a realm fraught with betrayal, bad blood, ancient enemies and perilous mysteries. It will feature many bold new innovations in game play to include; epic magic, a massive new campaign map, a reworked diplomacy system, and of course totally awesome new units.

The Level
    I have limited time and resources but am deeply committed to the completion of this project. I will need the sagely advice and veteran experience of other modders to accomplish my goals and hope that this community will be of great assistance. I know there is a large following for the Malazan books and hope to find people who are both motivated and skilled enough to see this project through to its completion.
    Steven Erikson’s series is not yet complete. This means that this mod will most likely go through several revisions along the way in terms of geography and content. To begin with I would like to focus on the Genebackis Campaign and expand from there.

The Hook
    Please respond if you are interested in playing this mod upon completion or if you are interested in helping with its production. All aspects of development will need expertise so please include your potential for contribution included in your responses.

Default Re: Malaz: Total War

Sadly a Malaz TW mod wouldn't do justice to the world created by Steven Erikson.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyDuck
    Sadly a Malaz TW mod wouldn't do justice to the world created by Steven Erikson.
    Ouch!

Well, so much for support from the community.

Mind you, I do agree, it will be very hard to do justice to Steven Erikson's world, but I will continue in my endeavours.

Never give up!

The biggest problem is warrens and how are you going to handle the Moranth?
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyDuck
    The biggest problem is warrens and how are you going to handle the Moranth?
    Warrens aren't necessarily all that important as a physical space. In a pinch they could be placed on the map in a fashion similar to North America in the vanilla game.

I want to use Mage Cadres as a way of moving small units from location to location via Warrens. Mechanically easy, but somewhat sketchy on the scripting side. Hence why I need interested people who are savvy to the core programming.

Reference the Moranth: I have two thoughts;

1. Treat as cavalry on the stratmap with giant movement rates and have specialized dismounted units in the tacmap.

2. Ignore them for now...

Those are my initial ideas on those to items anyways. I am drawing a lot of ideas from the amazing improvements in gameplay that R:TR was able to accomplish. I think that the bar has been sufficiently raised to attempt something of this caliber.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Super revival necro post!

Is there ANYONE willing to start making such a mod? I would definitely help with what I can, I think there are very nice strategic options for a M2TW mod. Even if we forego magic and flying transports for starters, just adding the continents, cities and regular units it will be great.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!