Thread: WW1 mod(anyone interested)

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Default WW1 mod(anyone interested)

With the addition of firearms and (I believe) more advanced field fortifications I think that it might be possible to create a World War 1 mod. I am personaly very interested in this period of history. While it will be a while before we know how moddable Empires will be I would like to know if there is anyone besides me who would be interested in a mod of World War 1.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: WW1 mod(anyone interested)

I don't mean to put you off, but the whole engine of Empires will still not suit a WW mod. There'd be no way to represent trenches, a war of attrition rather than occassional great battles. Still, ETW would still be a lot more suitable than RTW or M2TW, and I think WW mods have been attempted on those a couple of times.

As the TW series develops, its getting harder for people to mod anyway. Even if they include tools, graphical improvements and the more complex engine will make modding effectively a lot more complicated for all but the best modders. Modding M2TW is a lot tougher at modding than RTW, and I expect the leap between M2TW and ETW will be greater than between M2TW and RTW.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    I don't mean to put you off, but the whole engine of Empires will still not suit a WW mod. There'd be no way to represent trenches, a war of attrition rather than occassional great battles. Still, ETW would still be a lot more suitable than RTW or M2TW, and I think WW mods have been attempted on those a couple of times.

As the TW series develops, its getting harder for people to mod anyway. Even if they include tools, graphical improvements and the more complex engine will make modding effectively a lot more complicated for all but the best modders. Modding M2TW is a lot tougher at modding than RTW, and I expect the leap between M2TW and ETW will be greater than between M2TW and RTW.
    Wasn't RTW easier to mod then MTW though? Perhaps the second game on this engine after ETW will be harder to mod...
    And it's not like BI exactly took away features.
    Imperator de Basileia Ton Romaion-A "The long road" M2tw AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...41#post1657841
    Click here if you want to know what a freshly shaven **** looks like.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Nah uh, MTW was way, way easier to mod then RTW. There was a more limited number of files to mod, etc. With RTW, you have to have 3DSMax to make the models or skins, you have to get this speical Campaign Map done, whilest MTW was a more Paint thing, lol.

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

Dude I would love to help you make a WW mod. But may I suggest WW 2 instead? It seems to fit better to the style of play described in the Empire press releases. Such as the focus on occupying buildings. The only thing that would be hard to do would be the airplanes, but that could be handled possibly by using a unit with a "radio" ability or something to call in airstrikes.

Oh wait.... YOU COULD REPRESENT TRENCHES AS BUILDSINGS BUT WITH A WIERD DESIGN! That would take a lot of work however. I think it has good prosects. I will help in any way possible if it is capable of being done.

PS: That sounded overly optimistic didn't it?
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

Thumbs down Re: WW1 mod(anyone interested)

Let's just kill this idea right now, shall we?
    WW1 combat has very few similarities with musketry warfare. It's completely different in nature and as such it would be near impossible to do even the remotest justice to it. The RTW has always been about massed rank warfare. WW1 was not about massed ranks blazing away at each other. Ergo, the engine is by it's very nature not set up to handle a WW1 battle.

As for the WW2 suggestion: Dear god! You are kidding, aren't you? WW1 wasn't the greatest of suggestions but WW2 is such a complete mismatch for the TW engine that I can't do anything other then call your suggestion idiotic. The problems tank warfare, formations and differing infantry weapons would bring are legion. Even the most talented modders would make a mockery of WW2.
    Why don't you play Combat Mission or Company of Heroes instead? Those are engines set up WW2 battles.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

WWI mod? WWII mod!?!?!?? Why not lets have a star wars x-wing simulator mod while we're at it? Or how about a wii tennis mod? That'd be great - everyone loves wii tennis!

Last edited by Daveybaby; 09-02-2007 at 13:54.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Gah! Okay, so thats a no on the world war 1 mod. No more comments needed, you guys are crushing my self esteem
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

well to be fair it wouldnt be THAT bad - tbh they still had "cavalry charges" back then with real horses. Only with the invention on a machine gun it could be prettypointless

then again it could be really epic :D

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs
    Gah! Okay, so thats a no on the world war 1 mod. No more comments needed, you guys are crushing my self esteem
    Don't feel too crushed, the people here that tend to flame others the most are those who have no modding experience themselves and rarely actually come up with any ideas of their own.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

Pfft, at least he is putting ideas out there, also musketry IS riflemanship. It would work fantastic for the empire games because the engine lets you ocuppy buildings. So you could have decently good trench warfare. Also for the moving and shooting part it wouldn't be too difficult to make a maount that is actually a pair of legs? That way they could fire just like cavalry do now in M2 and Rome.

PS: (To be honest, I was actually thinking of trying a Star Wars Medieval 2 mod for the Clone Wars period. I think it could have worked in the end if it was given enough thought and effort.)
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

W&F, a WWI mod would be splendid. I have personally not seen that many WWI games so a WWI mod, if done well, would be very good I think.

I say, if you think you can do it, perhaps make a mod team and such, then reach for it. If things seem impossible, then make them possible. Improvise, compromise, be creative, mask things and alter them, conceal errors and make things appear how you imagine them: it is the way of the artist, of the creator.

I am no modder, but I have been a creator of things with an artistic mind: the principle is the same in many cases.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

Love to play a good WW1 game, but the issue that I keep hitting is that it just wasn't fluid, (yes, I know some parts of it were but alot of it wasn't), the only way I could ever envisage there being a really good WW1 game would be as a FPS or an MMO of some kind, so you could take part in night raids, trench clearance, mining, & so on. With a choice of whether to be army, navy, or airforce...
    Last edited by Prodigal; 09-06-2007 at 07:53.

Medieval games have about the fuidity of Trench Warfare - as in they werent fast moving
    WWI was the last of the "traditional" tactics. It a war fought with new weapons but old tactics. After some thought i reckon it would be pretty good as a mod.