Thread: Kingdoms: Why isn't anyone talking about cultural requirements for units?

Default Kingdoms: Why isn't anyone talking about cultural requirements for units?

For the uninitiated, Kingdoms introduces a new requirement for building units: culture. A certain percent of your city's culture must be your own in order to build military units, and the higher up the tech ladder the units are, the more of your own culture you need. For example early units require as little as 15%, whereas crack troops may need close to 100%.

When I saw this I was floored. Basically it's CA's implementation of "home regions" from MedMod for mtw and EB/RTR for rtw. You can no longer capture an enemy citadel and start cranking out your superunits the next turn. Of course, some of the requirements are too lax so some tweaking might be in order for the modders, but the mechanism is there now.

I gotta admit, for all the grief CA gets, their heads seem to be in the right place a lot of the time. Now if only they could hire a few more AI designers/programmers.

Default Re: Kingdoms: Why isn't anyone talking about cultural requirements for units?

Isn't it just in the Britannia campaign?

Default Re: Kingdoms: Why isn't anyone talking about cultural requirements for units?

It should be in all the campaigns, it's brilliant!

I do indeed love this new feature. After taking over Arran, I pumped out half a stack of Highlander Pikemen to be used as cannon fodder before my Irish get into the fight.

Is it just me or do those culturally foreign units also have lesser morale than your native troops?

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Could this feature be integrated into the Grand Campaign?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

That's really good news for the campaign game; having been an avid supporter and advocator of this approach, i am quite happy to hear this.

Noir

Yeah, it's great. Best recruiting concept since an MTW mod that only allowed recruiting from "home" provinces. Much more realistic. It's easier in real life to conquer and occupy a territory/city than it is to hold on to it. Always thought it a bit lame to recruit English Knights in Trebizond. Great improvement that I sincerely hope CA will incorporate in future games.
    Our greatest glory lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall. Oliver Goldsmith

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    Could this feature be integrated into the Grand Campaign?
    Yes, however the prequisite would then rely on religion rather than "culture", so it'd make Crusading even more difficult. Should somebody port over the KoJ and PoA (Jerusalem and Antioch) it'd make things alot harder for them, it'd also stop the Muslims taking say Paris and creating their best units.

It's a very good new feature, certainly one of the better ones, though the codes available thanks to Kalmar Union deserves a mention, will let you change flags upon culmination of certain pre-req's
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Gettin' Medieval Member King Bob VI's Avatar

I love how each of the campaigns has unique gameplay aspects like that, I can't wait for my copy of kindoms to come in the mail!

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

I love this feature, and the diffusion part is great! Diffusion being the part about bordering factions having small bits of their culture in your province.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

is kingdoms worth it? 40$ i mean.

We do not sow.

This feature seems to only be full-blown in Brittania campaign. It's semi-present in Teutonic, but only for the elite (and I mean Elite) Teutonic units, which decimate everything but require 90% of province's adherence to Catholicism before being recruitable there.