Thread: need heeeeelp

Question need heeeeelp

hi guys
    i read somwhere that if i get a crushing victory with a captian he'll get promoted to a genaral? is that true? i dont know cause i never got a cru.victory with a captian.(need some advise on getting cru.victories). what is the maths(army ratio,army number etc..) behind different types of victory?

PLEASE

Post Re: need heeeeelp

Hi romanboy,
    Unfortunately, captains are not automatically promoted to the rank of General after winning a Heroic Victory, although gaining one helps. Captains are usually promoted and added to your family tree if a faction has a small general to province ratio and the captain has won a high quality victory - either heroic or clear.

Heroic victories are usually triggered by the odds, specified on the pre-battle screen, being heavily against the concluding winner. It also helps if the winner vanquishes most of the enemy while taking as few losses as possible himself.

For Clear Victories, although the odds being against the concluding winner helps earn this sort of victory, the victor has to have vanquished a large proportion of the enemy forces while taking a small number of losses himself.

Sorry for the lack of clarity on this matter, but, sadly, as far as I know, no research has been performed on the matter of victories and captain promotion.

Hope this helps you, my appologies again for the lack of details, good luck, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 09-02-2007 at 17:25.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Default Re: need heeeeelp

I don't know if this is strictly accurate but the last couple of times I've had a Captain promoted to General it has been under the same conditions:

A large army wins a battle, but the General is killed. Subsequently a Captain is promoted to take its place. In both cases the victory was 'Clear' or 'Heroic', but the same thing hasn't happened with a similar scenario and a small army.

It could be coincedence but perhaps the size of the army determines a Captain's promotion? The necessity of a large army being led by a General over a Captain perhaps?

No, you do not need a general to start the battle and die.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGuy
    It could be coincedence but perhaps the size of the army determines a Captain's promotion? The necessity of a large army being led by a General over a Captain perhaps?
    Hmm, from my experiences, army size doesn't seem to have an effect - I have had one/two unit armies gain general promotions in the past. However, these experiences may be an anomalous event - more thorough research will have to be done on the subject before a definitive conclusion can be reached.
    A large army wins a battle, but the General is killed. Subsequently a Captain is promoted to take its place. In both cases the victory was 'Clear' or 'Heroic', but the same thing hasn't happened with a similar scenario and a small army.
    As far as I know, the general dying doesn't have an effect, although promotion can sometimes occur in this situation.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 09-02-2007 at 15:55.

thanks guys

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Romanb,

Just a thought . . .

You might want to consult a couple of the Guild's own guide writers. Check out Quietus's guide on Governors and frogbeategg's game guide. They are done well and good reading to boot. While I'm fairly sure they don't discuss ratios between 'clear' victory and 'close' victory or 'average' victory, they do have a tremendous store of information on the game and its features that you would find most useful. I've also seen a guide on recommended military formations for ancient warfare combat on this site. Just can't remember what the name of it is at the moment. When I first started playing this game, I didn't know very much about ancient warfare - the formations, the units, how to deploy them, etc. We have some serious students of ancient warfare in the Guild. Their counsel and their suggestions are well worth reading. Snoop around this website, you'll find them. I can testify that it's worth it.

As has already been stated - the size of the army has nothing to do with whether your captain gets a promotion to general or not. For the most part it is based on the ratio of faction members to settlements you have at the time of the battle. Adoptions appear for the same reasons - a shortage of faction members compared to the number of controlled settlements - but they are not triggered by a battle, necessarily.

I do believe if you have a huge stack of troops led by a captain and you wipe out a small numbered opponent, you likely won't get a captain promotion even if the ratios are favorable. The game does seem to want your captain to face a respectable challenge so that the promotion is earned. But . . , not being able to see the code that supports this function, I can't testify to this with absolute certainty. I can only speak from experience.

And, no, I've never gotten a promotion for an army when there was a faction member already commanding the army I took into battle, even if he dies subsequently in the battle. That's not how the game works.

Most interesting promotion I think I ever had was with a small army that took on some small German contingent and my captain's unit was wardogs. After that victory and promotion I made sure that my new general always stocked several wardog units in his army. I played him as if he had a prejudice favoring wardogs.

best wishes, and welcome aboard!!
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

And, no, I've never gotten a promotion for an army when there was a faction member already commanding the army I took into battle, even if he dies subsequently in the battle. That's not how the game works.
    My first "Man of the Hour" was from my main general dying in battle. I turned it around and won, and the captain that "took over" the battle was promoted to general.

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SSJVegetaTrunks
    My first "Man of the Hour" was from my main general dying in battle. I turned it around and won, and the captain that "took over" the battle was promoted to general.
    Intersting. I've never had that experience before. I stand corrected.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Quote Originally Posted by SSJVegetaTrunks
    That can sometimes happen. I think that it may be part of a bug which treats the man commanding the army after the battle is completed, as the man who commanded the aggression.

Although often displayed in the way previously described, this bug is more frequently demonstrated after the commanding general has died and another general in the stack has taken over the commanding of the forces. Often the new general earns himself post battle traits, even though he didn't participate in the creation of the victory.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 09-03-2007 at 15:41.

thanks guys.ur advises are really helpful

There's not a "crushing victory", only "Heroic Victory", if I'm not mistaken, but I had my main general die today (thought it was the end of my army, since it was running on fumes at that point) which was followed immediately by someone being promoted due to a Heroic Victory. Quite a useful little occurrence.

I don't know if it's common, but I'm guessing that it has the same chances as any time that it gives credit for a win to a Captain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Why waste time on thought when you have a big charge bonus?

Yes, that is common if the general is killed - I think it's part of a bug which counts the general that takes command after the battle is over, as the actual commander for the battle. This means the new general earns himself any post battle traits that are handed out.

Also, as you said, there is no such thing as a "Crushing Victory", although there is the chance of earning a "Crushing Defeat". It's not frequently seen though - the AI rarely has the intelligence and tactical sense to annihilate their enemy in such a way.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 09-04-2007 at 08:02.

It kind of makes sense that in a scenario where the main General is dead, but the battle is won because 'one man takes the initative and wins' (sounds like a Hollywood movie), then said man would be promoted and hailed as a hero. Napoloen did it frequently.

Perhaps this is what the developers were aiming te re-create?

One thing i can't understand is what 'excuse', apart from necessity, is offered when a Garrison Commander can be adopted. Can anyone think what he has done to deserve his promotion? Or am I over thinking this?

managing a settlment is a hard work. with the rebels and riots and tax problems and ......

leading an army is not a headache like that

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

When expanding rapidly ive regulary received 3 or more MotH per turn. Its as said already its a game mechanic to try and match regions owned to generals. Not an exact match but good enough to rely on.

Once you know you are in this situation you ensure you have captian led battles on the map in locations that would most benefit from a new general.

Any size battle, not sally/siege/assault, that is won by any margin can trigger MotH as long as no general commands it at the end. Ive had dead generals and generals in reinforcements...providing overal command is not a general it can trigger moth.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

I see your point Roman Boy, but, (again I'm over-thinking this) that doesn't explain why my newly promoted Garrison Commander has such average stats. I could understand in real-life if a Governor of a city did an amazing job (as represented by a high management attribute) then said Governor being promoted/adopted; but not the non-entities that I'm saddled with, who have done nothing, and show nothing, to justify promotion.

I know i'm probably reading too much into this, but the sheer randomness of adoptions, especially for Garrison Commanders, realy grates at me.

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

I see your point Roman Boy, but, (again I'm over-thinking this) that doesn't explain why my newly promoted Garrison Commander has such average stats. I could understand in real-life if a Governor of a city did an amazing job (as represented by a high management attribute) then said Governor being promoted/adopted; but not the non-entities that I'm saddled with, who have done nothing, and show nothing, to justify promotion.

I know i'm probably reading too much into this, but the sheer randomness of adoptions, especially for Garrison Commanders, realy grates at me.
    I Have to agree crazyguy, I just got offered to marry my daughter to 16yr old garrison commander with no management skills and no traits? erm so me thinks it is possible that the AI chooses them randomly rather than based on any stats.

also what happens when you decline do they just disapear?
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

Sometimes they turn up as Rebels. Oh I could have married him, sat there with his little band of merry peasants...

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldendunner
    Sometimes they turn up as Rebels. Oh I could have married him, sat there with his little band of merry peasants...

we dont mind peasents they make good training for my hestati
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

Quote Originally Posted by gaiusjulii
    we dont mind peasents they make good training for my hestati
    Although it is sometimes a little better to train on non rebels cause rebels don't often siege your cities and attack you.