Thread: Kingdoms and patch 1.3....

Default Kingdoms and patch 1.3....

Ok, my biggest issue with Medieval 2 has always been the poor AI.

Does Kingdoms improves AI?

Will regular Medieval 2 ever get patched or we are forced to buy the expansion?

Default Re: Kingdoms and patch 1.3....

I think when 1.4 is released you should be able to get it without 1.3 aka kingdoms.
    king of scotland M2tw hotseat campaign.

Dragon's Fire Member Swiss Halberd Pike Landsknecht's Avatar
    In the keep of my Norman influenced motte-and-bailey as a provincial Daimyō, guarded by my loyal huscarls, Swiss Guard, longbowmen & handgonners.

is the current highest patch for Medieval 2, patch 1.2?

as I'll be buying it soon, and so downloaded the 1.2 patch for it yesterday

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss_Halberd_Pike_Landsknecht
    Yes, it is.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

In the keep of my Norman influenced motte-and-bailey as a provincial Daimyō, guarded by my loyal huscarls, Swiss Guard, longbowmen & handgonners.

ah ok thanks

Memento mori... Member Nikos_Rouvelas's Avatar

Yesterday As I was beseiging Antioch part of the Garrison actually sallied and destroyed one of my trebuchets! I was so taken aback I just watched and let the crew get slaughtered.
    "Once out of nature I shall never take
    My bodily form from any natural thing,
    But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
    Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
    To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
    Or set upon a golden bough to sing"
    "Sailing to Byzantium" William Butler Yeats

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

The main menus for the Kingdoms campaigns say 1.4, so for the next patches, expect 1.5 and 1.6 for vanilla and Kingdoms, respectively. I think that's how the RTW Gold DVD is.

no comment.

The Kingdoms factions shud have different behaviours.

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss_Halberd_Pike_Landsknecht

as I'll be buying it soon, and so downloaded the 1.2 patch for it yesterday
    Given the incredibly long list of bugs waiting to be resolved for those who alrealdy have the 1.2 patch, Im definately gonna wait a good ol while before I play MTW2 again...given CA's record lately Im sure the next few patches are only going to uncover more big problems...I can see myself waiting till 1.4 easy-if CA actually go to that much trouble.

And I could be mistaken but I fear a repeat of the RTW syndrome- ie release a couple of patches that dont really fix the game by which point you have announced a new game, so people will be hankering for that and hopefully forget about the buggy game that has not been fixed properly.

And given that ETW has just been announced...

Given how CA started- STW and MTW1 were awsome, I think they have gone downhill fast all things considered. I certainly wont be rusing out to buy ETW like I did with all the other base TW games...and I think that says a lot.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    Given how CA started- STW and MTW1 were awsome, I think they have gone downhill fast all things considered. I certainly wont be rusing out to buy ETW like I did with all the other base TW games...and I think that says a lot.
    Ahhhh... rose tinted spectacles, you can't beat em.

STW and MTW were both pretty buggy when released (especially MTW). Bearing in mind how much more complex both the campaign map and the combat engine have become since then, i dont think RTW or M2 were in that much worse shape overall.

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybaby
    Ahhhh... rose tinted spectacles, you can't beat em.

STW and MTW were both pretty buggy when released (especially MTW). Bearing in mind how much more complex both the campaign map and the combat engine have become since then, i dont think RTW or M2 were in that much worse shape overall.
    Well perhaps, although the only real bug I recall hearing a lot about for MTW was the 56 year bug- which did get sorted. I dont recall any others getting a lot of airtime...

And of course, RTW and after are much more complex but from what I read RTW is still suffering from a lot of big bugs and CA is now into developing its 2nd release after RTW...

And have you seen the list at the top of this page of problems with the 1.2 patch?? MTW may have been buggy but it was fixed to a better extent.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Default Sv: Re: Kingdoms and patch 1.3....

Personally I think RTW turned out fine in the end.
    Yes it had a very rough start but with 1.5 it shined, the AI was way better then in 1.0 and most bugs where gone.
    With M2TW seems to follow the same path, they are slowly getting there and hopefully the last patch for M2TW will make it shine like a jewel.

The *small* problem with 1.2 is it doens't patch anythign serious.

I bought from Game today M2TW

I couldn't believe how INSANE the time it took to install the 1.2 patch, longest install I've had of anything ever.

It was at least 1.5 hours I think, far far longer than installing the game itself

haven't had much time at all to play though, as was at work and been busy, but am adjusting graphics so it runs smoothly,

hopefully should be fun

beforehand was as usual having lots of fun playing MTW Gold, using the tactic of mainly having crossbow / longbowmen, and around 40% pike / halberd / billsmen
    at the front in deep formations.

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

The best "patch" for M2TW is Lusted's LTC and even that doesnt induce me to play. I'll wait and see if a "1.5" comes out before I give M2TW one last chance.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omisan

Does Kingdoms improves AI?

Strategy AI, including diplomacy (Based on one long game as Novogorod).

1. A kingdom in trouble will now make a reasonable peace. For instance, Poland asked me for a ceasefire. I didn't want won because a mission offered me 2500â to take Danzig, and the Poles had it. I offered them a ceasefire in exchange for Danzig, just for the heck of it. To my amazement, the took the deal and were glad. They were then able to concentrate on their war with the Holy Roman Empire and improve their overall standing.

2. You don't have the "erosion" in standing now. If you have good relations with a country, they no longer go sour automatically. For instance, the Lithuanians have been loyal allies to me throughout the game.

Backstabbing is still quite possible, however. The Danes were my allies and relations were amicable when they backstabbed me. By that time, I'd become very powerful and had an army in Scandinavia, which might or might not be a factor.

3. There's still too many small, vulnerable partial stacks running around, but there does seem to be fewer of them. There are more worthwhile AI stacks. I haven't seen as many stacks of useless peasants, either.

Battle AI

I can't really say yet, because I'm not clear on whether the improvements are due to better AI or improved unit characteristics. Pikes are better, for instance.

I can say the AI doesn't deploy in deathtraps in valleys as much. At least so far they've taken the sensible option to deploy on hills.

I've had more good battles than bad. The best one I attribute to the excellent armor on Teuton forces more than AI capability. Its hard to kill Order spearmen with Kazaks.

The worst case was when I had a huge but still outnumbered cavalry army that was trying to releive a siege. The Dane besiegers had a large force of Vikings, Huscarl cavalry, archers and a bodyguard unit. Their whole army is facing me, with me above them on a small slope, when they suddenly turn around to attack the three units of militia archers sallying out of the besieged town.

It was a massacre. I destroyed 97 percent of them at the cost of 42 Kazacks, light casualties to one Boyar Sons unit and two routed archer militia and 50 percent losses to a third. My general's bodyguard captured 185 prisoners, as I recall.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."