Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let us speculate on the subject of fantasy units...

Default Let us speculate on the subject of fantasy units...

At one point, the swedish army supposedly experimented with elk-riding cavalry. It failed because the animals are not trainable like horses. I predict that the Swedish faction will have such a unit.

For the Americas: I am guessing ahistorically regimented Indian units. Cannon-armed canoos and field artillery is also likely to make an appearance.

Russians may get access to the Tsar-cannon, historically a huge but impractical artillery piece.
    Last edited by Kongeslask; 09-02-2007 at 20:21.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Default Re: Let us speculate on the subject of fantasy units...

Why stop with elk cavalry, just give the Swedes Santas Scythed Sleigh-O-Death. And for those of you who don't know their American history, George Washington really did have a mech suit, CA is not making that one up. If there is pirates in the game then there have to be ninjas. Which faction ends up with them is anyones guess.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Certainly a worthwhile topic - given the affection CA has on fantasy units its about time the whining stops and instead some ideas are put forth.

Here's my suggestion:

The first "submarine" was more or less a barrel like wooden enclosure that could man a single person and was submerged slightly below the surface of the ocean. Its aim theoretically was to sabotage enemy vessels by silently approaching and damaging mechanically their hulls.

Perhaps we can get such a unit for the new exciting naval encounters. It should be cheap, expendible, fairly useless and so found in abundance in every AI fleet stack.

Noir
    Last edited by Noir; 09-02-2007 at 18:11.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

CA, we love you guys (or at least I do) but if you find a unit you're working on in this thread, scrap it.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Jacobite Berserkers. Crazed Scottish clansmen who fight with a great 2h-axe.

Sami Infantry. Because the Sami have historically had to fight to preserve their freedom or whatever CA said about the Sami Axemen of M2TW: Kingdoms.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

South-Essex. This is the famous South Essex, which light company was later commanded by Richard Sharpe. It managed to see action at every great battle of the Peninsula war and France. It is able to fire four rounds a minute without the use of the ram-rod. It is interspersed by the famous chosen men of the 95th.
    However it is often commanded by sadistic officers and a fiendish seargent. There is no way of stopping this regiments storyline to victory!

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

They always come up with something "funky" in the mid-east. Instead fo elephants with cannons, I think they are going to go with a natural evolution to this unit and swap things around...Cannons that fire elephants.

Yeah don't laugh...I think this might even get in with CA's previous incarnations of 'flair' units!

Only kidding CA! I love you! How about you give me a job at your company where I can get payed for playing your games?

Mega
    Last edited by Megalos; 09-02-2007 at 23:48.

"Break in the Sun, till the Sun breaks down"

Sharks fully armed with underwater laser rifles on their heads. They can engage hostile fleets stealthily crippling them with merely a few shots. It could be secret advanced technology that is to be unlocked somewhere in the Western world as it was hidden by the believers who accidentally stumbled upon the invention but locked it away
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Hehe....well what about navy elelphants to compliment the naval warfare?

They could use their trunks to breathe under water and they could use their tusks to gore ship hulls....now all we need is some kind of goggles for 'em and we are away!

Mega

"Break in the Sun, till the Sun breaks down"

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Let us speculate on the subject of fantasy units...

Actually elephants were mentioned in the GameStar article.

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Let us speculate on the subject of fantasy units...

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    Actually elephants were mentioned in the GameStar article.

Well that makes sense since the afghans used them excellently against the british in the first anglo-afghan war.

The submarine thing. If I am not mistaken it was american from that guy with the key and the kite Benjamin Franklin! Thats it. Anyways it was made for a four person crew looked like an underwater wooden ball and actually had a drill linked to the top to put holes in the ship's bilge so the crew wouldn't detect it until it was too late. The british actually feared this so much they stopped putting in warships too close to american ports or something like that. (That is actually true by the way.)
    Last edited by ratbarf; 09-03-2007 at 02:03.
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

But what I really want to see make an appearence are the incindary monkeys. You light up the wick set them at the enemy and duck as they explode
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Heres some fantasy special abilities:

Scottish units get the Highland Fling ability, giving a charge bonus similar to the Warcry of earlier games.

British Discipline gives the British troops a boost of morale to keep them fighting at those important points of battle.

Thin Red Line gives a rate of fire boost to British troops 2 ranks deep.

Double Tot gives a morale boost to ships at the expense of accuracy & higher chance of getting into irons or other handling error.

Cat 'o Nine Tails gives a handling speed boost to ships but at the expense of morale.

General Winter causes a wintry blast to do severe morale damage to the enemies of Russia.

Eat Cake gives French Royalist troops a combat boost against Rebels.

maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Don't forget the "Summon Kraken" ability for whoever finds the heart of Davy Jones.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Sharks fully armed with underwater laser rifles on their heads. They can engage hostile fleets stealthily crippling them with merely a few shots. It could be secret advanced technology that is to be unlocked somewhere in the Western world as it was hidden by the believers who accidentally stumbled upon the invention but locked it away

Sharks with frikkin' laser-beams on their heads? It's frikkin' genius!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

How about a sniper? In their unit card it can say "...and can shoot a squirel off a branch from 500 yards away"

Then we can have people in MP complain about people sniping their officers and leaders which everyone knows during this era is very un-gentelmen like

Or better yet, straw infantry! Take a page right out of the movie The Patriot.
    Straw infantry cant be moved once they are placed on the map and are ment to intimidate your foe into believing you have a massive army
    Last edited by Mailman653; 09-03-2007 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653
    How about a sniper? In their unit card it can say "...and can shoot a squirel off a branch from 500 yards away"

Then we can have people in MP complain about people sniping their officers and leaders which everyone knows during this era is very un-gentelmen like

I sure hope they do have snipers. A sniper killed Lord General Brock in the War of 1812. Nearly cost us the damn thing too....

[QUOTE=ratbarf]The submarine thing. If I am not mistaken it was american from that guy with the key and the kite Benjamin Franklin! Thats it. Anyways it was made for a four person crew looked like an underwater wooden ball and actually had a drill linked to the top to put
    Quote Originally Posted by ratbarf
    in the ship's bilge so the crew wouldn't detect it until it was too late. The british actually feared this so much they stopped putting in warships too close to american ports or something like that. (That is actually true by the way.)
    It was not invented by Benjamin Franklin. It was invented by a Yalee by the name of David Bushnell. Though most of your technical facts are right, it had a one man crew, never sank a ship, and had absolutely no effect on British naval actions. The Royal Navy continued to occupy whichever coastal port they chose with impunity.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Sasquatch Beserkers.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

[QUOTE=Cornwallis]
    The submarine thing. If I am not mistaken it was american from that guy with the key and the kite Benjamin Franklin! Thats it. Anyways it was made for a four person crew looked like an underwater wooden ball and actually had a drill linked to the top to put

It was not invented by Benjamin Franklin. It was invented by a Yalee by the name of David Bushnell. Though most of your technical facts are right, it had a one man crew, never sank a ship, and had absolutely no effect on British naval actions. The Royal Navy continued to occupy whichever coastal port they chose with impunity.

Really? I was pretty sure it scared the hell out of someone so they didn't do that. I got it off of a TV show on 17th to mid 20th naval stuff.

Let me guess....an american TV show?

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

I reckon one thing might make an appearance - balloons. Montgolfier balloons were used as observation platforms by the French and later by the Americans during battle...

Perhaps increasing line of sight? Enabling hidden units (battlefield assassins, hidden ambushing units) to be seen?

paratroopers :D
    Benjimen franklin said something along these lines:
    "Where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defence, so that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not, in many places, do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
    ah you gotta love MoH Airbourne :P

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

I'm still surprised that over the course of many total war games and expansions, the scottish faction has yet to field that most dreaded of missile units - the caber tosser. The sight of hundreds of kilt wearing scotsmen, faces painted blue, carrying this traditional weapon is enough to crush the morale of even the stoutest of foes.

Admittedly the missile attack has a very short range, but any hit is a guaranteed kill. Also horses tend to trip over the used cabers, which is nice.

The scots often used this fearsome weapon with great success during their many conflicts with the english. At the Battle of Bannockburn, King Edward II was heard to mutter "I hate those scottish tossers".
    Last edited by Daveybaby; 09-04-2007 at 10:23.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Really? I was pretty sure it scared the hell out of someone so they didn't do that. I got it off of a TV show on 17th to mid 20th naval stuff.
    The Americans had some primitive naval mine devices at the time of the civil war, and although not a major impact, it had at least some effect close to land etc. The submarine, IIRC, did not.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 09-04-2007 at 12:35.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

I've got one- Christian blunderbusses. During an expedition into the Sahara shortly before the game commences the Moorish army included a small contingent of captured Christian marines armed with blunderbusses.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybaby
    I'm still surprised that over the course of many total war games and expansions, the scottish faction has yet to field that most dreaded of missile units - the caber tosser. The sight of hundreds of kilt wearing scotsmen, faces painted blue, carrying this traditional weapon is enough to crush the morale of even the stoutest of foes.

Admittedly the missile attack has a very short range, but any hit is a guaranteed kill. Also horses tend to trip over the used cabers, which is nice.

The scots often used this fearsome weapon with great success during their many conflicts with the english. At the Battle of Bannockburn, King Edward II was heard to mutter "I hate those scottish tossers".

In the meantime we obviously have

• Polish winged hussars - they can actually fly
    • France can get Napoleon as a hero - if deployed everyone else fights like muppets
    • The Dutch edam hurlers - targets die in a horrible explosion of cheese
    • Etc, etc...

Of course if some of the Far Eastern countries do get some involvement the floodgates of fantasy can really open!
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist

The show was Canadian actually but I watched it sometime ago and some of the details maybe sketchy but I do know that it did scare the crap out of someone and my description is for the most part correct. Also it may not have been the "first" submarine but it was definatley an early one.

By the way I have a head the size of an elephant. (ego)

Also to add to to the list I would like to see tigers with mini gatling guns strapped to them and with little indian boys firing them. Obviously a historical unit that fits with the crazy east theme of CA
    Last edited by ratbarf; 09-05-2007 at 02:05. Reason: spelling

light-mobile cannon unit, drawn by camels instead of horses.

goat mercenary cavalries - ridden by small boys.

family in-laws, now available as a free unit for characters with bad-in-laws trait. reduce income by 10%. -5 authority. count as peasants on battlefield.

random Giant Squid/Man-Eating Whale/Sea Monster spawn. in order to fill in all the empty spaces in the ocean. random attack on shippings(reduce 5% trade) and military vessels.
    Shinai Fodder

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast